Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Contour+ Issues

:

Gear Discussion

Old March 18th, 2014, 23:32   #1
thebreadbandit.

Contour+ Issues

Hey guys, looking for help from anyone who has ran a Contour helmet camera of any sort.

I've just recently purchased & received a used Contour+ from Ebay. All the accessories are fine, and the camera is very lightly used (not a single scratch on the lens or body, except a few scuffs where it mounts). However, I've been sitting here for the past 1.5 hours trying to figure out why this bugger won't turn on. I've troubleshooted, reformatted the card, updated the firmware, the battery is fully charged (green indicating light), and when I turn it on while it's plugged into the computer the camera beeps and connects as a Mass Storage Device like it's supposed to. The problem is when I eject and unplug the camera from the USB, it still refuses to turn on.

Hopefully someone can clear this up, I'd love to have this working before the season starts. Don't really want to send it back since I got a great deal on it ($450+tax new, only bought it for $140 from the auction muahaha).

PS. I've contacted the seller and he says he's never had any problems with the camera, and is willing to fully refund if I can't get it to work.

Instagram: thebreadbandit
thebreadbandit. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2014, 03:38   #2
Red62

Can you do a factory reset? Is it possible to do a firmware update?

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk
**Certified Tornado Tech**Will fix your guns for food and BBs**
Red62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2014, 09:35   #3
thebreadbandit.

Unfortunately all I can find regarding a "Reset" is resetting the camera's video settings on Storyteller (video importing software), but I'll try it when I get home. Firmware is updated to V1.36 (latest for this camera model). What a doozy, I'll probably bring it into Best Buy or some sort of electronic store to check out what's wrong. Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red62 View Post
Can you do a factory reset? Is it possible to do a firmware update?

Old March 19th, 2014, 10:29   #4
MultipleParadox

Sounds like a dumb question but are you positive your battery is good and charged?

GBBR- bang bang -- Giggle

AEG-- merrrzip merrzip -- meh
MultipleParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2014, 10:36   #5
thebreadbandit.

Don't worry man, I'm constantly asking that myself hahaha. But yes, I'm 99.9% sure it's charged. In the manual it states that the battery indicator light (when plugged in via USB to computer for charging) will be Red when dead/ charging & Green when fully charged. I left it plugged in for 3.5 hours (recommended charging time is 4 hours), and the indicator light was Green the entire time.

I'll try and bring it into a store to trouble shoot whether it's the battery or camera itself. I think the Contour+ and the newer model Contour+2 use the same battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultipleParadox View Post
Sounds like a dumb question but are you positive your battery is good and charged?

Last edited by thebreadbandit.; March 19th, 2014 at 10:43..
Old March 19th, 2014, 10:46   #6
MultipleParadox

I'm sure you tried this but since it's not explicitly written I'm gonna ask anyways:

If it's anything like the +2, it should power on automatically when you flip the record switch; I'm guessing yours don't in that case?

Old March 19th, 2014, 11:05   #7
thebreadbandit.

Negative on that.
Also, the only time it beeps is when it's plugged in and I hold the power button for 3-seconds to turn it off (2 beeps), or I hold down the Bluetooth button (3 beeps).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultipleParadox View Post
If it's anything like the +2, it should power on automatically when you flip the record switch; I'm guessing yours don't in that case?

Old March 19th, 2014, 13:56   #8
SuperHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebreadbandit. View Post
Don't worry man, I'm constantly asking that myself hahaha. But yes, I'm 99.9% sure it's charged. In the manual it states that the battery indicator light (when plugged in via USB to computer for charging) will be Red when dead/ charging & Green when fully charged. I left it plugged in for 3.5 hours (recommended charging time is 4 hours), and the indicator light was Green the entire time.

I'll try and bring it into a store to trouble shoot whether it's the battery or camera itself. I think the Contour+ and the newer model Contour+2 use the same battery.
It dead or worn out battery will still turn green when charging. The minute you turn it on, the electronics put a electrically load, and it will automatically turn off.

You paid $149??? Store are blowing them out for $99 new.
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2014, 14:10   #9
thebreadbandit.

I see, cheers for the heads up. That's what I've been thinking, which is why I'd like to bring it into Best Buy, etc. to try it out on a new battery.
& seriously? I've searched online and the lowest price I've seen for one is $250. Perhaps you can enlighten me on these "stores" so I can return this one and buy a new one. (;

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHog View Post
It dead or worn out battery will still turn green when charging. The minute you turn it on, the electronics put a electrically load, and it will automatically turn off.

You paid $149??? Store are blowing them out for $99 new.

Old March 19th, 2014, 14:20   #10
coach
aka coachster

You should be able to power it on while it's still plugged in. That is how I run an external power supply on it for long periods of recording.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2014, 14:49   #11
thebreadbandit.

What's got me baffled is that it powers on and connects to my laptop (comes up as a Mass Storage Device/ "Contour+") perfectly, but only when it's plugged in via USB. I think SuperHog might have the solution though, it's most likely the battery.

So are you saying camera records while it's plugged in? Or am I misunderstanding your statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach View Post
You should be able to power it on while it's still plugged in. That is how I run an external power supply on it for long periods of recording.

Old March 19th, 2014, 14:58   #12
SuperHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebreadbandit. View Post
I see, cheers for the heads up. That's what I've been thinking, which is why I'd like to bring it into Best Buy, etc. to try it out on a new battery.
& seriously? I've searched online and the lowest price I've seen for one is $250. Perhaps you can enlighten me on these "stores" so I can return this one and buy a new one. (;
Guess you missed the blowout sales around Xmas. Several of my friends picked theirs up for $99
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2014, 15:13   #13
thebreadbandit.

Damn, seemed too good to be true haha.

Quote:
Guess you missed the blowout sales around Xmas. Several of my friends picked theirs up for $99
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg hmm.jpeg (3.9 KB, 70 views)

Old March 19th, 2014, 16:21   #14
MultipleParadox

Contour+ Issues

Quote:

Are you sure they were contour+?
The contour gps was on liquidation at 150$ or so for a while, got a few at 110$ tax in

I personally got a Contour+2 at 250$ tax in not so long ago (sold by an individual from his car trunk, he probably got them much cheaper, if you see what I mean)

To OP: but yeah, you should be able to record while plugged in
You could always make do with that and an external battery pack. Also, might as well check and clean the battery contacts (in the camera). Could be as stupid as that

Old March 19th, 2014, 16:29   #15
SF_Chewy

Sounds like a battery issue. The battery can also be charged directly in the camera itself, so you could try to plug it in and see if any lights turn off/on (just to rule out the charger being bad).

Just FYI if you didn't already know, Contour has closed it's doors so it's stuff is harder to find their stuff now. So if you need a battery you may be stuck with ACM stuff off of ebay.
SF_Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion