Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Other Regions
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Snipers Corner

:

Other Regions

Old February 12th, 2006, 22:31   #151
manchovie

Send a message via ICQ to manchovie Send a message via AIM to manchovie Send a message via MSN to manchovie
this thread is 10 pages long and covers MANY topics without even really being about them, thus proving the outstanding wealth of information this community has, but hasnt shared and that there is a large amount of interest out there for airsoft sniping. the admins know that it's there because they arent retarded, the thing is that (as is the case with wiseowl) some solid arguments need to be made to validate a sniper section's existence. at least that's what i thought this thread was about, if i'm wrong and this is a thread where we make a list of names you can petition my ass right out of it.

my b/s rating
manchovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 17:17   #152
manchovie

Send a message via ICQ to manchovie Send a message via AIM to manchovie Send a message via MSN to manchovie
*crickets*

my b/s rating
manchovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 17:29   #153
SCG48
a.k.a. SniperChic

I can hear the dust falling......
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired or reserve - is someone who at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The Country of Canada", for an amount of "up to and including my life."-- Author Unknown
SCG48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 17:54   #154
concept_8

here's one for all you ghillie wearers out there.

What colour/colours do you prefer in an all round ghillie meaning you'd wear it in woodland (green) areas or sandy/dirt or dead yellowed brush areas or any time of the year?

Personally, I've got and am working on multiple colours of suits, and in different set ups for different times of year with the temp changes n all.
But I find the tan suits maybe with some grey or brown to be most effective in the widest range of environments.

Mostly due to the lightness of the colour I find it easier to cover the tan with green foliage or a couple of touches of paint in the field making it blend well in bush rather than making a green suit blend in well in dead brush or sandy/dirt covered terrain.

Anyone else have any thaughts on ghillie colouring and ranges or limits in different terrains?
I'd love to hear what some of you guy's....or gals think.
Old February 14th, 2006, 18:23   #155
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

IMO, Brown and tan ghillie work the best for all around.

My ghillie was green and tan at first. But as soon as I stepped in a pine forest, I was a bright green patch to shoot.

Now My ghillie is mainly Brown with some green and Tan strands and it.
I can add more foliage of matching color to completely dissapear.

All in all, Brown is a good color base IMO.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 18:37   #156
SCG48
a.k.a. SniperChic

It varies upon the enivorment you play in. Me personally I rather use colours that are as close to the colours in the enviroment I play in. So if the vegetation is leafy green, I wear my leafy green ghillie, if the vegetation is a mixture of green leafs and non leaf materials, I wear my woodland ghillie. Every so often I add colours here and there, again pending on the enviroment I play in. I am in the process of making a third ghillie suit, just debating what colours to use.....

What I do is have a colour or two in a bundle, eg, lets say you have 6 strands of jute in a bundle, 3 of those stands will be in OD, the other 3 will be in lime green persay. You do not want to have alot of strands of jute in a bundle, not more than 6, this is my personal preference, again it is ultimatly up to the individual. when it comes to more than one colour in a bundle of jute I like to keep them similar in colour, my preference. I also like to attach rugged straps of burlap as well to make for the leaf effect.

Ultimately your ghillie suit SHOULD be made according to the enviroment you play in. Rule of thumb is, 40% garnish/jute/burlap, and 60% actuall vegetation.....this is airsoft, but if you want to go ahead and attach real time vegetation to your ghillie suit by all means go ahead and all the better to you.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired or reserve - is someone who at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The Country of Canada", for an amount of "up to and including my life."-- Author Unknown
SCG48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 18:42   #157
JacoNB

I'm currently building (do you "build" a ghillie suit??) ...''fashioning" a suit, my base colors are going to be tans and browns... mostly because even in the thick wooded areas behind my house, all the ground level foliage is dead branches, trees bushes or grass... and it's all brown. If I was making a kit to stand up/run around in, I'd consider making it darker greens and browns, I think.

Plus, burlap and jute are mostly brown or tan anyway, so... saves money on dye or paint or whatever.

Any extra color I'm going to add is going to be scrim or actual branches and such.

BTW, I found rolls of jute twine at the DOLLAR store today... heavy duty, nice and thick... 190ft rolls of it. 8)
JacoNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 19:06   #158
SKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacoNB
BTW, I found rolls of jute twine at the DOLLAR store today... heavy duty, nice and thick... 190ft rolls of it. 8)
Just remember that the jute twine looks like rope. it takes a while for it to unravel. I used it in my ghillie but I also used stripped burlap. If you only use the twine, you will need to unravel it before you apply it. It's a bit of a pain but it will "fill" out your suit nicely. I washed mine after in order to smooth out the jute making it a little more "clumpy".
Old February 16th, 2006, 10:35   #159
Ghillie973

Send a message via MSN to Ghillie973 Send a message via Yahoo to Ghillie973
Did Airsoft Retreat's Sniper Perch just loose all it's info?? I just checked there and there's only 5 topics and my username won't let me log in. Also it looks like the entire board just go changed.
Ghillie973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 20:04   #160
numbers

When all you snipers go "out" in the field, do you go in pairs? Such as a shooter, and a spoter? I was just woundering, cause that is what we do. Our shooter is armed with a M-21 sniper system, and a glock 9mm, where the spoter is armed with a C8A1, and his back-up is a M21 sniper system incase he needs to take the shot.

How do you guys play? Do you sit in one spot and "camp" or do you "run and gun?" What kind of gear do you use. Does your suit cover the front as well, or just the back? Do you camo your face and hands, and forget about the back of your neck and ears; or do you use cloths to cover these areas?

Is your weapon painted, or is it covered in a wrap? If it is covered in a wrap; how about the bi-pod legs. Are they covered?
Is your scope covered so that your weapon no longer looks like a weapon? Has your lens been covered with a mesh so that the glare from the sun does not give away your position?

Do you know where to set yourself up so that your back is covered, and that you have 360* round vision, so no one can sneek up on you? And don't about your shadow, it will give you away faster thn you can say "Oops."

I hope this helps someone out, and I hope that this was the place to post this.
numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 20:14   #161
JacoNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI
Just remember that the jute twine looks like rope. it takes a while for it to unravel.
Yeah, I may unravel it by hand, I'm that patient. The only problem is, it tends to shed a lot... like a LOT... so I may not end up using this stuff at all. But thanks for the tip, I'll try washing it too.
Old February 16th, 2006, 20:40   #162
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Am sure I have more mud and sticks in my ghillie than anything else! Took it out to add more Lee Valley Gardening section green jute twine to, had a beach on my floor from all the mud it has collected the past season, and there were countless sticks, twigs and other crap imbedded in it that I neer noticed before. Mind you, there have only been a couple times last season my ghillie has been out in the field, but at one point it was literrally SOAKED in thick muddy puddle, took me about 2 weeks to dry it out, then about 4-5 beatings to get all the muddy sand residue out of it. Recall a few times putting my boonie on, and having sand/dirt fall out of it and get all in my hair. Ya, best way to simulate nature is to use nature as your colouring. Mud and local foliage! :lol:

Jaco, beat it, soak it, let it dry in the sun, comb your fingers through it, slam it into the gournd, drag it behind your car down a dirt road, soak it in mud, rinse it, let dry, etc. Ghillie's that are baby'd tend to not work as well as those that are hardcore abused and used. Remember, as long as you go by natural colours and shades, the uglier it gets from abuse, the better it works. Last thing you want is a pretty ghillie that looks good in pics.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 20:44   #163
wey ferro

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbers
When all you snipers go "out" in the field, do you go in pairs?.
i think the most effective airsoft sniping would be a 3 man assault sniper team.
3 snipers spread out all who have angles to the same area.
one takes a shot and then another and you switch it up so the other team cant tell where its coming from.(all while using black bb's)
Old February 16th, 2006, 21:01   #164
JacoNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Stalker
Last thing you want is a pretty ghillie that looks good in pics.
lol... true... Thanks!

My biggest problem right now is getting some BDUs or something in my size to attach everything to. I'm not buying new CADPAT BDUs to make a Ghillie, so I'll be hitting up the surplus stores soon.

:tup:
Old February 16th, 2006, 22:13   #165
Iceman

Send a message via MSN to Iceman
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacoNB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Stalker
Last thing you want is a pretty ghillie that looks good in pics.
lol... true... Thanks!

My biggest problem right now is getting some BDUs or something in my size to attach everything to. I'm not buying new CADPAT BDUs to make a Ghillie, so I'll be hitting up the surplus stores soon.

:tup:
Jacon, you want to make your Ghillie 'Oversized' to what you wear. If you are wearing MEdium BDUs (standard Propper Medium), then make your Ghillie 'Large'.

The reason for this is, the GHilliesuit is mostly worn over a regular BDU. Usually, snipers do not have fashion time to change into their Ghillie... when a sniper 'infiltrates' a terrain, he's not usually in Ghillie. He'll have his Ghillie in a pack or attached to it, with his rifle and all relevant material in his rifle/drag bag and will enter the hot zone with a rifle and backup.

Once the infiltration phase begins, Ghiilie goes on and all the rest goes out.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Other Regions