Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Sidearms: Springer vs GBB

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old May 28th, 2005, 09:01   #1
Rusty Shackeford

Sidearms: Springer vs GBB

What are the major differences, performance wise? I plan on using it the most just as a side-arm in outdoor games, never "pistol-only" games.

I have to admit I didn't research this for very long, but this is what I currently understand:

GBB's have blowback when fired, and the springers just shoot.

Can someone help me out with my decision? I'd rather not fork out the extra 200$ for something thats not really better performance-wise.
Rusty Shackeford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2005, 09:33   #2
tsuru

I really think you need to reseach stuff like this before you post here or you're gonna get flamed but...
I think what you mean by 'springer' is a non-blow back gas gun which (as the name implies features no blow back but does shoot semi-auto like most GBB's but in case you don't mean that:
Imagine that you're in a game, you have one of the rare situations where you need to use your sidearm, you pull out your springer, take your shot...and miss. With a springer you now have to cock the pistol again. Which unless you have three arms involves dropping your main weapon or something similar. In otherwords you'll spend more time getting a second shot out of a springer than you would fixing your main problem. In addition springers typically use lighter ammo than GBB's so if you're outdoors you're going to find your pellets going all over the place.
So in otherwords, if you even need a sidearm, get a GBB. They're more realistic, more powerful and you get what you pay for.
tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2005, 09:36   #3
Rusty Shackeford

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

I usually research these type of things, and I tried. I used the search feature and Google, but I could not find an answer.
Old May 28th, 2005, 11:11   #4
Greylocks

Best suggestion for you right now is to go to a game, see what is used, and you'll get all your questions answered at once.
Besides, you'll meet people.
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2005, 11:28   #5
DragonHawk
Hit Me 4 DigiPoints!

Send a message via ICQ to DragonHawk Send a message via MSN to DragonHawk Send a message via Yahoo to DragonHawk
Definetly, tsuru is correct, when you pull your pistol and only get one shot, well, that sort of sucks. Just as a counterpoint though, you have to see how often you actually need that handgun in the first place. I rarely draw one in-game, so from that perspective, the handgun is more there for looks than for functionality. For the money you spend, a GBB is not necessarily worth it... You have to look at your own situation to determine that though.
DragonHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2005, 11:55   #6
Rusty Shackeford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greylocks
Best suggestion for you right now is to go to a game, see what is used, and you'll get all your questions answered at once.
Besides, you'll meet people.
That sounds easier than it actually is. I live about an hour away from the closest games, and I dont have a car. And then there's the fact that there is almost no airsoft players in Fredericton, New Brunswick.
Old May 29th, 2005, 08:16   #7
Greylocks

We dont all live near games. Some effort is expected and required.
Contact other players and make ride arrangements.
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 10:06   #8
firemachine69

It's funny that there's about 5-6 airsoft players around my city but I don't think anyone's actually ever met. :lol:

We still need to get a rep. I'll have to arrange something with Meat or what not eventually...
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 15:29   #9
Kedirkin

I think what people are missing though is how incredibly embarassing it is for someone to get owned by a springer. . . I've done it at least a dozen times, and the reaction from people watching is priceless everytime.

I carry a springer in my holster 98% or the time, switching only to a gas blow back for pistol-only games. The few times I have carried a gas blow back, I can count the number of times I've switched to a pistol on one hand.

For the most part, changing magazines in your AEG and switching to semi-automatic in close quarters is much more effective than resorting to a pistol.

The only thing that sticks out in my mind as making a sidearm necessary are those people who have over-upgraded their AEGs so as to make them so hot that they would be dangerous at close ranges--it also gives more suppot to those who leave their guns stock or lightly upgraded, since they do not eliminate the utility of their primary guns are close range.

KD
Old May 29th, 2005, 16:01   #10
The Saint

Maybe you should consider an MAEG/AEP. Currently that's the TM GLOCK 18, but the Beretta 93R is due soon. An AEP won't shoot as hard as a GBB nor does it have blow back. However, its upkeep is lower in time and money, it costs less and shoots a hell of a lot more rapidly (especially since both the 18C and 93R are autopistols) and somewhat harder than a springer. It really is the middle ground between a GBB and a springer.
Old May 29th, 2005, 19:04   #11
Allstarr
Age Status Revoked!!

Send a message via MSN to Allstarr
springer!
Allstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 19:46   #12
Rusty Shackeford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstarr
springer!
\

But why?
Old May 29th, 2005, 19:58   #13
ANNIHILATOR2

Springers

Here is my little Springer introduction Thread. (An apeal to the mods: as I admid it is a shameless selfpromotion of my thread, it might be beneficial for newcomers to give it a sticky. ;-) )

Anyways, an AEP would be your best choice if you don't like to cock for every shot and the AEP glock has the same power of a TM springer.
Now having said that, if you get used to springers, they will get very usefull. Performance will depend on FPS and cocking smotthness meaning cocking will be faster. According to some American springer users, there are now and then NBB and GBB users who got their asses handed to them by high performance springers. Also, a good quality springer can last up to 5 years with medium care. Durability is the advantage of low-tech.
Downside of course, you can not use 2 springers at once. Well, unless you use Revolver springers.
ANNIHILATOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 21:33   #14
Allstarr
Age Status Revoked!!

Send a message via MSN to Allstarr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackeford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstarr
springer!
\

But why?
lol, becuz springers are amazing, even tho it shots 1 bb, really all u need is 1 bb

and u can be sooo much prouder of urself if u own 3 guys when ur the last guy in ur team, and when everybody laughts at u becuz u hade a springer, but now they are like :| omg u are godness

ask the quebec players LOL :lol:
Allstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 23:16   #15
Gryphon

One important point I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is that GBBs don't work well, if at all, in the cold. Once the temperature starts dropping the gas in your magazine condenses and becomes far less efficient. Often times GBBs will seize open in the cold, venting all of your gas on the first shot. Sometimes you'll manage to fire off a magazine but your velocity will be reduced to probably around springer range, depending on just how cold it is.
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion