Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Choosing a new airsoft rifle: Basic B M4, SCAR, other?

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old April 22nd, 2016, 09:58   #1
Burger

Choosing a new airsoft rifle: Basic B M4, SCAR, other?

Good morning airsoft Canada I'm looking to get my next airsoft rifle.

I was looking at the SCAR because I like the real-world idea and application of the SCAR, but I've seen on some sites that they are a pain to work on. Does anyone have any opinions on the Scar? Is it durable, hard to work on, a pain because of the special parts?

My other choice is an AR15 variant, any brand suggestions would be nice. I'm looking to spend around $500 and want it to have a monolithic rail extending to most of the barrel and 14-18 inch barrel.

Any other modern assault rifle suggestions would be appreciated.

Before you state it, I have already Google and searched, I'm asking for more comments and opinions. :3

Thank you.
Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2016, 10:14   #2
ForeRunner

I purchased a WE Scar-L from a user on the forums here and after an open bolt upgrade it has been incredible. Ignoring the AEG specification, the ergonomics of the Scar are great. Some do find them to be a bit front heavy but that's a personal preference thing. For an AEG, my first was a G&G Top Tech TR4-18 (416 variant). It has been my workhorse for the last few years and has never let me down. This season I'm running a new SMP in it and so far it's a killer. However, they are not licensed and are missing out on some trademarks and finishes other brands are running with.

With your budget, I would recommend taking a look at VFC if you want a rock solid build and authentic trademarks. My only regret running the G&G was the aesthetics aspect. You can't go wrong with a 416-styled rifle and any AR-15/M-4/M-16/416 style rifle will have a plethora of aftermarket parts and upgrades for the choosing. The nice thing about both Scars and M-4 styles is that they both use the same style (STANAG) magazines so if you're already running a series of pouches for these types, you won't have to spend cash on changing out your load bearing gear.

My suggestion is to visit a local store if you can and handle several models to see what feels right to you. I think the general consensus on the forums these days is that VFC is making some rockstar AEGs and should be near the top of your list for options. However, if you're looking to accessorize or anything, other brands like G&G, G&P, etc will fill the role as well. With their (generally) lower costs, you can spend the rest of your budget on extras.

Good luck!
ForeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2016, 10:23   #3
Burger

Thanks Forerunner, I used to have a VFC and have handled, seen in use and/ or used all of the rifles you suggested. I remember people used to have problems with VFC pistons breaking. Do you know if this is still a problem?

I'm most concerned with the construction meaning is it hard to break, after that is aftermarket support meaning can I get replacement parts. The thing Is I break everything I touch, this happens so often it'seems almost a super power.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 10:25   #4
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
Budget?
AEG or GBBR?
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2016, 10:32   #5
Desmodus
Mexifaggot

A good friend and teammate of mine runs a VFC SCAR L, and has almost nothing negative to say about it. The one thing that I've been told is that the stock assembly/hinges on them seem a little fragile. I don't think the SCAR would really be all that more difficult to work on than a normal AR.

From what I've seen and heard, VFC guns have excellent quality control and fitment of parts, so finding replacements and installing them should you ever need them, will be a breeze.

Primaries: LCT AK74MN w/SKTBR, VFC M4 SOPMOD Block 2
Secondary: Latino heat, TM Glock 17
Desmodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2016, 10:37   #6
Burger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioRage View Post
Budget?
AEG or GBBR?
There is a budget in there, but it's around $500, and AEG.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 10:52   #7
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmodus View Post
I don't think the SCAR would really be all that more difficult to work on than a normal AR.
Actually, quite a bit more difficult due to the selector switch. And working on the gearbox means flexing the receiver to get it in/out, which can cause the receiver to warp and your selector not work.

Having worked on a few SCARs, I quickly swore off of even touching them as they can be a PITA.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2016, 11:02   #8
BioRage

Basically anything VFC; model comes down to what you want, and I get the hint you want a SCAR.

Top two choices:

VFC SCAR-L
VFC SCAR-H (In your 14-18" REQ.)

ETC:

VFC 416
VFC 417 (?)
VFC MK12
Old April 22nd, 2016, 11:03   #9
Desmodus
Mexifaggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee View Post
Actually, quite a bit more difficult due to the selector switch. And working on the gearbox means flexing the receiver to get it in/out, which can cause the receiver to warp and your selector not work.

Having worked on a few SCARs, I quickly swore off of even touching them as they can be a PITA.
Shit son, I wasn't aware of that... I stand corrected.

Primaries: LCT AK74MN w/SKTBR, VFC M4 SOPMOD Block 2
Secondary: Latino heat, TM Glock 17

Last edited by Desmodus; April 22nd, 2016 at 11:23..
Desmodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2016, 11:07   #10
BioRage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmodus View Post
Shit son, I wasn't aware that... I stand corrected.
Think Zi mentioned that too, but over-all it's a nice gun, minus the qwerks.

Easiest and obvious standardized gun is a AR-15 series.. if you're on a budget, look at VFC's VF16 models. Same externals and internals, but you have "VR16 VFC" trades versus something nicer.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 11:26   #11
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

I think the VFC Scar has a post through style ambi-selector.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 11:42   #12
Burger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee View Post

I'very also seen on some forums that one has to remove the stock plate at the back everyone one wants to work on it, and since I break everything I touch I don't need a gun that is hard to take apart.

Thank you for the feedback.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 11:44   #13
Burger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioRage View Post
Think Zi mentioned that too, but over-all it's a nice gun, minus the qwerks.

Easiest and obvious standardized gun is a AR-15 series.. if you're on a budget, look at VFC's VF16 models. Same externals and internals, but you have "VR16 VFC" trades versus something nicer.
Pfft, I don't care about trades. I only care that it is as solid as a tank.

Last edited by Burger; April 22nd, 2016 at 11:48..
Old April 22nd, 2016, 14:03   #14
Burger

How is the G&G TR4-18 compared to the VFC Version?
Old April 22nd, 2016, 14:07   #15
Datawraith

VFC > G&G, hands down (for AEG M4s and AKs) externally and internally.
Datawraith is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion