Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

AK Guru's help needed - LCT AKMSU modded front end

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old March 10th, 2015, 18:21   #1
HackD

AK Guru's help needed - LCT AKMSU modded front end

An AK Guru's help/advice is definitely desired, purists might want to look away..

I'm trying to get this season's boom-sticks all setup to my taste, and i'm running into a few issues, regarding mating of an (AABB?) compact 'shorty' PBS-1 suppressor purchased from airsoftdepot (http://airsoftdepot.ca/catalog/produ...oducts_id=2337) , to my Tactical Fantasy LCT AKMSU. I actually ordered the regular length (http://airsoftdepot.ca/catalog/produ...roducts_id=284) and the shorty appears to have been sent in error, instead. I'll need to rectify that issue, tomorrow when open. Even with the correct PBS-1 that i ordered, the basic issue still likely remains.

I got the idea from the below image:

from this Japanese blog, translates fairly poorly through Google .. http://carbinesan.militaryblog.jp/e252542.html

I'm not trying to direct copy, but get a similar approximation flush fit to the sight block/gas tube of the AKMSU muzzle, as seen on the above photo

.. and this is my result, so far.

As can be seen, i am using a Hephaestus Aluminum Silencer Adapter for GHK AK Series (24mm CW to 14mm CCW) .. the AABB PBS-1 in turn uses an internal thread insert that converts from 14mm CW to 16 or 18mm CW (I think). This is not ideal to me .. i would much prefer it being flush fit against the sight block, as already said, and as shown in the inspiration photo.

What do i need to do, to rectify this? Do i need to go to a different airsoft manufacturer sight block (LCT uses an integral 24mm threaded sight block/gas tube assembly) to make this work? Different PBS-1? Machine out and tap the PBS-1 to get to 24mm CW? What am i not getting here, in this equation to my ideal of perfection?

Thanks for any help/pointers..

Last edited by HackD; March 10th, 2015 at 20:28..
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 19:14   #2
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

Send a message via MSN to beta678
You need a PBS-1 w/ the 24mm threading.

He's got a UFC PBS-1 if I'm not mistaken, I think 5KU and Building Fire also make one with the 24mm threads with a 14mm insert.

But since you've already gotten a PBS-1, your best bet is to just get it drilled out and tapped for 24mm threads.
Old March 10th, 2015, 19:30   #3
HackD

Thank you, sir.

Tap, it will be.
Old March 10th, 2015, 19:38   #4
MADDOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackD View Post
Thank you, sir.

Tap, it will be.
I could trade you my long version with both flush mount adaptors for your short version.
It is a little banged up but I would prefer a short option

But if you removed the Hepastus adaptor and took out the PBS insert, will it not just screw on to the front sight threads directly?

Cry Havoc, Let slip the Dogs of War!

"Opportunities multiply as they are seized."
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War
MADDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 20:07   #5
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

The short one from airsoftdepot which he has doesn't have the 14mm-24mm insert, think its just a 14mm CW/CCW adapter in it.

The regular length one which he actually ordered, looks like it might have the 24mm threads with the insert is removed. Best bet is to have it exchanged to the one he actually ordered and see if that's the case, if not, drill and tap then.

I have a mild suspicion the shorty they have pictured is the Building Fire PBS-1, which would mean 24mm threads.

Last edited by beta678; March 10th, 2015 at 20:12..
beta678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 20:13   #6
HackD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
I could trade you my long version with both flush mount adaptors for your short version.
It is a little banged up but I would prefer a short option

But if you removed the Hepastus adaptor and took out the PBS insert, will it not just screw on to the front sight threads directly?
Banged up, it depends on just how much.. If it is well worn, paint-wise, with very minor dings, not an issue. If it looks like it has been used as a pry-bar along the way, something of an issue.

I did a bit of checking after Beta678's post - it's a removable 14mm CW to 18mm CW threading insert adapter in the suppressor base. As such with the PBS-1 Shorty, unless tapped out, it's not going to fit the LCT sight block/gas tube assembly, of which the 24mm CW muzzle threading base is integrated onto, and slips over the end of the unthreaded outer barrel itself.

So yes, if your's is a 24mm CW threaded PBS-1 and in somewhat good shape still, I might well consider a trade, just to get 'er done. The whole point of this in the end, is to change out my inner barrel to something a bit longer than the LCT AKMSU barrel, and get some what-if Commie Tacti-cool while i'm at it.

I've already got a 24mm CW tap sourced out.. just got to hit the 'fuck my VISA further' button, to go ahead with that route.
Old March 10th, 2015, 20:19   #7
HackD

I'm 99% sure that it is this one, that airsoftdepot sent me, in error. You can see the 14mm CW to 18mm CW threading insert in the back-side view.

Mis-labeled PBS-3, to boot..

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/aabb-pbs-...l#.VP-JfdJ4qlw
Old March 10th, 2015, 20:20   #8
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

Quote:
I'm 99% sure that it is this one, that airsoftdepot sent me, in error. You can see the 14mm CW to 18mm CW threading insert in the back-side view.

Mis-labeled PBS-3, to boot..

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/aabb-pbs-...l#.VP-JfdJ4qlw
Can you get them to send you the other one? Cause if I'm not mistaken, that one has the threads you need.

Plus the review seems to confirm it lol, probably the element/building fire PBS-1 after checking the engraved numbers on it.

http://airsoftdepot.ca/catalog/produ...&reviews_id=25
Old March 10th, 2015, 20:27   #9
HackD

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta678 View Post
Can you get them to send you the other one? Cause if I'm not mistaken, that one has the threads you need.

Plus the review seems to confirm it lol, probably the element/building fire PBS-1 after checking the engraved numbers on it.

http://airsoftdepot.ca/catalog/produ...&reviews_id=25
I'll give airsoftdepot a ring tomorrow about my issue.. i don't even know if i saved the boxing for it, receiving it the day before recycling day..

Thanks for the help on this.
Old March 10th, 2015, 20:37   #10
ebfud

You could always change out the gas block for a 14mm threaded version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
I say we go over there, knock on their door and politely ask them to stop...with a cruise-missile...to the face.
ebfud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2015, 15:15   #11
HackD

Welp, that's a fail, x2.

Airsoftdepot sent the longer one, 'as ordered', except it isn't the one as pictured on the website. Same as the short, just longer. Same threading insert as the other one, going from 14 to 18mm.

So, i guess it's off to find a machine shop to tap it out to 24mm.
Old March 16th, 2015, 16:33   #12
Disco_Dante

Quote:
Welp, that's a fail, x2.

Airsoftdepot sent the longer one, 'as ordered', except it isn't the one as pictured on the website. Same as the short, just longer. Same threading insert as the other one, going from 14 to 18mm.

So, i guess it's off to find a machine shop to tap it out to 24mm.
I'm not sure how much money you want to spend on this but you can also buy Dummy suppressors for real AKs that will be 24mm. I was looking into that when I couldn't find a PBS4 with 24mm threads. I ended up going with a DTK4 replica, which is the modern suppressor for the AK series, and comes in either 24mm or 14mm. You can get them both from Samoon.

Not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.
Disco_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 20:41   #13
HackD

Not really interested in pursuing this further - this suppressor is enough of a close approximation to what i need/desire in terms of form and function.

However, thank you for the Samoon suggestion.

Dropped the suppressor and the gun off at a machine shop today - they'll have the suppressor base modified pretty quickly/cheaply this week, and returned back to me in satisfactory form.

Definitely on par, for the cost in time and money of posting them back to airsoftdepot.
Old March 17th, 2015, 21:56   #14
brock0

Depot sucks. I'm sure it's a shop filled to the brim with the nicest people in the whole wide world but they simply fail hard at shipping.

Not that it's helpful in this situation but I'm not at all surprised.
brock0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 20:11   #15
HackD

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock0 View Post
Depot sucks. I'm sure it's a shop filled to the brim with the nicest people in the whole wide world but they simply fail hard at shipping.

Not that it's helpful in this situation but I'm not at all surprised.
Yes, i have had a few odd mis-picked orders in the past also .. this 2x in a row FUBAR is pretty much the deal breaker for me.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications