Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Russia and East Bloc
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Afghanistan Soviet Mabuta uniform (1980's)

:

Russia and East Bloc

Old May 27th, 2008, 06:29   #1
beastor

Afghanistan Soviet Mabuta uniform (1980's)

Hey guys,

I was thinking on a Soviet VDV Paratrooper 1980's Afghan loadout for skirmishing in and was wondering if the Para's ever used the Mabuta? And did they ever use insignia on it (i.e blue collar tabs and shoulder boards, arm patch)?

I have seen the Osprey "russias war in afghanistan" book and they have paratroopers in battle dress with the blue insignia but it seems to be a special paratrooper light shirt (olive khaki like the normal army field dress) rather than the mabuta.

I think it is true (in my humble opinion) that the Sooviets never really had a "correct" loadout and the service branches would chop and change to how conditions or supplies varied?

I have a chance to get the Mabuta set in my size, and if the para's never used it then i will use it for Motor infantry if need be (but I really want to wear the blue beret!)

Thanks for your time,

General William Tecumseh Sherman
beastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:35   #2
Vince

I have a Discovery Channel docu about the Paras in Afghanistan, and I only saw Mabuta uniforms once in the docu and it was at some ceremony. Rest of the time they had Afghanka and some sort of OD Gorka
Old June 11th, 2008, 13:57   #3
Igor01

Send a message via ICQ to Igor01 Send a message via AIM to Igor01 Send a message via MSN to Igor01
VDV and SpN GRU both used mabuta in Afghanistan with the VDV insignia (SpN often "masquaraded" themselves as regular VDV). I wouldn't stick Motor Rifles insignia on a mabuta, that would be a sacrilige

A VDV/SpN loadout would be simple enough to put together - mabuta, VDV "tel'nyashka" striped undershirt, Chicom "lifchik" LBV or a Soviet copy if you can find one, RD54, blue Adidas sneakers or a Soviet "Kimry" copy if you're lucky to locate a pair, a SSh68 helmet, AKMS or AKS74, then throw in a KLMK if you want.

HEATWARE

Old Buyer/Seller Ratings

For Sale: Nothing at the moment.
Igor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 16:18   #4
beastor

Ah Igor01, always to the rescue!

would I be okay to put blue collar tabs and shoulder boards on also for the Mabuta VDV Paratrooper look? or is that maybe a step too far?

I know the Soviet soldier loved their badges, braid and medals, and wore them when they could get away with it!

I know the soldier would prefer sneakers, but you will be glad to know I have mastered the art of boot foot wraps from the diagrams you gave me, so the high boots or Para Jack boots will be worn!

(my feet bled for a while till I got it right: 2 pairs of light socks to stop the friction and hence no blisters, and a heavy cloth wrapped as per your instructions) The boots, I have to admit, are actually one of my most comfortable skirmish footwear to use now I know the secret.

I have them, and also a blue paratrooper beret. Check out the Ukrainian soldier loadout for the striped shirt and Afghan chest rig.

Last edited by beastor; June 11th, 2008 at 16:24..
Old June 11th, 2008, 16:22   #5
ww2warrior

Send a message via MSN to ww2warrior
Hey there's a recent movie called the 9th compagny showing Russian paras in afghanistan. Pretty Nice I can say. We see there gear a lot. Maybe it could help you.
HFC G17
ww2warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 16:26   #6
beastor

A fine film ww2warrior!

I have seen it, but unfortunately dont own it (working on that however)

Old June 11th, 2008, 17:03   #7
Igor01

Send a message via ICQ to Igor01 Send a message via AIM to Igor01 Send a message via MSN to Igor01
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastor View Post
would I be okay to put blue collar tabs and shoulder boards on also for the Mabuta VDV Paratrooper look? or is that maybe a step too far?
No problem at all with using the VDV insignia and patches. There were a few different uniforms used and trialed in TurkVO military district and later Afghanistan in the 70s and 80s, so if you have a reasonable reproduction of the period "mabuta" (might yours be a Ukrainian copy perhaps?), add the VDV collar tabs/sleeve patch/shoulder boards and a white undercollar (just a folded piece of white cotton fabric and you're good to go. I wouldn't put anything else like the various distinction badges, medals and so on, those were ok on a "dembel'" uniform worn by demobilised soldiers on their way back home but would not be appropriate on what presumably is a field setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastor View Post
I know the soldier would prefer sneakers, but you will be glad to know I have mastered the art of boot foot wraps from the diagrams you gave me, so the high boots or Para Jack boots will be worn!

(my feet bled for a while till I got it right: 2 pairs of light socks to stop the friction and hence no blisters, and a heavy cloth wrapped as per your instructions) The boots, I have to admit, are actually one of my most comfortable skirmish footwear to use now I know the secret.
Good to hear you've tamed the "portyanki", it's no mean feat! However, the VDV generally wore boots - you can't jump with the jackboots on (you'll loose them) and Afghan operations often involved negotiation mountainous terrain for which jackboots just weren't the ideal choice. VDV used to call the infantry guys "sapogi" - jackboots, as opposed to themselves being "botinki" - [laced] boots.

Your Ukrainian impression looks very nice, unfortunately I don't know much about their current forces and the gear used, so I can't comment on its authenticity.

HEATWARE

Old Buyer/Seller Ratings

Old June 11th, 2008, 17:49   #8
beastor

Thanks again Igor01,

That would indeed be the Ukrainian copy!

I recently got a book (printed in the 80's) that shows late 80's paratroopers wearing Jack boots on field exercises wearing a camoflage type BDU, but that was in Europe and not Afghanistan I suppose.

However the Osprey book on the Afghan War also shows the VDV wearing jackboots...

I assume it would be okay to wear them and not be horrendously inaccurate?

I have Russian lace ups also however, so I could do both.

Old June 12th, 2008, 09:38   #9
Igor01

Jackboots or boots, it should be a great impression. Both types of footware were worn, so you can't go wrong with either one. You can always designate the boot or Adidas sneakers outfit as the SpN on a deep recon or caravan hunting mission near the Pakistan border and the one with jackboots as a VDV soldier on a routine patrol. Please post pictures if you ever get to finish the load-out!

HEATWARE

Old Buyer/Seller Ratings

Old June 12th, 2008, 13:59   #10
beastor

I certainly will!

I have everything here or being sent as I write apart from the RD54. having trouble finding that bit of kit....

Old July 11th, 2008, 13:22   #11
beastor

RD-54

Woo-hoo! Got one from ebay....

VDV Paratrooper here I come.

Old August 10th, 2008, 07:15   #12
beastor

Finally got my Mabuta BDU's and I am not a happy bunny!

Perfect fit, good cut but one problem: the fatigues are a a dark Olive Drab and NOT desert! I suggest you avoid Front of Russia if you want russian kit from them.

Anybody have any ideas what I could do with some olive drab russian fatigues?

Old August 12th, 2008, 14:12   #13
Igor01

Beastor, the original Soviet mabuta was a darker brownish-green. Our troops in Afghanistan used to turn it into a more suitable shade of light tan by washing it in bleach and letting it sit in the sun for a couple days. This shortened the lifespan of the garments obviously, but provided almost perfect camouflage in the mountainous terrain.

Since your set is a modern Ukrainian reproduction, both the fabric and the dye must be different from the original, so following the above recipe might turn your set into something very unattractive, so I would think long and hard before risking ruining the set

HEATWARE

Old Buyer/Seller Ratings

Old August 12th, 2008, 19:09   #14
beastor

Thanks again Igor01, your knowledge is on these matters is a gold mine!

it certainly is a brownish green, but there isnt much sun in Scotland unfortunately!

I will have to try and find a way to get them bleached methinks....

Old August 20th, 2008, 13:51   #15
ninjadave

You could go for the acid wash like they use on jeans. I'm pretty sure some places do that.
ninjadave is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Russia and East Bloc