Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Helmets for people with large heads

:

Gear Discussion

Old May 29th, 2012, 21:36   #1
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Helmets for people with large heads

I have a melon of a head - size 7 7/8, and I've been eyeing the repro OPS Core FAST and Crye Airframe helmets that have popped up this year. However all the overseas sites only seem to carry the "M/L" sizing, not the "L/XL" sizing that the manufacturers also produce.

If anyone would have a line on where to get these larger helmets, much appreciated as I am sure I'm not the only one in this boat.

Specifically interested in the airframe.

Cheers!
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 20:26   #2
EagleDriver

Even the real L/XL size wouldn't fit you without trimming the padding really close. I have a 7 5/8 head and the repro Ops Core Base Jump is snug on me. I have a real one and bought the repro one to compare fit and finish (and the repro from KH Mountain is the L/XL size.) I ended up shaving some of the foam off of the front for more comfort.

I have only ever seen the airframe in Medium size.
EagleDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 16:21   #3
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Damn, the airframe is dead sexy and I would love to get a L/XL sizing, maybe I'll hit up a few retailers.

Thanks for the comments!
Old June 18th, 2012, 16:37   #4
Swattiger

According to one of the Canadian retailer who has good connection with the China manufacturers, in order to achieve a low cost, they only clone the medium size which fits most of the Chinese customers in Asia.

So don't hold any high hope you will get a larger size, or you may just buy the real ones.
Swattiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 17:33   #5
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Damn, well guess it's time to splurge on a real ops core then, thanks fellows.
Old June 18th, 2012, 23:01   #6
HackD

I'll echo whats already been said about the repro ops-core helmets.

I've got one, and a 7 1/2" gourd. Love the helmet and great quality for a repro (imho), but damn.. my heads too big n' pointy for it. I did extend the strapping on it, and i removed the top inner pads, so it now barely fits, but it isn't real comfortable beyond the short term.

As previously stated, it's unfortunately of asian sizing.. not really western meat-head compatible.

I am using the stand-by of an el-cheapo repro Pagst instead.. it fits, and is comfortable for airsoft use, if not quite so current in 'airsoft style'.
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 12:08   #7
ManateeMatt

If you ever find one that is to big, let me know. my watermelon sized head doesn't fit any one that I can find (size 8ish)
ManateeMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 22:33   #8
jomor

7 7/8

I have a big head as well same size as yours, 63 or 7 and 7/8. I bought an opscore fast helmet. To get it to fit I removed just the front foam bad. However big my melon of head, it's not that smart. I stuck my head in the helmet forgetting that there was exposed velcro, the hook side. Man did that hurt and I had nice square red patch on my forhead for days! I ended up putting a soft thin material in forn of it and now its fine.
jomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 14:50   #9
dwsage

I'm sort of in the same predicament. My head is about 61-62cm.
Does anyone have a picture of themselves wearing the helmet and what you had to do to make it fit? I'm going to assume using a headset is out of the question if our noggins is this tight on the helmets
Old June 21st, 2012, 15:13   #10
Grey Ops

I've got a size 8ish gourd, let me know if you find anything Kokanee. :P
Old June 21st, 2012, 16:18   #11
HackD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsage View Post
I'm sort of in the same predicament. My head is about 61-62cm.
Does anyone have a picture of themselves wearing the helmet and what you had to do to make it fit? I'm going to assume using a headset is out of the question if our noggins is this tight on the helmets
I ended up ripping up a set of Comtec's and mounting 1 of the ear-pieces on the rail pure McGyver style. You can also do it using mounts for construction ear protectors at princess auto. Mine is admittedly a less refined solution, and the mount is shown pre-paint in the photo. For myself, this circumvented any space/clearance issues related to the headset that i had on hand. I guess i could have gone Bowman style, but it wasn't out for lefty shooters yet. (link via EagleDriver)

Picture of the helmet and headset. Myself included in the photo would be much more than my camera could withstand.

Last edited by HackD; June 21st, 2012 at 16:30..
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 23:52   #12
dwsage

That's tacticool Red Green style baby!
Old November 18th, 2017, 08:18   #13
Stainless Steel

Going to resurrect cuz I'm in the same boat here. Can't fit the worth of me find a decent looking helmet to fit my massive cranium. Mines like 24" circumference which is, I think, a size 7-8?
Stainless Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 17:37   #14
Kozure

I feel your pain, my large-craniumed brethren.

7-5/8 hat size / 61cm / 24" circumference checking in.

I too seek helmets for the plus-size gourd.

I can tell you for certain that the "one-size-fits-most" of the Emerson FAST Bump helmets is a little small for my head, and required that I remove a few of the foam spacers.
Kozure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 17:46   #15
TheHappy1

I also have a big head, ended up with an FMA repro and changed the inside for the one they sell and ended up having something interesting, I can take measurings tonight or next weekend to add details.
TheHappy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion