Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Why is the M4 so popular?

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old February 13th, 2008, 00:10   #31
attack-beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSeven View Post
Donster, Id probly grab whatever was closer and loaded!
same here i dont care what it is if it fire and kills i'll grab it.
attack-beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 00:10   #32
Omi-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by kos View Post

It can be used efficiently by right, and left handed shooters.
Uh? Since when? Other than the deflector, there's nothing for the left-handed on it.
Omi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 00:16   #33
mcguyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omi-san View Post
Uh? Since when? Other than the deflector, there's nothing for the left-handed on it.
For years now. StagArms left handed uppers and ambi mag release FTW!!!

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 00:47   #34
Donster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSeven View Post
Donster, Id probly grab whatever was closer and loaded!
very true, but you understand the point i was trying to make. the 416 is better. dont get me wrong, i love the M4. later on in my airsoft career, im going to to build a Zombie Killer M4. but in real life, the 416 is better.
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 00:49   #35
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Maybe?

Because is it the most popular western MBR on the planet? Maybe?

From an Airsoft standpoint.. if you are emulating a soldier from the largest western army .. then you are going to be toting an M4

416... is marginally better... but not significantly so thee is no good reason to replace the M4.

You see special forces going to 416s because simply. they have the budget.. so why the hell not?
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 00:55   #36
matt491

Because it's so incredibly versatile! You can build any kind of platform off it. Throw on a nice scope, tightbore barrel with a silencer and a bi-pod and she's a decent sniper! Lose the scope, put on a RDS and lose the bipod and you got a great assault weapon. Shorten the barrel, throw on a vertical grip and a tac-light and you got an awesome CQB weapon. You can do almost anything with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchmeister View Post
It will help to not get you flamed here, and will help you get a job that doesn't require the repeated use of the phrase "Would you like fries with that?"
matt491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 01:08   #37
Lakonian
kos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omi-san View Post
The only thing that isn't ambidextrous is the ejection port, and selector.

The selector isn't much of a problem after you find the right technique. Everything is easy as pie. Reloads are pretty quick.. Would be quicker if I didn't have to worry about 60$ mags.
Lakonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 01:28   #38
Blacksheep

I am right handed for most things but I shoot left handed. The AR15 M4 variant works best for me. I own four of them and I love them all since they are all customized and therefore different.

I have a few other guns as well but I always pick up an M4 to take to a game. They are just a well balanced user friendly AEG.
Blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 01:35   #39
White_knight

as far as it concerns us, if its an aeg they are all the same. same maximum effective range, same accuracy, same caliber, same so on and so forth. basically we just have different metal and plastic shells, so an argument about the strong and weak points of m4's is moot. brass ejection direction, gas operation and FTF instances really dont mean much to us now do they. if you like the m4's looks, buy it. like an mp5? get that. want an AK? dont let me stop you. i just feel that all this ... "fanboyism" is rather trivial. you cant ask "why do people like this over that" when it comes to something as subjective as that. real steel sure, each have some thing over the other. but here in Airsoft...no. i mean why do people like sunflowers, why is starbucks so popular, why cant people believe its not butter, how come my fandangle curves up like a banana, and why the tavor not in airsoft yet... everyones gunna have an opinion, but in the end i still wont know what my point is.

p.s. im not trying to offend anyone, its 1:30 and im rambleing.

cheers and goodnight.

White_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 03:15   #40
Turd
Liberal Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunabreath View Post
Everyone wants to be like Marine Force DeltaSEAL Rangers. And what do they use? (at least, before some of them picked up the 416 )

Plus then they can win at irony and run LIKE KENYAAANNNNSSS
LOOOOOOOL "RACE AS FAST AS KENYANS THEN THERE WILL BE A TIE AND GET DEPORTED BACK TO KENYAAAAAAAA"
Turd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:59   #41
sigsour

This is just rhetoric guys, we are just philosophizing here. Some have already answered this question, but I noticed that some are a bit off-track.

The point is that we are all fantasizing right? Airsoft operates the same regardless of the gun, so it pretty much boils down to "which gun would you like to fantasize about". All these arguments about the 416 being more expensive are moot. Who cares about cost? We are not talking about the real gun, we are talking about your fantasy gun.

I would have thought that most people would like to fantasize about being kitted out with the best that money can buy - AS IF - they were a special forces member with a high budget. Or do most just prefer to role-play the bottom of the barrel grunt? (and I mean that with the utmost respect ;-) ) - actually that last statement relates to how they are generally treated from a military budget perspective, as opposed to what I think of regular infantry per se.

Also - back to my second post - if you retrofit an M4 with a 416 upper receiver - can you tell the difference aesthetically? At the very least, I can pretend that my M4 has a 416 receiver - or am I out of luck?
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:07   #42
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackthorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by kullwarrior View Post
Unit cost is $1500 US thats pretty high cost for a rifle at this low quality.

The US military ain't paying $1500 per rifle man...that's civvy pricing..

Even Diemaco is only asking $733 per C7 last time I saw paper run under my nose...
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:09   #43
Sergeantmajor

yes, your out of luck.

the 416 upper has a piston system, the M4 and other AR platform have a gas tube, which is significantly smaller, piston is bigger, and if IIRC all the 416 have a rail system fore end.
Sergeantmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:33   #44
sigsour

No - I'm talking about a retrofit. Some units do not buy a 416 - just the upper receiver so the rail system fore end will not look any different I would suppose. What *might* look different is the OUTSIDE of the upper receiver. Sure - obviously the INSIDE has a piston - everyone knows that. But we're talking about airsoft, not the real gun - will the OUTSIDE of the upper receiver look significantly different, or can an M4 airsoft gun pass as one of these real-life retro-fitted M4s with an M416 upper receiver?
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:56   #45
Danke

http://www.heckler-koch.de/HKWebText.../1928/337/4/19

Yes H&K does sell groups that will retro onto a lower receiver. Follow the link and check the pictures

I'm pretty sure in this world we're visiting now some companies make a dress up kit to convert a regular M4. You wouldn't have their grip, stock, and trades on your lower and that really seems to bug some people if they're not 100%.

From further digging there are some on the horizon but they're newer so not many have entered airsoft service. The VFC 416 which is nice but expensive and harder to find now and the JG/Echo which is also new and by reports surprisingly nice and being snapped up by anyone who can sniff one out.

I'm waiting on a JG myself. I have the VFC SCAR so I didn't want to dump another wad on a "backup" at this point. If I really like the JG then I'd get a VFC but I suspect I'd ditch the PEQ battery box.
Danke is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion