Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

nvg for indoor cqb?

:

Gear Discussion

Old July 8th, 2017, 16:58   #16
kudougw

I just saw this nvg ARMASIGHT by FLIR Spark CORE which has Resolution of 60-70 lp/mm, with enough IR lighting available, would that work for a indoor CQB like scenario?
kudougw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2017, 17:00   #17
Danke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudougw View Post
what would be the best bang for the buck gen2 nvg? since I dont plan to use it outside at all, Ima try gen2s, maybe i will evantually move up to the gen3s once I start to play outside abit more.
Waste of money. You`ll never get those costs back when you decide to upgrade.

White light is the way to go along with tritium iron sights. If you`re facing a ton of NVG users just white light them.
Old July 8th, 2017, 17:08   #18
BenG

Its airsoft, your life doesnt depend on the tech, you will have fun with gen 2 and a good ir light, you will also have fun with gen 3. Its like buying a mx-5 miata fun little car, a bmw z4 is a lot better and does the same thing but is much more expensive. I understand the limitations of my gen 2 device, but i dont want another grand and a half in my airsoft gear when im spending 30 000$ a year on school, i have FUN with my gen 2, and occasionly get my ass handed to me ina really dark spot by someone with gen 3

Age Verifier ~ Calgary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
I think that's the direction I should have gone with this one though.
gen1 - I can't see shit
gen2 - I see LOTS of green, but not many people
gen3 - Nobody wants to play with me because I'm an elitist asshole now
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2017, 04:48   #19
Derpystronk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudougw View Post
I just saw this nvg ARMASIGHT by FLIR Spark CORE which has Resolution of 60-70 lp/mm, with enough IR lighting available, would that work for a indoor CQB like scenario?
If you can find an insanely cheap enough Armasight Core, yeah. There are some that sold in the 400 range in the past and I would say that is a good "safe" number because you'd be able to get your money back, and for heavy illuminated indoor night time CQB it would be alright I guess

Just do not for the love of god buy one brand new, at retail, plus tax and all the other stuff. Just don't do it.
Old July 10th, 2017, 15:11   #20
BenG

Quote:
Originally Posted by W E W tastronk View Post
Just do not for the love of god buy one brand new, at retail, plus tax and all the other stuff. Just don't do it.
THIS.

also applies to gen 2 tubes:
at new price points gen 2 tubes in country are the same price as used gen 3 which is far better for the most part

Age Verifier ~ Calgary

Quote:
gen1 - I can't see shit
Old July 10th, 2017, 18:17   #21
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

The amount you'll pay for the brand new top end gen2 is actually significantly higher than what you'll pay for high end used gen3. It's kinda fucked up lol
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2017, 19:14   #22
riley_A

Quote:
The amount you'll pay for the brand new top end gen2 is actually significantly higher than what you'll pay for high end used gen3. It's kinda fucked up lol
What ThunderCactus said. When I was building my NOD's I considered buying a brand new European gen 2+ commercial tube. For me to buy a brand new comm spec tube would have cost me as much or more than what I paid in total for my whole device, and the tube I got was 10x better than any comm spec gen 2+ tube.
riley_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2017, 00:11   #23
Derpystronk

High end Gen 2 bashing needs to stop, period, because with the 4G shit Photonis has shown that it's clearly not as cut and dry as people make it out to be... And even before that different areas of the world actually served different tubes better because of weird atmospheric memes and what not.

And this idea of buying a BNIB Gen 2 with paperwork from a local business vs buying a used Gen 3 with no idea of history, where it came from etc... Is just silly. Apply this line of thinking to cars - I could go to the dealership and buy a brand new Honda, or I could buy a used BMW, with no paperwork or whatever or knowing exactly where it came from, for a little less than the brand new Honda - and you see this is kind of a silly statement to make.

The lack of honest discussion in this thread genuinely bothers me.
Old July 11th, 2017, 00:57   #24
AnthonyG
LUser Title

Quote:
Why not compare apples to apples instead of apples to oranges?

Gen 2+ is more expensive, BUT it's brand new and obtained through the proper channels. Your gen 3 (read: American-made) tubes are either acquired through questionable means or just someone else's dirty laundry.

Apples to Apples: If you somehow have access to the channels through which to acquire NEW Gen 3 here in Canada, the numbers I've seen suggest it is AS EXPENSIVE, or MORE expensive than your Gen 2+ European tubes.

I'm just getting into the NVG game, and have been pretty hesitant to drop 4k on a "Selling-for-a-friend" tube, when I can get 90% of the performance out of something brand-new for LESS than 4k.

*Busy signing for his packages*
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2017, 02:13   #25
ThunderCactus

Where are you finding 4G equipped units for less than $4000CAD? Wouldn't mind getting one myself when it's time to replace my omni 6 tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pyd-LXPTUg

If you're buying NEW, yeah the gen2 is way better than what we can get for gen3 in Canada. But why buy new when you can get used gen3 that performs even better than the brand new gen3 available or brand new gen2 from europe for much less?
It's not like you're buying a crapshoot, the tubes are labelled.
Old July 11th, 2017, 03:06   #26
Derpystronk

Quote:
If you're buying NEW, yeah the gen2 is way better than what we can get for gen3 in Canada. But why buy new when you can get used gen3 that performs even better than the brand new gen3 available or brand new gen2 from europe for much less?
The difference, depending on the unit, isn't always THAT drastic since they are more than usable the vast majority of the time... and ultimately it's the same reason I might pay a little more going to Best Buy getting a somewhat worse TV than buying a flatscreen out of the back of a guys truck in an alleyway.

This is coming from someone that does advocate people buy the used Gen 3's on the classifieds - they are usually a good deal - but to act like it's an open and shut case through and through is dishonest at best.
Old July 11th, 2017, 11:10   #27
BenG

OP asked whats best on a budget >5000euro new photonis tube or <4000CAD gen 3, obviously on a tight budget used gen 2 is even cheaper, but between the 2 best options, used gen 3 is much more budget friendly

Age Verifier ~ Calgary

Quote:
gen1 - I can't see shit
Old July 11th, 2017, 11:14   #28
ThunderCactus

And a used or new $1200-1600 gen2 tube is going to be best fit for use.
Just like gen3 is overkill, a $4000 top end gen2 tube is WAAAAAY above what you need in a well IR illuminated cqb environment.
Old July 11th, 2017, 22:19   #29
Danke

Don't buy anything. DARPA is working on NVG contact lenses. Hold out for the good stuff.
Old July 11th, 2017, 23:04   #30
Derpystronk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
OP asked whats best on a budget >5000euro new photonis tube or <4000CAD gen 3, obviously on a tight budget used gen 2 is even cheaper, but between the 2 best options, used gen 3 is much more budget friendly
And as Anthony said above, compare apples to apples. You seem to be unwilling to admit there are different circumstances that drive these prices and you need to factor it into your purchase decision (ie risk inherent to used gen 3 such as lack of history, no warranty, etc)

These are important factors as well that inform whether or not a price is a good deal. Some people may hold different opinions than you in this regard.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion