WE L85A2- Preliminary Review

:

Reviews

Old August 24th, 2011, 16:10   #1
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

WE L85A2- Preliminary Review

WE L85A2

I’ve owned a STAR L85A2 for a few years.. I gamed it for a season, and found I liked the bullpup design. When WE announced they were producing a L85A2 I knew I would get one, seeing as I am a confirmed WEtard, ( Own 8 of them )

WE has pretty much cornered the market with respect to Gas Blow Back Rifles, producing the widest range of models and configurations of any GBBR manufacturer.

I have been running a WE GBBR as my primary gun since 2009
I have used WE GBBRs to fulfill military training contracts, I am a strong supporter of their products.

Typically I get my guns from Toronto Airsoft , as they are the Canadian Distributor of WE products in Canada. Frank, advised me he had no plans to bring in the L85A2 because not enough people want them. Fair enough,, so I went to a second source, Garrison Airsoft agreed to bring one in for me, and Tom the owner was an absolute pleasure to deal with. The gun took a couple of weeks to get in Country, Tom fronted the cost and asked for no money up front for the order. It was delivered yesterday. Professionally packaged and delivered next day from when it was sent. Again, Tom at Garrison Airsoft really performed, I’ll order again for certain if I can’t get what I want from Toronto Airsoft.

Un-Boxing:

Not much to say here, WE does not waste money on packaging. The gun came zip-tied into a stout cardboard box with one Magazine, a loader , manual.. and a small Allan Key.

Visually the gun is quite nice, clean lines and quality materials. The L85 ain’t much to look at anyway but WE did a good job on the externals. The upper and lower receiver is stamped steel with riveted and welded reinforcements just like the real one. The finish is wrong, the real L85A2 has a smooth surface and a chemical blackening treatment, whereas the WE L85A2 is painted and has a kind of textured surface. The Fore stock is nylon fiber composite, again just like the real one. The Pistol Grip is dense Plastic, again just like the real one and the butt pad, is rubber, in the WE version.. it’s a little soft compared to a real L85A2.
We has added all the required details, including the Gas Piston and Regulator. The gun is a very good replica externally. It handles and balances well but is about half a kilogram lighter than the real L85A2. due to the fact the the body is clearly made of thinner metal than the real gun.

The manual is minimal, little English and not much detail. It does not , for example , illustrate how to adjust the hopup. In addition if you did not know your way around firearms I expect the prospect of stripping the gun would be daunting.

I have handled and stripped a real L85A2 about 20 years ago.. and kinda remembered how it came apart. So I popped the body pins and stripped it.

The gun stripped exactly like the real L85A2, Save for the trigger assembly , which I did not remove. Internally the gun is a fair replica as well, with the bolt and return spring assembly all true to the original. WE has employed their tried and true Sear and trigger mechanism, found in the M4, the Scar, PDW and the G39 with minor modifications. So here , the replica breaks down a bit.
The L85A2 Being a bullpup has the pistol grip and trigger in front of the chamber so a long bar is used to transmit the trigger action to the sear, Just like in the real L85A2. The safety is a simple trigger block and engages securely.

I reassembled the gun, and function checked it. No issues. The bolt stop engages on a empty mag, but I could not get the bolt stop to release, frankly I can’t remember how the bolt stop works on the real L85A2 maybe a current user could let me know.

The Iron Sights are sharp , and clear, and fully adjustable. Fore-sight is a protected blade adjustable for elevation, and the rear a flip up aperture with a small aperture long range sight and a large aperture combat sight. Adjustable for windage.

The gun feels solid with no rattles or squeaks and zero flex. it feels like a gun. and like every other WE product I have handled, Solid, well manufactured with good attention to detail.
So far I’m happy.

Next we will see how it shoots, Most of the WE guns I have are the “brass tube” Closed chamber AWSS models. I’ve been pretty happy with them, Most of the stuff I do is CQB so the wonky hopups on these guns are not much of an issue at realistic CQB engagement ranges.

The G39 is a open chamber system.. and that gun is a beast.. shoots hard straight and true and has a great rate of fire.. it’s good on gas as well. We will see how the L85A2 does come Friday.

" Range Report"

Last Friday I resolved to test fire this gun to see how it performs. I still only have 1 mag,

Magazine: standard "WE" mag, the open chamber Mag has a different feed lip configuration and is easy to load with a conventional loader.

I loaded the mag with .20 BB bastard BBs , gassed it up with "oily gas" I have a device that allows me to inject silicone oil direct into the propane tank. this ensures that all my Gas guns are well lubricated while they are fired.
I typically run .30g bbs in my guns for outdoor use and I find the WE guns run better on heavier loads.

Chrony: 420 FPS + - 10 FPS over a full mag

Range: I was indoors .. it fires flat a true out to 70 feet . I have not adjusted the hop up.

Auto Fire: Trouble here.. sustained fire.. the gun won't fire an entire mag before it is killed by cool-down ( not surprising really)
Short bursts. the 3rd or 4th round drops off substantially as if insufficient gas is being delivered. I believe a heavier BB may resolve this. But Ill test it. Also .. a lot of gas is vented through the ejection port in full auto fire.. clouds in fact

Recoil. Not as sharp as the G36 or the M4 or the PDW .. not surprising considering the substantial return spring arrangement. It's a heavy gun as well with most of the weight behind the pistol grip. Still a nice positive recoil though.

Noise: pretty loud to the shooter due to proximity to the chamber of the right ear.

Ambidextrous.. nope.. has a recoiling cocking knob would be very close to your nose on a left handed grip... just like the real one.

Overall: good looking gun, good replica of the real deal, and expected performance. Fun to shoot
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite

Last edited by Brian McIlmoyle; August 31st, 2011 at 14:18..
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 09:37   #2
jordan7831
will always be Mike Litoris in our hearts

Good review! Some pics would be great too. How do you find the recoil compared to the g39? Also have WE made any effort at all to improve the mags? Or do they just spill propane everywhere?
jordan7831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 09:44   #3
Disco_Dante

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7831 View Post
Good review! Some pics would be great too. How do you find the recoil compared to the g39? Also have WE made any effort at all to improve the mags? Or do they just spill propane everywhere?
The mags are the same that come with any WE armalite, but with the open bolt feed lips. I've never had any problems with propane spilling anywhere with mine.

Not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.
Disco_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 10:03   #4
kalnaren

Do want.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 10:13   #5
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7831 View Post
better pics than what I can take are available elsewhere.. but I may post some anyway... once I take them..

I have only put 2 mags through it so far.. not enough to assess performance..

more to follow

OPERATION WOODSMAN

Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 14:19   #6
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

updated

OPERATION WOODSMAN