5.11 cams 2.0 loadout/deployment bag

:

Reviews

Old April 5th, 2014, 00:41   #1
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

5.11 cams 2.0 loadout/deployment bag

The CAMS (carry all my stuff) ver 2.0

This is a big bitch of a bag. It's heavy as well... empty it's 22 pounds.

The goal was to, in case of dire need to carry ALL my stuff, was that I needed 1 bag that could hopefully minimize the footprint my stuff would take up while being hauled from point A to point B. It barely fits through the opening of my trunk in the car as it's a lot fatter than measurements make it out to be.

It's really unlikely that I'll ever fill it this full to get to a game.. however.. I have loaded all this stuff and brought to a game before, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

I want to show how big this thing is. It's BIG.

First... What I was using to carry the stuff...

Proper adventure tech bag that would carry both vests, the pistol cases, goggles, slings, harnesses, serpa leg rig, battle belt, knee pads, face mask... All the 2nd line stuff.

The smaller duffel carried gun tool kit, battery box, rain gear, shemagh, sometimes a change of clothes, water bladder, the rest of the stuff I generally wouldn't pull out of the car. The tote bag carried a change of clothes and would bring back soiled clothes.

the rush 12 was field support kit... so my glasses, contact case, mil glasses, mil goggles, radio gear, propane tank, food/snacks for the day, BBs and loaders. This bag leaves the car with the main gun to be fielded that day.

So here's about 95% of the shit I end up packing into my car... sans cooler for water and sport drink. 2 pistol cases, 2 rifle cases, a smg case... and the 3-4 bags. That's a lot of shit. Most of the time I never have to use all of it... but a friend's g36 did go down one day and I lent them mine, which meant I had to switch vests and gun when I went to the p90. So it wasn't a bad thing that I had it that day.

Here's the CAMS 2.0 in double tap. I was expecting a bit more blue/grey but it's a very dark grey. Almost makes me wish I had ordered sandstone to match my rush12.

Here's 2 videos explaining the features of the bag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRSH1-YzAt8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2MlQox-9QM

Here's everything packed and what it reduced down to. The CAMS is STILL not full. I could easily stow the BBs and stuff I put in the rush into the CAMS as well. Since the sidepockets are half empty.

The far right divided part has the clothing in it, I could easily put another jacket, pair of pants and a shirt in there. There's also room on top of everything so I could pile more stuff in if I wanted to. I sort of ran out of stuff. There's 2 pistol cases under the green shemagh, the black vest is under the multicam rig, the battle belt and serpa leg rig are on top.

The shoulder straps to convert my MC rig back into a basic chest rig are in the left front side pocket, p90 harness/sling is in the middle one and my knee pads are in the right pocket. Both screwdriver kits fit in 1 side pocket on the other side.... But wait...

Weren't there 2 other gun cases?

The bottom section of the bag is a hardened tub meant for 5.11's 36" soft shell rifle bag. As you can see... There's lots of room. The mags for the p90 are already in the vest. Though the 40" case for the p90 and all its related support bits was still overkill.

All in all... I'm able to haul everything that I've ever had to haul to the field in terms of gear down to the CAMS, 1 rifle case and a backpack.

The only drawback with the CAMS I think is the empty weight of the bag. It starts at around 22 pounds, it's not a light bag, but if you are concerned about protecting some important bits of gear, the rifle tub underneath is quite an added bonus.

Granted that it's probably not as big as the LBT because of the tub, I think it serves a slightly different need, in that it also doubles as a hard rifle case.

I had originally planned on doubling this thing as a travel bag... but it's so huge that even half full it would be hard to maneuver around. The big wheels it rolls on are really nice and smooth, but going up and down stairs with this thing isn't easy, especially when it gets filled. The SOMS (Some of my stuff) bag would probably suit that need much nicer, but I'm not about to spend another 300 bucks at the moment.

The bag construction is very nice, it's made in china, there's not a loose thread or loose piece anywhere to be found.

There are 2 fiberglass rods that you set up on the top to keep the box shape of the bag, but if you want it to compress and be easilly manageable for a half or small load, you can take them out and use the straps to cinch it down flat.

If purchasing this bag, I'd recommend you wait for a sale if you can get it on sale. There's a couple ebay sellers that will ship black ones for ridiculously low prices into canada, even including shipping.

But because I wanted something other than black, I ordered from LA police gear who often runs 5.11 stuff on 10-20% every now and then, and sometimes higher with a ton of free stuff. You can take advantage of free shipping if you are close to the border, otherwise shipping direct to your door brings the cost to about the same as it would be if you ordered from a canadian 5.11 retailer.

Only complaint about it atm is that it's heavy. We'll see what else develops as it gets used.

Last edited by lurkingknight; April 5th, 2014 at 00:44..
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 19:31   #2
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

so in a bit of ridiculousness.. the silver mezzi 36" case fits in the plastic tub of the CAMS.

it's a super tight fit and things are being stretched a bit. I did not try to close the zipper, but that gives you a generally idea of how big the tub is.

The hardware to attach the shoulderstrap on the mezzi case and the carry handle are where it's too big. If you squeeze a bit, the whole case will actually push and settle into the tub.

I could theoretically strip the custom foam I've cut for my g36 with extended outer barrel and put it into the tub and fabricate a bit more to secure it tightly in the CAMS tub, this would let me hit the field with just the CAMS and a backpack. Everything else including the p90 and a mp7 could be put into the main compartment.

Big.

HOnkn.

Bag.

In order to get this thing to fit through the opening in the trunk of my 07 impreza sedan I have to take the fiberglass support rods out, so it turns into a bag akin to the lbt... a bit floppy and sort of rectangular box-like.

Next car will probably be a wagon/hatch lol.
Old August 21st, 2014, 17:06   #3
leth1337

hey how's this bag holdin up?
Old August 21st, 2014, 20:04   #4
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

it's still heavy. :P

Otherwise it's living through my once a week dragging out of the basement around the house, out the front door down the steps into the car etc very well. I also throw it around half loaded when I pack it back up end of day.

At the price point, I would say it's not bad. It comes on sale at LApolicegear every now and then, so if you're close to the border for pickup you can save a pretty good chunk.

I would've liked to have seen the other bag this one won over at the price point, the litefighter olympus, that one can shrink to about 2/3 the size of this one or be the same size minus the hard tub. The benefit of that one would've been it was much lighter and a more travel friendly bag.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews