Why does everyone want to be a sniper?

:

General

Old May 28th, 2008, 15:30   #121
Armandhammer

Send a message via MSN to Armandhammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SdtAuclair View Post
why everyone wants to be a sniper? What i think is: In all the movie, in all TV show that inclues gun, who is the biggest ''hero''... its always the sniper, sniper have a good reputation, sniper weaponry is cool too. People like what they see in Movie. BUT, be a sniper is not like what you see in the movie, it can be long before you see someone, takes ALOT of practise to be a good sniper and ALOT of patience.
Its not everyone that can be a sniper.

Now I am not a sniper but i put my 1 cent on what i think why every body wants to be a sniper :P
lol like MrEvolution's List?

1) Jackson (religious sniper) in Private Ryan who takes out like 300 guys before getting exploded.
2) The 2 snipers (Shugart, Gordon) in black hawk down that go down in a blaze of glory
3) Enemy at the Gates german dude.
4) German sniper that kills Vin Diesel in SPR, then gets shot in the eye by jackson
5) Tom Berenger
6) young Captain Price in CoD4

I think everyone that is interested in becoming a sniper has been influenced by some sort of media, including my cousin. The fact of a Lone-Sniper taking on a hundred other soldiers may seem so cool...but in realality at an actual airsoft game, it can be the complete opposite of what you really think a sniper actually does...
Armandhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 15:33   #122
Shrike
ASC Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armandhammer View Post
For those looking to buy an airsoft sniper for there first airsoft gun...I would recommend this thread(just get passed a bunch of lol's) and it will be very helpful to you

Armand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armandhammer View Post
2)For those who have used a sniper and a automatic AEG, which one did you prefer in a game?(Woodland scenario for example)
EDIT: IT'S Sniper RIFLE or WEAPON.

All this info, all these threads/posts. And he still says this. I was waiting for some noob to do it but I didn't expect the OP.

/pet peeve rant

ps. I'm grumpy and in pain I should ignore but I am also sometimes obsessive. Please ignore this post unless you find it funny.

Last edited by Shrike; May 28th, 2008 at 15:41..
Shrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 15:42   #123
Armandhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike View Post
All this info, all these threads/posts. And he still says this. I was waiting for some noob to do it but I didn't expect the OP.

/pet peeve rant

I have implied in many of my posts about not being allowed to purchase airsoft guns, watching airsoft games and waiting until you are 18. That statement was for those of you legally aged to play airsoft.

not going to argue...

O I see....send me a PM then about all the problems you are facing...I wouldn't mind lol

Take your anger out
Old May 28th, 2008, 17:24   #124
PvtSpartykus

original quote:

PvtSpartykus:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtSpartykus
(...) My initial interest lay in support. The feeling of bullets constantly being projected as time flies by idle to the carnage set forth by your weapon. Really, it's exhilarating. Though accuracy is not your prime objective you serve as a suppressor for the glory of your compagnions; really, how could one not adore it? Your role is to attract enemy attention and divert attention, aid others to attain cover, suppressive fire! It's all so amazing, no? (...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOX_111 View Post
I think you need to see a doctor...

Anyway, I see your point. It's fun to shoot things in an over abundant use of force. But to kill for real in the process... I don't think so. I just hope you are not implying a real situation.
hahaha no no of course not, I'm incapable of taking a human life in life like situations. If I was forced to to defend myself or others around me then I might have to restort to that kind of force. I was implying that one would use an airsoft gun. 'Carnage' was simply a poetic way of phrasing to make he support class seem grander than it is in an airsoft context. Obviously, one wouldn't feel the same way with a replica as a real weapon. I adore shoting multiple bbs even if I'm not hitting anyone. The fear that a great rate of fire instils is superior to the fear of being 'scoped out' by a sniper weapon/rifle (that one was for you Shrike) in my opinion. It's also very useful, I suppose, to supply cover fire regardless of wether or not you're actually hiting the targes (though eliminating targets is always useful :P ).

Honestly, The sniper class is a phenominal class to master. In all sincerety, I'm not cut out for this class because I don't think like a sniper should in order to master this position. maybe novices feel that they need to prove themselves and demonstrate their intuition by taking an over glorifie position in hopes of acheiving the respect of others? One thing is certain, the sniper class is definately over glorified by the media (in my opinion of course). There are countless unrealistic scenes where snipers take out multiple units, when in reality a sniper would have to have a VERY effective game plan to accomplish such a feet. Every class has its advantages and disadvantags (As 'm sure you're all aware being enthusiasts of replica combat scenarios an weapons), finding the right one for you is always tough. Foe a novice admitting that the are ot cut out for sharpshotting is hard I suppose, it might make them feel inferior. Because they lack the right mind set it might make them feel useless or might hihlight the gap between them and experienced players. I wouldn't mind trying a sniper role but I'd have to do so with less experienced players I suppose.

Regards,

PvtSpartykus

Last edited by PvtSpartykus; May 28th, 2008 at 17:46.. Reason: miss quoted entry
PvtSpartykus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 19:51   #125
Armandhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtSpartykus View Post
original quote:

PvtSpartykus:

hahaha no no of course not, I'm incapable of taking a human life in life like situations. If I was forced to to defend myself or others around me then I might have to restort to that kind of force. I was implying that one would use an airsoft gun. 'Carnage' was simply a poetic way of phrasing to make he support class seem grander than it is in an airsoft context. Obviously, one wouldn't feel the same way with a replica as a real weapon. I adore shoting multiple bbs even if I'm not hitting anyone. The fear that a great rate of fire instils is superior to the fear of being 'scoped out' by a sniper weapon/rifle (that one was for you Shrike) in my opinion. It's also very useful, I suppose, to supply cover fire regardless of wether or not you're actually hiting the targes (though eliminating targets is always useful :P ).

Honestly, The sniper class is a phenominal class to master. In all sincerety, I'm not cut out for this class because I don't think like a sniper should in order to master this position. maybe novices feel that they need to prove themselves and demonstrate their intuition by taking an over glorifie position in hopes of acheiving the respect of others? One thing is certain, the sniper class is definately over glorified by the media (in my opinion of course). There are countless unrealistic scenes where snipers take out multiple units, when in reality a sniper would have to have a VERY effective game plan to accomplish such a feet. Every class has its advantages and disadvantags (As 'm sure you're all aware being enthusiasts of replica combat scenarios an weapons), finding the right one for you is always tough. Foe a novice admitting that the are ot cut out for sharpshotting is hard I suppose, it might make them feel inferior. Because they lack the right mind set it might make them feel useless or might hihlight the gap between them and experienced players. I wouldn't mind trying a sniper role but I'd have to do so with less experienced players I suppose.

Regards,

PvtSpartykus
Very good post PvtSpartyykus, thanks for posting. The line that I bolded was just like my cousin. If he ever does get into airsoft, he wants to play the "glorified" position that everyone loves him for. He also thinks that the opposing players will simply run up towards his fortified and far away spot; I know see why you would want to play with less experienced players the first time you try out the sniper role.

Thanks for contributing
Old May 28th, 2008, 22:03   #126
PvtSpartykus

Convinsing your Cousin

Quote:
The line that I bolded was just like my cousin.If he ever does get into airsoft, he wants to play the "glorified" position that everyone loves him for. He also thinks that the opposing players will simply run up towards his fortified and far away spot; I know see why you would want to play with less experienced players the first time you try out the sniper role.
Players who are new to this game wuld think that eliminating all the opposition by themselves would qualify as glorifying. In reality that isn't true. If your cousin wereto eliminate everyone, playing the role of sniper, I'm sure everyone on his team would purely be annoyed. Firstly, because he eliminated everyone by himself and left no opposing forces for the others to deal with, causing team mates to feel relatively useless. Further, because the sniper is a more individual position in relation to the team dynamic. These factors coupled together introduce a new element of frustration: Anyone playing this game would agree that we choose this over paintball because we want to be involved in squad based tactical game, right? In the process of eliminating the countering forces and as a sniper, which is a seemingly 'lone-wolf' position, a sniper would have little contact with his team in reason of constantly moving about to avoid C.Q.C with the enemy; consequently, by 'stealing' all the eliminating shots and having little contact with team members one could regard this player as someone that is uninterested in playing in a squad and would be more suited for a sport such as paintball (yes, you've guessed it, paintball is MY petpeeve. Don't get me wrong it's not boring it just doesn't come close to airsoft in terms of.... EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Where as I (for example) am content in having a lesser amount of eliminations for myself and find my self gratification in the puirsuit of accomplishing task that could be considered useful for my team.

You are right Armandhammer, it seems that novices often have the tendency to 'go right for the sniper class'. It's unfortunate but most likely unavoidable because of socio-cultural influences. In my opinion the best we can do is educate people on tactics that are often employed in real airsoft combat scenarios, emphasizing the snipers roles to demonstrate how much effort a sniper must be willng to dispense in order to get one meager elimination (as crucial as it maybe). Also, showing off beautiful assault rifles might help stear them away from the sniper position if they could see that not only sniper rifles/weapons can look devastaing.

Once that is done your cousin needs some serious time to decided wether he is still willing to invest in a sniper grade rifle (which is often expensive). An airsoft gun (especially in canada) is not a small investment, it takes a longtime to decide what model is right for yourself. Much care must be placed in the research and care of guns. Also, your cousin has to be aware that all tactics he will be learning will be sniper based, which, in many cases, are slightly demanding patience wise. Many times, a sniper will have to wait for the assault and support groups to take out enemies before advancing to a comfortable position; all the while, maintaining a covert position lying on the wet, humid forest ground with a heavy ghilliesuit on; sweating, exhausted, bored, frustrated from waiting, frustrated from having not fired a single round until 15 minutes in to the game and most likely (if your playing against a good team) missing the first shot in reason of the enemy cover-fire being too strong. Really, you should demonstrate these facts to your cousin and see if he still prefers an M24 over an M4 or M249.

best of luck informing your cousin and my sincerest wishes in your reseach for the gun that you will eventually purchase when you come of age,

PvtSpartykus

Last edited by PvtSpartykus; May 28th, 2008 at 22:11..
Old May 28th, 2008, 23:07   #127
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Seeing this word "Glorified" makes me think of a few things I'd like to bounce off you guys (gonna talk airsoft here):

* Snipers seem to be looked at in this way because of the confidence of doing their thing by themselves or with another, without being among a group or 6-12 guys for support. True?

* Snipers tend to work on, upgrade and tune their own guns, because a lot of the time it's the same thing as packing one's own parachute. Makes them much more in tune with the way their gun shoots, best ammo choices, etc. True?

* Snipers make their own ghillies, and set them up as they need to to work in certain areas. Possible admiration for lots of the skills involved with being a respectable sniper among peers?

* Patience: Too many players like the run and gun aspect, go to an area for the kills. Not always so for mil-sim players, but snipers can and tend to be rather mil-sim in the way the act, techniques and skills, rather than being skirmishers for the most part. True?

Am taking some shots in the dark largely, based upon what I've seen and heard, and what my impression is of others when around me (many hope and say so that they don't want to be in my sights, yet it's funny, in my modest opinion, I haven't gotten a shitload of kills with my rifle, the whole thing with me is largely overinflated legend based upon exagerated stories, but still, I show up at a field and it makes some on the other team neervous, and others on my team gald they aren't on the other team. I just have to show up really. Oh ya, it tends to be newer palyers that are in awe and fear, vets tend to be "Ya, ok, big deal". which is fine by me, better for me for them to forget I'm there), I'd like to hear from others what their view of being around someone that is rather good at sniping, seeing their gear and not seeing them out there but hearing the shit snipers can stir up on their own.

Any takers?

Last edited by CDN_Stalker; May 28th, 2008 at 23:14..
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 23:20   #128
kalnaren

These are just my own opinions as I view them:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Stalker View Post
Seeing this word "Glorified" makes me think of a few things I'd like to bounce off you guys (gonna talk airsoft here):

* Snipers seem to be looked at in this way because of the confidence of doing their thing by themselves or with another, without being among a group or 6-12 guys for support. True?
Nope. Just a different way of playing the game. There are times when I quite enjoy working with a squad and when I quite enjoy sneaking around with one or two other people.

Quote:
* Snipers tend to work on, upgrade and tune their own guns, because a lot of the time it's the same thing as packing one's own parachute. Makes them much more in tune with the way their gun shoots, best ammo choices, etc. True?
True. I tend to look at most people who take the sniping role seriously as experts when it comes to working on airsoft guns, and will defer to them for upgrade/mod/troubleshooting advice.
Quote:
* Snipers make their own ghillies, and set them up as they need to to work in certain areas. Possible admiration for lots of the skills involved with being a respectable sniper among peers?
Partially. I think it takes a lot of patience to make a ghillie -I'd never do it, but on the other hand, that role isn't for me. IMO it's another aspect of the hobby. I would view someone who takes a lot of time to set up their tacvest perfectly and effectively in a similar way.
Quote:
* Patience: Too many players like the run and gun aspect, go to an area for the kills. Not always so for mil-sim players, but snipers can and tend to be rather mil-sim in the way the act, techniques and skills, rather than being skirmishers for the most part. True?
Not really. Again, it's just another way to play the game. If people love sneaking around, all the power to them. If people love running and gunning, same thing.
Quote:
Am taking some shots in the dark largely, based upon what I've seen and heard, and what my impression is of others when around me, I'd like to hear from others what their view of being around someone that is rather good at sniping, seeing their gear and not seeing them out there but hearing the shit snipers can stir up on their own.
Any takers?
I think I'd view anyone who is effective in their chosen role similarily. I think being a very good sniper/recon is probably a more difficult role than some of the others, but again, it's what you choose to do. I'd have more respect for a player who is very good at assaulting fixed positions over one that is mediocre as a sniper any day.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 23:24   #129
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Like you said, it's your opinions, that is all I asked for.
Old May 28th, 2008, 23:27   #130
TokyoSeven
Red Wine & Adderall

Why do I like to play the sniper role? Even though I rarely ever do, when I do I find it amusing to watch people from afar and touch myself while doing so.

"Its only a little bit on fire"
TokyoSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 23:32   #131
Hades

Send a message via MSN to Hades
It's amazing the relationship you can develop with someone through a high powered scope

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 23:42   #132
PvtSpartykus

Quote:
agreed.

Quote:
More than others? There are many things to adjust on any assault rilfe especially if you have under barrel attachments such an M203, master key, etc. which are not usually found on sniper calss rifles. I'm not sure I quite understand what it is you are trying to convey, would you mind clarifying your point so that my slowly processing insomniac brain can understand (yes, It's 5:00am here and Combine is fast asleep as I get the great satisfaction of yet another sleepless night).

Quote:
True, agreed and largly accurate.

Quote:
Am taking some shots in the dark largely, based upon what I've seen and heard, and what my impression is of others when around me (many hope and say so that they don't want to be in my sights, yet it's funny, in my modest opinion, I haven't gotten a shitload of kills with my rifle, the whole thing with me is largely overinflated legend based upon exagerated stories, but still, I show up at a field and it makes some on the other team neervous, and others on my team gald they aren't on the other team. I just have to show up really. Oh ya, it tends to be newer palyers that are in awe and fear, vets tend to be "Ya, ok, big deal". which is fine by me, better for me for them to forget I'm there), I'd like to hear from others what their view of being around someone that is rather good at sniping, seeing their gear and not seeing them out there but hearing the shit snipers can stir up on their own.
Oh, you edited this well was going to ask to clarify that statement but I guess there's no need .

Euh, Personally I don't have very much experience being around an experienced sniper in an Airsoft field. When I was an avidpaintball player, I use to play with a sniper on some PSI outdoor fields that was rather good. There were many times where had to pit my tippman 98 custom with stock and extended barrel against his modified rifle and most ofthe time would win when I got close enough to his location. Let me say that at first glance he didn't seem to bother me that much but, now, I look for snipers everytime I cycle covers. I especially hate fiel with hills. At PSI outdoor (located in Gatineau) there's a field called hamburger hill (named afer the real one). When he was at the top, it took me an average of 25-32 minutes to get to the top,as oppose to 7-15 minutes. When he was around I nver volunteered to be the V.I.P. Where as, usually I love being V.I.P because I like running aroundwith no gun.

Honeslty, I have yet to play with a sniper that I fear but I do know not to under estimate them. Then again, this sniper was not very accurate and he also had a paintball gun set to 220FPS, which is a joke really considering paintballs offer more wind resistance when traveling through an air medium and are heavier. You on the other hand, have a personalized, custom sniper capable of firing in the range of 400-450 Fps with 0.2g BBs that travel a fair distance. Let's just say tha I'd check the environning area with at least a 3X scope in all directions of interest thoroughly in order to minimize contact with you/your gun/your bullets. But we'll have to see when I get back from Norway and we get to play a real game together.

Oh, by the way, I've changed from echo1 to Ca for my G36K it'll cost me about 90$ more but I held the CAG36K at Wasteland (the store in Norway I forwarded you) and I realized that I couldn;t purchase a weapon with inferior finish to that of the CA model, it would be blasphemy!

Yours truely,

PvtSpartykus
Old May 28th, 2008, 23:50   #133
skalnok

Quote:
well ive only played one game with a "sniper" and throughout the day i was both on his team and against him.

i got to watch the accuracy of which he took out targets and be on the receiving end ( didnt hit me but scared the living shit out of me )

Sha Do, cheerful though you may be you scare me

off topic - CA g36ks do have a really really nice finish ( i just sold mine :'( )

Last edited by skalnok; May 28th, 2008 at 23:51.. Reason: off topic part
skalnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 23:54   #134
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

PvtSpartykus:

Regarding my mentioning the tuning of sniper rifles, let me try to explain:

A sniper has to choose his upgrades, sort out little issues with them, shoot it enough to see if a benefit or not, learn the 'new' personality of the gun after the new parts settle in. I know lots of guys "tweak" their AEGs with upgrades and such, but they don't have to largely deal with one shot 250ft away and possibly lose that target after they shoot, there are always quick follow up shots, something a sniper really doesn't have the luxury of enjoying. So one has to largely tune and LEARN for best effect, where AEG users largely will just tweak. I've waited upwards of a few mins between shots focusing on the right moment to loose my round, and I don't have the luxury of having two or three BBs in the air at the same time.

Better?
Old May 29th, 2008, 00:09   #135
The Lettonian
a.k.a. FNG_13

Send a message via Skype™ to The Lettonian
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Stalker View Post

Any takers?
All your "true?" statements are true.

My impression of snipers is largely influenced by our unit's marksman, callsign 47. Also known as Temple_47 on these forumes.

Now, 47 has always been a sneaky guy. When we trained at lunch in the woods behind our school (no weapons, just camo) to get a feel for squad movement and concealment, he always volounteered to be the "rabbit." He got a 30 sec headstart, then we came looking. We rarely found him before he'd "killed" most of the team. (by calling out "ok you're shot" when we got too close.) This one time he was about five feet away from me and I didn't see him. And that was just CADPAT, no ghillie. Maybe I suck as looking, but that can't be all of it. He's also killed from cover where no one knew where the hell he was till it was too late a few times. Most notably when I was looking for him and suddenly felt a BB hit my arm, and also when between the two of us we took out a 6 man squad. Pine stands FTW. So that's just concealement.

Accuracy, he's either the luckiest or most accurate guy I've ever meant. Seeing as how he was recommended for sniper school after qualifying expert with his C7, I think it's the latter. (That they gave him the C9 in the meantime is a source of confusion to me.) Sure he claims he got lucky the time he hooked a BB AROUND a tree, using the wind to hit the enemy CO in the side of the head from about 100ft away, but the 150ft shot on Relja was no fluke. I TOLD the bastard to get down when I heard the bolt on his M24 go back...

I will admit that I'm someone who looks up to those who have greater ability or experience than myself, and sometimes perceive things as being greater than they are. So take the above with a grain of salt. Either way, those are my experiences as I remember them, and I will always hold 47 in the highest regard because of it. He's a quality guy, a great player, and almost a squad unto himself. Stalker, if half the stuff that's concocted on this forum about you is true, you doubtless fall into a similar category. Noobs like looking up to mythical figures. People like you give us something to aspire to...even if alot of it is mired in myth.
|: Nos habebit humus! :|
Raug, draugi, kā šī kanna mirdz, kā puto alutiņš? Dievs zin, cik ilgi līksmo sirds, lai baudām drīz!
The Lettonian is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General