Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

USMC ILBE Packs

:

USA

Old March 25th, 2010, 19:22   #1
Conker

USMC ILBE Packs

I'd post a "wanted" ad, but I know these aren't very common around here, so figured it'd be more effective to post here if anyone knows where to find them.

What I currently have: a main pack (Gen2), based on the Arc'Teryx Tango, with the lid (Gen1, retrofitted with Gen2 buckles and aftermarket zip) and the straps (Gen1).
I'm currently using a blast belt instead of the ILBE belt and it works quite well, but I'd prefer one with more padding (as the original belt).

I also have an assault pack (Gen2), designed from the Arc'Teryx Charlie, on my way (should arrive tomorrow or maybe monday).

I'll use the assault pack mainly for airsoft, but I love the design of the main pack, as well as modularity the MOLLE provides, so I also use it as an hiking backpack. To do that, there's some stuff I'm looking to get to have the complete set and be much more effective as a system...

What I need to complete the set:
  • Straps (Gen2)
  • Outdoor Research CB pack cover

AFAIK there are also additional pouches which attach to the sides... anyone know how they are called?

I'll post pics of all I have as soon as I get the assault pack... Meanwhile, if anyone knows where to find these, feel free to let me know!

Thanks!
Conker

Last edited by Conker; August 30th, 2010 at 23:45..
Conker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 21:21   #2
bakercompany

Hey Conker--

I love my ILBE assault pack, but I've always ended up passing on the main pack. I don't have any experience with it, but if all you want it for is camping, there are MUCH lighter options out there.

That said, I collect all things MARPAT. Can't get enough. It's a real problem.

In my experience, eBay is by far your best option for all of it. The Source USMC WXP 3L Tactical hydro system can be had on a few sites, but for an enormous premium. For example, www.optactical.com has the 3L Tactical in coyote for $54, but if you want the USMC 3L Tactical, it'll set you back $97. You might also see if Source has an online store, but again just keep checking eBay; I eventually scored a used one for $20, plus the cost of a new bite valve at MEC.

There are two "sustainment" pouches, but they're not for the standard ILBE pack system. They're for the Recon ILBE, and I'm not sure what they're called exactly. The PMICE pdf on the Recon ILBE refers to them simply as "supplemental pouches." I think you can get them commercially, but not in MARPAT. Here's a few for sale; you can see the Recon main and assault packs too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2-x-USMC-REC...13649827635870

Since these are preposterously expensive, you might consider some of the AITES 200rd SAW pouches that are currently flooding eBay, or a MOLLE sustainment pouch in coyote. They're not too hard to find.

As to the radio pouch, I got mine thrown in with a Gen 1 MOLLE assault pack and a pile of pouches I bought for a friend on eBay. Keep checking and you'll find one for cheap. Likewise with the ILBE waist belt. Can't help you on the pack cover; www.us-elitegear.com used to carry a lot of this stuff, but they're scaling back their inventory big time.

Hope that helps...enjoy the assault pack!
bakercompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 21:34   #3
-Skeletor-
If your not too picky over colors...

Radio Pouch
http://www.specialtydefense.com/c-28-radio-pockets.aspx

Sustainment Pouch
http://www.specialtydefense.com/p-17...ent-pouch.aspx

Hydration
http://www.specialtydefense.com/c-33...g-systems.aspx
Old March 26th, 2010, 22:51   #4
Conker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakercompany View Post
I love my ILBE assault pack, but I've always ended up passing on the main pack. I don't have any experience with it, but if all you want it for is camping, there are MUCH lighter options out there.
You're right that it's pretty heavy, and at first I was unsure... During my first hike, I found it almost too much... But after having adjusted it correctly, and seeing two of my friend's backpacks fails (we were 10 for a 5-days hike... one broke the 2nd, the other the 4th day), I did enjoy its hardcore construction.

Also, being "mission adaptable" like this with the MOLLE webbing all over it is really appreciated. Adding radio, knife, medic, map, GPS pouches, etc... is much more easier, and a SAW pouch happens to perfectly fit my Canon S5 IS with the attachementadapter, sun hood and filters at hand.... And other large backpacks of this size with MOLLE are even more expensive (got the Gen2 with Gen1 straps and Gen1 hood for 150$ shipped in very good shape, with 15$ on top of that for an ILBE repair pack (SupplyCaptain) to replace the Gen1 buckles.

Quote:
That said, I collect all things MARPAT. Can't get enough. It's a real problem.

In my experience, eBay is by far your best option for all of it. The Source USMC WXP 3L Tactical hydro system can be had on a few sites, but for an enormous premium. For example, www.optactical.com has the 3L Tactical in coyote for $54, but if you want the USMC 3L Tactical, it'll set you back $97. You might also see if Source has an online store, but again just keep checking eBay; I eventually scored a used one for $20, plus the cost of a new bite valve at MEC.
I'll keep watching eBay I guess! I prefer issue as much as I can, but if it's compatible (locks on the main pack) like the issue one, it'll do the job.

Quote:
There are two "sustainment" pouches, but they're not for the standard ILBE pack system. They're for the Recon ILBE, and I'm not sure what they're called exactly. The PMICE pdf on the Recon ILBE refers to them simply as "supplemental pouches." I think you can get them commercially, but not in MARPAT. Here's a few for sale; you can see the Recon main and assault packs too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2-x-USMC-REC...13649827635870

Since these are preposterously expensive, you might consider some of the AITES 200rd SAW pouches that are currently flooding eBay, or a MOLLE sustainment pouch in coyote. They're not too hard to find.
I wasn't even aware of the existence of the recon pack! LOL.
As I previously said, I prefer the original pouches in MARPAT, but having them in Coyote Brown would do the job... Especially if I happen to save 80 bucks :P

Quote:
As to the radio pouch, I got mine thrown in with a Gen 1 MOLLE assault pack and a pile of pouches I bought for a friend on eBay. Keep checking and you'll find one for cheap. Likewise with the ILBE waist belt. Can't help you on the pack cover; www.us-elitegear.com used to carry a lot of this stuff, but they're scaling back their inventory big time.

Hope that helps...enjoy the assault pack!
The radio pouch is probably the only one I'd need the original. Actually, I don't know if anything was coming with the one I bought, lol... I'll see when I get the package monday (should have arrived today... but got delayed -oh so surprisingly- by Canada Post). But... Gen2 in very good shape for 54$? How could I pass that! :P

I saw Eberlestock has a Coyote Brown backpack cover for ~18 USD (large version), I think I'll go with it.

Thanks for the input! I'll post an update when I get the stuff monday.

Conker
Old March 27th, 2010, 18:40   #5
bakercompany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conker View Post
I wasn't even aware of the existence of the recon pack! LOL.

Gen2 in very good shape for 54$? How could I pass that! :P
The Recon ILBE assault pack is badass...that's something I'd think about for camping. I really like the big zippered panel opening to let you get at all your stuff.

$54!? Congrats, man...that's an amazing deal. I was lugging my Gen. 2 around the Niagara Escarpment just a few hours ago. It was $130 shipped, but that was about two years ago when they routinely went for nearly $300...I was pretty pleased. Would love to see some pics when yours shows up!
Old March 29th, 2010, 02:02   #6
Conker

You're right, the recon pack would probably be more suitable for most hikes since the main pack is pretty big, but for 5-days hikes the main has -so far- been great for me!

Yeah, I'm pretty happy for the price. I should receive it tomorrow, if Canada Post doesn't screw me again.

I gave the link to a friend who was interested in buying one (there was not much left) and as soon as I know that he dealt with it, I'll post it if there's anyone else interested. This surplus had a bunch of Gen1 and a few Gen2, too.

For the hydration pack, I've already got a USMC camelback in CB as well as a few spare ILBE compatible buckles, so if anyone knows or has pictures showing exactly how it attaches to the main pack, it'd be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old March 31st, 2010, 00:17   #7
bakercompany

Not sure what you mean about attaching the hydro pack. As far as I know you just fit it in the assault pack's internal sleeve. Not sure about the main pack.

Is your pack one of the Source 3L packs with two 3/4" fastex at the top and bottom? I'm quite sure those fastex are there so you can stow the shoulder straps and attach the unit directly to the back of your armour. There's lots of photos of Marines who snap the top set of buckles around the drag handle and the bottom set through a row of PALS.

I know the Brits use the same pack; a few of their vests have integrated 3/4" female buckles on the back to allow one to quickly attach and detach the hydro pack.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 03:09   #8
Conker

Nope, it's a CB Camelbak Thermobak repro. I'm looking for a Source though.
I was just wondering how does the Source Tactical 3L attaches to the ILBE, so I could see if I can just add the buckles to the Thermobak, at least I'd have the functionnality.

Just bought two radio pouches on eBay, Gen2 for 4.99 (+ ship) each There's a few left, if anyone else is interested I'll PM you the link & seller.

Just saw a pair of the recon pack's sustainment pouches go for approx 140$ on eBay... I don't think I'll get them, lol. I'll probably go for CB 200 rnds SAW pouches if I ever need more capacity (and I don't think I will, the main pack is quite big^^).

I'll leave the assault pack for minor repairs this weekend, hopefully next week everything will be in!
Old April 6th, 2010, 18:37   #9
bakercompany

I don't think the Source 3L is "meant" to attach to the outside of the pack, but I may be wrong. Personally, I don't want the weight of 3 litres of water dangling off some MOLLE straps by a few fastex.

Conker, you mentioned in another thread that you've ordered from shootercbgear.com. I'm thinking about picking up a Flyye plate carrier and their prices are pretty good. What was shipping like? Would you consider it a good place to shop?

Nice score on the radio pouches, btw.
Old August 30th, 2010, 23:45   #10
Conker

Almost forgot that thread... I took the pics of the ILBE packs family.

The whole ILBE pack family comparison with a (repro) TAD FAST-PC v2

Main pack (front) with Source WXP hydration pack attached to the front

Main pack (back). Gen2 but with Gen1 straps and Gen1 lid retrofitted with Gen2 buckles.

Assault pack (back)

Main pack with assault pack attached (front).

Main pack with assault pack attached (side).

Overall: I love it.
Old November 30th, 2012, 11:11   #11
jager

I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping you can help me out.

I recently purchased a new Gen 2 Ilbe, and I am curious about why you are using the Gen 1 lid. Is there a material difference?
jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 03:01   #12
Conker

No reason actually. I got it like that
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > USA