Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

MOSFET suggestions

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old May 10th, 2010, 09:24   #1
doc_pathfinders

MOSFET suggestions

Dear all,

i'm looking to upgrade a few of my AEG's to using MOSFET, i have done some research but i was looking for advice from other GunDoc's as to what brand they use, or advise me to use...

the guns that i'll be upgrading are :
1. Top M249 W/PGC gearbox (hummer 1300 motor, with an m120 spring) will be run on a 7.4 lipoly
2. SPR mk12 Mod0 that will be upgraded to an M150 spring, guarder infinite torque motor etc that will be run on a 11.1v lipoly OR a 9.6v 3000Mah NiMH, if it can hack it.. ( i doubt, but i have three of these batt's and i'll make use of them if i can)
3. classic army M4, standard internals (shooting at around 380FPS) that i will run on either a 7.4 or 11.1 lipoly

so i'm looking for a total of three and it would be great if the one's i'll run in the M4's could support active breaking, but i'd preffer what works then any fancy features that may reduce the reliability.

i'm not too worried about the cost, but i want something that will work and has been shown to take a fair bit of abuse (my m249 will get plenty of it)

i'm very open to suggestions, but i would like suggestions toward places that have them in stock, as some locations i have seen written about haven't had stock for a while.
doc_pathfinders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 09:44   #2
Azathoth

Where do you live?

I have been to Don's home to work on and guns and have him trouble shoot TM units he is a really stand up guy and I would recommend his stuff found here:

http://unconventional-airsoft.com/

He also sells via this board.

Gandolf from ASM makes excellent boards as well, they can be found here:

http://forums.airsoftmechanics.com/i...p?topic=2424.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
it would appear I am not first up in this gang-bang
---
WANTED PTW Receiver PRIME, STG, Factory
Azathoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 09:51   #3
Zeonprime

Location: Waterloo, kitchener, guelph, mississauga, north east toronto
Triggermaster from DonP

Quote:
Be safe not just with yourself, but those you play with. If you are reckless with other peoples safety then you will leave.
Zeonprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:06   #4
doc_pathfinders

Azathoth, i'm in cyprus (little island in the med' ) so everything will be ordered over the net.

i've seen the most about TM's.. but they're out of stock of the mk3 until later this month.. (guess i'll just wait)

anyone tried using the SMU? i was thinking of the MK3 for my SPR, and SMUs for everything else (but i'm mildly worried about how it would stand up to _long_ bursts on the 249, might grab another mk3 for that)
Old May 10th, 2010, 13:30   #5
DonP

Thanks for the kind words and recommendations!

doc_pathfinders, the SMU is a good fit for the M249, they are in stock right now. Other stuff (as you saw) will be back in stock later this month (May 2010) when my new production run is complete. Feel free to ask any questions.
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 14:53   #6
doc_pathfinders

excellent, just the man to ask!

i'm sure that the TM Mk3 would cope with the load imposed by an M150, but as i have stated, i'm looking to put one of these in my m249, (m120 spring load, so not 'over the top') BUT i would like to know how well the SMU would cope with _extended_ bursts (upto/including 30 seconds) overheating is my main concern..

i guess i'm damn lucky to have you available to answer my questions

EDIT:
to be honest, i'm sold on the TM Mk3.. just need to wait for it to come in stock.

Last edited by doc_pathfinders; May 10th, 2010 at 15:27..
Old May 10th, 2010, 23:44   #7
PrIeSt
takagari

Send a message via MSN to PrIeSt Send a message via Skype™ to PrIeSt
they are nice. for future lookers. if you want a bit cheaper the AB-Long from extreme fire is a pretty nice little piece. and has an inline fuse.

I have a TM myself but they get pricy. Although you can just move it from gun to gun and reset it each time
PrIeSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 23:49   #8
Skladfin

Trigger Master.

DonP is a great guy, he even made a custom MOSFET for me because I did not have enough space inside my rifle. On top of that, he quoted me a very reasonable price. Good comms and detailed instructions. What more can you ask for?

However if you want a really cheap pre-built-drop-in MOSFET, JG ones work as well. They have them for V2 gearboxes both Front and rear wired @ Airsoft Atlanta for about $40 shipped each.
Skladfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 00:42   #9
juicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skladfin View Post
Trigger Master.

DonP is a great guy, he even made a custom MOSFET for me because I did not have enough space inside my rifle. On top of that, he quoted me a very reasonable price. Good comms and detailed instructions. What more can you ask for?

However if you want a really cheap pre-built-drop-in MOSFET, JG ones work as well. They have them for V2 gearboxes both Front and rear wired @ Airsoft Atlanta for about $40 shipped each.
Or you can the JG's from Huang, too. It's my gun, Skladfin is most likely referring to here...
juicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 01:06   #10
Azathoth

I personally would avoid the JG units. I would rather goto the ASM and get a unit from Gandolf or AWS and one of there basic units.

Generally consensus on ASM is AVOID systema units
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
it would appear I am not first up in this gang-bang
---
WANTED PTW Receiver PRIME, STG, Factory
Azathoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 01:16   #11
Skladfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy View Post
Or you can the JG's from Huang, too. It's my gun, Skladfin is most likely referring to here...
shoulda told me earlier =(
Skladfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 01:57   #12
juicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skladfin View Post
shoulda told me earlier =(
Damn, I thought you disliked mosfet's in general? I guess not... Anyway, Huang appears to be currently out of stock when I checked on his site a few hours ago.

Well, for what it's worth, dumping a JG in a gun doc's lap and saying "make it work good" isn't a horrible way to go - I, for one, know little-to-nothing about AEG's and thus trust *crosses fingers* that Skladfin knows his stuff and can figure out installation of parts and such. So far, he seems to have gotten my second AEG (also a second JG) up and running nicely... minus a few electrical problems related to motor connectors and the like (simple stuff that I just am totally clueless on).
juicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 02:29   #13
doc_pathfinders

can i just ask, what are the problems with systema mosfets?

I ask because i had come across them, and i had one in a PSG1 (shooting at 550FPS) i used to own.. and given the low-volume of fire it didn't do too badly.
Old May 13th, 2010, 17:22   #14
DonP

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_pathfinders View Post
i'm sure that the TM Mk3 would cope with the load imposed by an M150, but as i have stated, i'm looking to put one of these in my m249, (m120 spring load, so not 'over the top') BUT i would like to know how well the SMU would cope with _extended_ bursts (upto/including 30 seconds) overheating is my main concern..
The SMU should be able to handle what you throw at it with an M249 like that, just note though that with the Mk3 since the M249 has no semi-auto, it will be unable to use any firing modes that require the gun to be on semi-auto.

Visual aid:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M249-table.jpg (115.3 KB, 27 views)
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 18:41   #15
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

+1 on triggermaster, but you should REALLY get your motors tuned, otherwise you'll just be overheating the motor and mosfet
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications