JonsM4

HOOAH!
Old January 19th, 2012, 22:24   #62
tygr701
"Back to you, Bob!"

Send a message via MSN to tygr701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev140_0 View Post
It appears there are some here who claim they will play in ANY weather and the game will be going on regardless.

I wonder how this is possible if the game happens to fall on a day of -23 and a 40km wind which brings on a wind chill of -34, but apparantly in "true" milsim games this is irrelavant and when you sign up you are in.
People won't play in that weather not so much for the weather but the because there is a chance that their gearbox will crack.

TEAM MSF CHANNELS:
YouTube - Facebook - ASC - Instagram

Si vis pacem, para bellum
tygr701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 22:26   #63
Trev140_0

Weather

Ya, thats why I put a clause in the games we put up too. In case of say.....

020111pod01_J[1].jpg

But I thought milsim is rain or shine. No?
Trev140_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 22:53   #64
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:

Attachment 28699

prudent hosts... and Commanders .. don't plan operations in weather where equipment and people don't operate.

Winter kills people.. for real
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 22:55   #65
Daiviet
Captain Sunshine

Quote:

Attachment 28699

I don't mean to sound hostile at all, but please don't bring the problems of your other thread into this one.

The milsims that I've been to with rain or shine have been ones with months worth of preparation, we're talking 6+ months notice. Game is a go regardless of weather, save for an act of god. Too much planning goes into it for a last minute cancellation due to a bit of rain.

I've played a game in -30 weather, luckily no windchill. I believe it was the recorded coldest winter day in 2009. Game was fun, the little bits that we had, a few friends came under prepared and safety was the first factor. Once we got them warmed up even more and shared some supplies (extra gloves, layers etc) we continued playing. Became more of who's better at fieldcraft rather than aim due to the guns getting a total range of 20 ft.

Some people will play through weather, some people will wait it out. The veteran hosts for milsims know that they need to compensate for it, so they have back up plans in terms of gameplay when 50% of the player base has to sleep/get warm/cool off frustrations.

Last edited by Daiviet; January 19th, 2012 at 22:57..
Daiviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 23:22   #66
Noob7_0

This is my noobs Milsim Kit list any comments?

Weapon Kit
- Your weapon
- Batteries – 1000MaH per 3 hours (is a good guide line pending play style?)
- Appropriate amount (you don’t need to carry 10 mid caps with you only can carry 100rnds in the field right) and type (low/mid etc) mags for the game (ie real caps/mids).
- Small tool kit and spare parts
- Cleaning kit?
- Speed loader
- Ammo
- Grenades
- sling

Clothing
- Combats
- Extra t-shirt
- Extra gitch
- 3 pairs wool or equal socks
- Boots
- Shell pending weather
- Rain gear pending weather
- Warm clothing pending weather

Equipment
- Load carrying gear (chest rig, PC, CIRAS etc)
- Hydration carrier
- Ruck sack
- Goggles
- Gloves
- Knee/elbow pads
- Flash light and batteries
- Watch
- Compass?
- Small note pad and pens?
- First aid kit
- Radio and spare batteries
- Multi tool

Food & Water
- 1L per hour/2 hour of play for warm weather, scale as needed, better to have to much then too little when you can dump it at camp.
- 100 calories per hour in food (power gels or equal are great as they have calories, caffine and other goodies your bodies need) with one “real” meal be it a can of ravioli or a sandwich (this comes from years of consuming power gels without real food in your belly)
- Camp food to remain with your dumped kit

Misc Gear
- Sun screen
- Battery charger
- Shelter
- Bug spray?
- Duct tape
- Electrical tape
- Spare weapon

How is “sniffle” gear perceived by the community? Are people going to look down upon to for showing up at camp with an extra set of clothes and 30L of water for a 24hr game?

How about civilian gear? Currently I am playing with a cheap chest rig that has so far done me well. For longer games I was going to bring a civie hydro pack and cam it up with a green t shirt. Is this practice allowed or does one have to attend the game in authentic/repo gear only?
Noob7_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 23:42   #67
Conker

As an answer to your question -and to all your kitlist, it's hard to give a definitive answer as that will changer a lot depending on the game.

Is it in the summer? Spring? Urban complex (Ã* la Picton) or 100% forest? Is it 30+ celcius or 15 with heavy showers? Are you tasked with patrol, direct action, reconnaissance? Etc...
Conker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 23:56   #68
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conker View Post
As an answer to your question -and to all your kitlist, it's hard to give a definitive answer as that will changer a lot depending on the game.

Is it in the summer? Spring? Urban complex (Ã* la Picton) or 100% forest? Is it 30+ celcius or 15 with heavy showers? Are you tasked with patrol, direct action, reconnaissance? Etc...
To add to this, it'll also be directly affected by YOU and your body, I've seen guys take -25 weather in a polypro shirt and rain jacket as if it was a slightly chilly day. If this is you, then you'll pack differently than someone who is still cold with 16 layers on. But like Conker said, seriously consider your role in the Op as well as possible weather
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 08:27   #69
Cs

I think most of us are looking for more of a rule of thumb type kit list. Of course you will change some of the items you bring depending on role but if someone had a standard list that works for them regardless of what role they are playing it would be nice to see.
Cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 09:38   #70
m102404
Tys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
This is constantly the problem with Milsim. Some players will say that they are good to go regardless of what happens, but bail at the slightest inconvenience. It makes it very hard for organizers to keep the game going and balanced when half of the other team basically stops playing.

Honestly it's really not hard to play for 24hours. Lots of people who finish their first one say that they thought it was going to be alot harder. Just come out with a good attitude, prepare as best you can, and try to be an asset to your team as best as you can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortex View Post
I like to place myself into a situation where it's actually more convenient to stay in the field. As in, take everything you need with you. That way it's either stay out there or make the (likely) long trip home.

That's a good way to get into the correct mindset as well. Take wimping out away from your available options. Or take enough shit so that wimping out in the field is bearable.
These are two of the best summary posts in the thread.

The only thing that I'd add is that with milsims everyone (from host to player) is counting on everyone else to pull their weight and be participating for the complete duration of the event.

Re. Noob7_0's kit list....good list, just some minor points
* batteries...with any AEG, try to set it up with the largest cell (i.e. SubC vs. 2/3A), largest capacity you can. You'll have to balance weight/fit/etc... Lots of guys went to LiPo's for that reason. Small batteries suck...it was written down in the FAQ before 2006 and it's still true now. Shame so many stocks now are setup only for the small sticks.

* you will definitely want a cleaning rod/unjamming rod somewhere in your group. The AEG ones are actually pretty bendy and fit into a large pack pretty good (does away with hauling a gun case around when you deploy). Don't need 80 of them out on the field...but it sucks balls when there's 0.

* forget grenades for wood games...unless there's bunkers/structures. You'll just lose them. Hard enough to find in dark buildings after a running firefight.

* clothing...add fresh, clean, dry, comfy clothing head to toe for post game. Add diaper wipes too...they'll clean anything off of anything.

* compass...mandatory. Pen/pencil and paper...mandatory. Also include a couple of those binder insert clear plastic sheet holders...for maps/codes/instructions/etc... Jamming paper into your pocket or down your rig will just result in a bunch of ripped up nonlegible pulp.

* forget the battery charger...if there's ever any power at a milsim, there's already chargers there. But best to not count on charging anything.

* don't forget whatever meds/etc...that you may need. Allergy med, contact lense solution/spare lenses, etc... You will want Advil...

Re. Extra stuff....
At Rhino our group of 14 took (roughly) 4 cases of water bottles, 2 large camp sized water coolers, 2x smaller camp water jugs, 2-3 other large jugs of water, 1 cooler full of ice. Plus misc gatorade/crystal packs/etc... We kept a reserve of 2 cases of water in the car for post game. In the middle of the night some of the guys made a run to get more water/ice...we were going to run out. It was 34deg C at 3am. We were passing out cold drinks to anyone who needed them and guys were using the ice to cool off.

Figure out what you need for hydration...then double it. If you reguarly strap on 30lbs and run around...then you'll have a good sense of what you need, weather adjusted. Otherwise...hedge your bets. The worst that happens is that you end up with some sore hands/shoulders from lugging it in.

Re gear...when you commit to a milsim you are committing to playing the part of that you've signed up for. DOES NOT mean that it has to be a fashion show where you must have the latest Magpul MultiCam Tactical Toothpick...but what you bring has to work.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 01:31   #71
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

I know this is going to be a necro, but there is good advice here sooooo BUMP.
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 02:01   #72
Kimbo
formerly pivot

+1 on M102404's list, especially the baby wipes.

Make sure that the T- shirt under your BDU's is poly pro. It'll trap heat next to your body wich will keep you warm when it's cold and make you sweat and cool you down when it's hot. They dry super fast as well, not like cotton t shirts.

Also plan around what your group will bring so you don't end up bringing duplicates on the field. Not everyone needs to bring a way to boil water, or not everyone needs a tool kit. A few per group will do.
Kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 12:05   #73
dwsage

I second what everyone said so far, one extra bit of kit that at least one person in the squad should bring...
a spray bottle with water and tea tree oil. I am not sure what the vegetation is like in Ontario but we have pretty serious tick problems here and the last thing you need is to have a tick latched onto you during the first few hours of the milsim. It will sap you of all your energy and potentially give you very serious diseases.

I can't remember the ratio but I think it's something like 10 drops of tea tree oil for every 250ml. spray onto any part of you that will be near or on top of the ground. Spray your boots, your pants (tuck them into your boots as well) and maybe your arms and butt. Ticks hate it and will not get near you.

And also keep an emergency foil blanket. they are only the size of a few credit cards stacked up when it's all folded up but it might save you from hypothermia.

And if possible, bring back up eye protection. You never know. Maybe you got the jump on a sniper and he reacted and shot you with too hot a gun and too close a range. It would suck to sit out the rest of the sim because you didn't have back up safety gear.

Edit: forgot one thing.. don't drink or eat anything that will require a washroom break half way into your first mission (ie coffee, taco bell, hot pockets...etc)

Last edited by dwsage; July 26th, 2012 at 20:38..
dwsage is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank