Is Canada ready for games like these?

:

Airsoft Media

Old December 1st, 2011, 00:07   #76
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
One problem I've always thought of (not ever having attended a game that lasted more than 6 hours) is that many Canadian airsofters can't afford/aren't willing to spend money on a gun that will effectively last them a 24 hour period. I know that my gun (running regular old NiMH batteries of the 9.6v 1600mA variety) barely had enough juice for that 6 hour game, in fact my AEG went through two batteries. I don't drop hi-cap after hi-cap through my gun either, but only shoot at things I think I have a high chance of hitting with a few shots of semi-auto.

So without investing in a bunch of nice LiPO batteries these longer games aren't a realistic alternative for those of us on budgets.
I Have played several 24 hour games and shot less than 100 rounds..

One of the best ones I went to .. I shot not a round for 22 of the 24 hours

Shooting is not always the best means to achieve objectives.

Many of the 24 hour games I design and run.. if done 100% right.. many objectives can be met without shooting at all
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 00:11   #77
apparition

if your gun cant make it over 6 hours on 1 battery during a milsim with minimal shooting, your battery either wasnt charged fully or is an extremely shitty battery. Ive had a 1600mah run all day skirmishes shooting a few hundred rounds and never died ever. During milsims i typically shoot 1-2 mags the entire day and even in the 17hour sim we had here in calgary during the summer my battery didnt die.

Congratulations; you have already won the contest!
apparition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 00:34   #78
TaroBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
One problem I've always thought of (not ever having attended a game that lasted more than 6 hours) is that many Canadian airsofters can't afford/aren't willing to spend money on a gun that will effectively last them a 24 hour period. I know that my gun (running regular old NiMH batteries of the 9.6v 1600mA variety) barely had enough juice for that 6 hour game, in fact my AEG went through two batteries. I don't drop hi-cap after hi-cap through my gun either, but only shoot at things I think I have a high chance of hitting with a few shots of semi-auto.

So without investing in a bunch of nice LiPO batteries these longer games aren't a realistic alternative for those of us on budgets.
I've never run out of juice on any type of battery during a game. Ever.
Old December 1st, 2011, 00:41   #79
Mitchell12
vision impaired

Anyone who says you can't "Will" your way through a 24 hour even need to get a grip. If you aren't staying and completing a milsim it's because you don't want to. Not because you Can't(injuries aside).

You can tell yourself otherwise if it makes you feel better, and yes of course conditioning and preparedness make the whole thing more comfy but at the end of the day unless you broke a leg or something there's no excuse. I know because I've been there.

Me and my team mates are long distance hikers and we've all been on the side of cliff's with the ocean spraying our broken ass old tent and us soaking wet, cold, in pain and extreme fatigue. Yet we still all found the WILL to sling our 60 pound rucks back on and continue forward to cover the next portion of the trip.

I'm not claiming to be a bad ass but if you let something break you then it will.
Mitchell12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 02:11   #80
delendam_pandion

One good thing could be to first discuss what milsim is. Or; "What is milsim for me?"

Someone focus on staying awake 24h, another one goes on about NODs and a third one about batteries not lasting.

For me when going to a milsim I think about:
* Do a new map with coded grids.
* What to wear depending on weather
* What to eat for all days.
* How to cook
* How much water do I need. Carry all or bring a water purifier.
* Bring weapon and gear system adopted to the mission
* How to sleep (what kind of sleeping bag, tarp, tent?)
* Where to sleep, adopted to the mission. And where will the enemies don't find me.
* What radiosystem do I need? Coded? UHF, VHF, booth, and/or PRR?
* toilet paper, shovel, toothbrush, extra underpants
* etc, etc
.. and what does the rucksack now weighs? How do I minimize the gear 33%?
delendam_pandion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 10:37   #81
M4Mark

Send a message via MSN to M4Mark
m4mark

I say bring on the tactical games, All of this debate for what? Who cares if Canadas ready or not, the right amount of people are Ready!
Old December 1st, 2011, 12:09   #82
skydiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Mark View Post
I say bring on the tactical games, All of this debate for what? Who cares if Canadas ready or not, the right amount of people are Ready!

I like your attitude M4Mark. i was surprised at the initial response myself, i believe there is definately room here in Canada and like in other countries around the globe it will grow. I guess it's the 80-20 rule it will not be everyones cuppa.

To me real military simulation is game structured as the military would structure them this is what Tier 1 can offer ....

it's the old saying if you build it they will come
skydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 12:16   #83
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
I like your attitude M4Mark. i was surprised at the initial response myself, i believe there is definately room here in Canada and like in other countries around the globe it will grow. I guess it's the 80-20 rule it will not be everyones cuppa.

To me real military simulation is game structured as the military would structure them this is what Tier 1 can offer ....

it's the old saying if you build it they will come

You seem to be under the impression that games like this have not happened here.. they do, quite a few in fact

the fact that you don't know about them or have not participated in them does not mean that they don't exist.

OPERATION WOODSMAN

Old December 2nd, 2011, 11:08   #84
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackthorne
Agreed. I have been to some beauties.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 12:58   #85
Karma_

I'd be interested in heading East to check out some of the games you guys have over there. I'll work on getting the team interested. What sort of venues do you play at?

The cost of being legit is high
Karma_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 13:14   #86
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma_ View Post
I'd be interested in heading East to check out some of the games you guys have over there. I'll work on getting the team interested. What sort of venues do you play at?
CQB/ Urban , at the Picton Facility
Former mental hospital.. about 400 rooms on 3 levels over 4 large buildings- Eastern/Central Ontario

Woodland- Several good sized woodland fields in use.. throughout Ontario

Woodland, Developed - Woodland fields with trails, and some structures, again good sized fields. Fields like this in the East , central and Western parts of Ontario

OPERATION WOODSMAN

Old December 2nd, 2011, 15:19   #87
lt_poncho

Send a message via MSN to lt_poncho
The impression one might get from this thread is that there is some competition for player base between US and Canadian games; I would have to object to statements that the US had Airsoft years before Canada – perhaps more like they never had any asinine legal issues surrounding the sport. As such – their communities matured quicker in the open free of persecution whilst ours were tucked firmly up our asses.

Regardless of who hosts what where – you can’t deny it’s the players that will make or break a game. The more likeminded players attending will yield a higher probability of satisfied players. Managing our expectations start with us and lead from there. We’re fortunate to have likeminded hosts who don’t give up and keep hosting these MilSims.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 17:43   #88
Karma_

This Picton facility sounds pretty cool. Do you run many big games there? We have a lot of woodland here too although not as pretty as over there. But we do have mountains...

The cost of being legit is high
Karma_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 19:22   #89
SlowEddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma_ View Post
This Picton facility sounds pretty cool. Do you run many big games there? We have a lot of woodland here too although not as pretty as over there. But we do have mountains...
"Operation Rhino" was the big game this year at the Picton facility
I think the plan is to run Operation Rhino every year mid July 14-15ish

it was really good, but not perfect, many issues were brought up afterwards as there were a lot of players. (still one of the best games Ive been to)

IMO, i don't think the Rhino is suppose to be a Super Uber realistic milsim, but more of a massive 24hrs balls out intense fighting / action event with vehicles ( including a helicopter ) And some role playing elements thrown into the mix.

If you haven't seen the pics form the event check out the link below

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=127580
Old December 2nd, 2011, 19:31   #90
Conker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowEddy View Post
IMO, i don't think the Rhino is suppose to be a Super Uber realistic milsim, but more of a massive 24hrs balls out intense fighting / action event with vehicles ( including a helicopter ) And some role playing elements thrown into the mix.
And that's why I didn't drive up there, and I do not intend to in the coming years. Yes, the Picton facility looks awesome. Yes, vehicles and helicos are awesome.

But I won't drive 16 hours for a massive skirmish.

And that's probably the same thing for most of the milsim crowd here in Quebec.
Conker is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Media