New, looking for first airsoft rifle

:

Newbie Tank

Old July 27th, 2015, 20:37   #31
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuk View Post
Hey thanks a lot Gato and Juke16 for the detailed feedback! Would you put the TopTech series in the same category of shit gun? I'm not talking full price (400$) but for a used in good condition (220-240$)?
Toptech is just as bad.

In regards to used, I wouldn't touch it, you're adding unknown use/treatment to an already low quality gun
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 20:39   #32
Juke16

^That too, I absolutely would not buy anything used from people I don't know, especially not for most of the prices that people are trying to sell their stuff off at. Most people have VERY heavy wear and tear on their guns, usually to the point where I wouldn't pay more than $200 for most of them.
Juke16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2015, 13:06   #33
Slodin

king arms full metal would be a good compromise. So you can get a full metal body for around $250 new (which is just a bit more expensive then a G&G). Now if you want to upgrade then you can later, if you are okay with stock, just keep it as is...
Old July 29th, 2015, 16:42   #34
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodin View Post
king arms full metal would be a good compromise. So you can get a full metal body for around $250 new (which is just a bit more expensive then a G&G). Now if you want to upgrade then you can later, if you are okay with stock, just keep it as is...
While not perfect, KA is a good starting point, pretty standard in terms of parts, decent out of the box and a metal body.
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2015, 16:45   #35
Kanuk

I have seen a King Arms M4A1 full metal for $255 at a store nearby. The reviews say some good things about it. Apparently it has good internals for the price and can be easily upgraded when you want.

Thanks for the advice!
Kanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2015, 17:45   #36
naminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuk View Post
I have seen a King Arms M4A1 full metal for $255 at a store nearby. The reviews say some good things about it. Apparently it has good internals for the price and can be easily upgraded when you want.

Thanks for the advice!
I had a mostly stock KA M4. I shattered the piston and blew a bearing. The stock wiring is also garbage (like any AEG basically) and replace the stock wiring with 16AWG wire from a hobby shop. That+new piston set+better shim job greatly increased trigger response and ROF.

Basically any sub 500$ AEG is going to have minor issues. If you are technically minded, you can greatly improve the performance of an AEG for basically free.
Were you maybe expecting 1+1 = donut?
naminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2015, 18:26   #37
Kanuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by naminator View Post
I had a mostly stock KA M4. I shattered the piston and blew a bearing. The stock wiring is also garbage (like any AEG basically) and replace the stock wiring with 16AWG wire from a hobby shop. That+new piston set+better shim job greatly increased trigger response and ROF.

Basically any sub 500$ AEG is going to have minor issues. If you are technically minded, you can greatly improve the performance of an AEG for basically free.
I'm aware that for the price it will break at some point and probably before a $500 AEG. However, I'll start with a cheap ($150-$250) one. It will allow me to learn how to repair it and upgrade it myself without being scared of throwing $500 away.

When I have more experience I'll probably look to buy a new $400+ rifle for my primary. This cheap one will be my fall back plan if I have an issue with my primary, or to lend to my friends so no need to be a expensive one.

As I am really looking forward my first game, I'll try to buy that G&G Top tech commando for $200-$240 if it's in fine condition. If it doesn't work and I don't really find a good deal on a used basic gun, I'll probably look for a new one (KA M4A1 or G&G CM16) to get it fast and start playing without worrying about any possible problem for the first couple months.

Thanks everyone for your great advice! If you think I am going in the wrong direction let me know!
Old July 29th, 2015, 20:08   #38
naminator

Kanuck what I am saying if you can take a 200-300$ rifle, put about 200$ worth of upgrades in it and it will perform as good if not better than a 500$ rifle stock.

Just make sure your first rifle is full metal because it makes a good base. Also if you are going with an M4/M16 build, make sure the mechbox is compatible with the majority of V2 upgrades. Some guns have a really bad habit of being incompatible with popular upgrades.
Were you maybe expecting 1+1 = donut?
naminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2015, 08:42   #39
Kanuk

Thanks everyone for your advices it really helped me before getting my first rifle. I know a couple of people said that G&G is crap but I've also seen good things about this company.

So I just bought a used G&G TR16 TopTech R4 Commando for $200. It came with a 9,6V / 1600mah battery, a smart charger, a sling, and a front grip. Apparently the person bought it last summer and used it around 4 games. I have to say that the body is still in pristine condition and there is no scratch. I did a couple of indoor shooting and everything seems to work fine. Can't wait to test it in a game now!!

Also I have played airsoft for a full day last weekend with a rental AEG (G&G CM16 Raider-L) and i absolutely loved it!

Again, thanks to everyone that answered my questions and gave me some advices!
Old August 17th, 2015, 19:57   #40
Devel

You could also try looking into Echo1 Genesis M4s... Not much of an expert on airsoft stuff yet but since I am basically in the same position as you, you can trust that I've used most of my time researching all available options lol. Its a polymer bodied gun, and around the 200-250 price range. So what it comes down to is: plastic VS metal. All the reviews I found for the Genesis say that it has really good internals, but shoots hot out of the box so you're gonna have to buy a spring and get it downgraded if you wanna be skirmishing it. In conclusion, if you don't mind not having a metal gun - and you want mid-high quality internals, get the Genesis.

If you want a metal M4, I heard that the King Arms M4 is a good place to start. I also heard DBOYS guns have really nice externals; but keep in mind that the thing with metal guns in the affordable price range is that they might look good on the outside - but there's a likelihood you're gonna have to spend money working on internals.

Personally though, once you get AV'd look around the classifieds and see if you can get a used VFC, etc. or anything that's already been in good hands. I heard you can get pretty nice deals there. That's what i'm planning to do.

PS: Have you considered getting a GBB pistol at all? Also if you have the time and money, go with your friends to a field, rent a gun, and play! Then maybe the decision process would be easier. Good luck!

Last edited by Devel; August 17th, 2015 at 20:07.. Reason: wrong info
Devel is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank