Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

CA m15 a4 SPC not firing

:

Doctor's Corner

Old September 7th, 2008, 21:49   #1
your-pastor

CA m15 a4 SPC not firing

Ok, so i got a spc second hand at the beginning of august, fielded it once 3 weeks later.

about 3 times the shooting was intermittent, thinking the battery just had a lose connection i removed it, and then put it back, oddly firing again properly.

but, about a week after that fight, i take it home, run a few rounds down my range, sighting in my laser and scope, my hicap got jammed so naturaly i shook the gun a little (emphasis on this word, it was a light shake) and scrolled it. and then squeezed the trigger.

This is where i had my problem. nothing happened, no motor noise, no firing.

my heart skipped a beat.

i checked everything, first the battery, it has a bare wire due to long term stress from its first owner, i got an rc dealer to re shrink it, fully charged, tried that. no workings, but on the volt-o-meter it proved to be charged

so then i tried the wires, i took out the small to large connector, and its fine too.(the long part that attaches to the small connector at the front of the stock)

now, in an effort to find the problem, i have removed the motor and gearbox.

the motor works fine, spins nicly as a stock CA motor should.

i put a voltmeter on the 2 wires and black works fine, no connection problem, but red has nothing, i pull the trigger, still no connection.

my question is; is this a selector switch problem? is there a fuse inside the gearbox that may have blown? or is there some other electrical problem that i could be having with this sinister red wire, a short perhaps?

yes, please, treat me as a noob, this is the first time i have gotten one of these apart this far, and i don't know the workings of the gear box as well as i would like.

one other thing, i believe the fuse is supposed to be in the stock, there is no fuse inside my stock, i don't know if that matters.

i can supply pictures if anyone thinks they have an idea, just tell me what to look for and i can upload it.

thanks!
Old September 7th, 2008, 21:59   #2
~JARSH~

funny, im having the exact same problem.
~JARSH~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 22:13   #3
dpvu

Send a message via MSN to dpvu
The only fuse (if any) will be outside your gearbox. It will be on the wire between the battery and gearbox and is usually on the red wire. It may be in a small case and is a small glass tube. If you have one, check that the wire inside is still in tact. You have a connection with the black wire which is good. The red wire should be connected when you pull the trigger. The selector switch is not the issue as that doesn't actually have anything to do with your wiring.

If it's not a fuse problem, I suspect your switch assembly has become worn and this will require you to open the gearbox. When you open it you will see a small box the red wires are soldered to. This is the switch assembly. There are 2 metal contacts at the top and when you pull the trigger, it should move a small piece between those 2 contacts to complete the circuit. In your case, the contacts may have been bent or have worn out. Worse case scenario is you need a new switch assembly, which is an easy fix and is only about $30.

Last edited by dpvu; September 7th, 2008 at 22:17..
dpvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 22:17   #4
Skladfin

take a picture of your switch assembly.

open your gearbox, take out the trigger, and take a picture of the things behind where the trigger was.

its likely that you burned out one of the wires or the trigger contacts
Skladfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 22:21   #5
your-pastor

darn, i was really hoping that the problem would be.... well, not involving box disassembling

i have gone and done a few more tests, if this changes anything, or proves your theory more;

the red, from the motor, is hot on the volt o meter when i touch it on 2 top tabs (brass color metal) on the switch, and by switch i mean the selector on the gear box.

in response to skladfin, will do, is there anything i need to know about taking apart this gearbox? or is it all fine until i start messing with the gears?

Last edited by your-pastor; September 7th, 2008 at 22:24.. Reason: saw sklsdfin's post
your-pastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 22:29   #6
dpvu

http://www.mechbox.com will tell you how to do it properly.
Old September 7th, 2008, 22:47   #7
your-pastor

below is a picture of the gearbox and rear wiring, this is how it was, there was a small connector twisted onto the wires with electric tape over it, also, the scratch on the black wire is my fault, i did it because the end of the black wire broke off and i needed to test it. black wire works fine, im going to replace/ re shrink wrap it.

i will update with pics of gearbox disassemblely tomorrow when i have daylight (and courage) to do this, unless someone can persuade me not to.

also, thanks for the website, i do belive that will help.

IMGP0358.JPG

IMGP0356.JPG

sorry for the small photo, i thought it would be bigger...

Last edited by your-pastor; September 7th, 2008 at 22:49.. Reason: photos are small!? wtg!?
Old September 7th, 2008, 23:01   #8
Skladfin

my reccomendation:

install a new switch assembly and remove all doubt.

those things are $30 shipped anyway
Skladfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 00:29   #9
your-pastor

alright, but, would that fix any/all electrical problems inside the gearbox area? other question is, is there anything that could go wrong while installing it?

also, do you have a recommendation on what one to buy, and where from?
Old September 8th, 2008, 00:36   #10
Dao

You can buy switch assembly here: http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/in...oducts_id=1018

or here: http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/default/g...bly-fixed.html

Last edited by Dao; September 8th, 2008 at 00:42..
Dao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 01:02   #11
dpvu

Correctly installed nothing could go wrong and this will fix your problems. The only issue is you will have to open disassemble the gearbox. The mechbox.com guide is awesome and honestly, doing this yourself isn't hard. If you REALLY don't want to do it yourself or are afraid of wrecking something, let a gun tech do it.
Old September 8th, 2008, 02:16   #12
your-pastor

no, i wanna be able to do this myself... with the help of mechbox.com that is, lol

i'll keep updating, that does look like its the problem though,

the switch assembly is the whole electrical component in the gear box correct? i just want to make sure its kind of the cure all for this, and i don't have to bother you guys again.

oh, and you would reccomend the G&P one in that link dao sent?

Last edited by your-pastor; September 8th, 2008 at 02:32..
Old September 8th, 2008, 02:19   #13
dpvu

It is the heart of the electrical system, yes. Pretty much all it does is complete the circuit when the trigger is pulled. The switch kits usually include all the wires you need too so you won't have to worry about soldering or anything.
Old September 8th, 2008, 02:36   #14
your-pastor

oh, great,
so that G&P one will fit my CA m15 a4 spc? through handle to motor, to stock to large battery?
Old September 8th, 2008, 06:54   #15
Muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by your-pastor View Post
oh, great,
so that G&P one will fit my CA m15 a4 spc? through handle to motor, to stock to large battery?
Yes, although it is wired with standard Deans connectors, which CA doesn't have. You'll either need to get a large type connector to replace the dean or get one that already has it.
Search: Switch Assembly on WGCshop.
Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner