Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Using a plate carrier with custom-made plates as a form of protection from knives & needles?

:

Gear Discussion

Closed Thread

Old January 19th, 2016, 23:20   #1
Activist
Airsoft SJW - potential hazard on the streets beware......

Using a plate carrier with custom-made plates as a form of protection from knives & needles?

I live in a shady area of town and I walk to work (night shifts) and I've had three altercations with random people (either drunk or just looking to rob someone) and the most recent time this happened someone pulled a big kitchen knife out.. Ever since I've wondered if I could create some custom plates out of cutting boards or other material and insert it in a low-profile plate carrier and protect my body from knife attacks.

Does anyone have any input on this or attempted to do something similar? thanks!
Old January 19th, 2016, 23:25   #2
MultipleParadox

Might as well invest in actual plates maybe?
This is assuming you live in a province where they're legal for civilians to own

Otherwise, I don't know but I don't feel makeshift "plates" would be that great, although I guess it'd be better than nothing at all, *assuming * they don't restrict movements or slow you down; running is probably the best defense in those kind of situations

Or just go full medieval and go the chainmail! :P

GBBR- bang bang -- Giggle

AEG-- merrrzip merrzip -- meh
Old January 19th, 2016, 23:38   #3
Cliffradical
butthurt for not having a user title

No way. No no no.
You should be avoiding these people or running away. If you're close enough to need a stab vest, you're too close. A stab vest won't meaningfully protect you in any way that will help you if you're getting stabbed. It won't make you look tough or prepared. It won't make you look iLoKo!.
Get some decent running shoes and use them to propell yourself into fitness and away from danger.

If you absolutely must have something, buy a low profile stab vest. There are types made to be worn under normal clothing which are used by security personnel. You want something made to do the job you're using it for, or nothing at all.
That said, those things can be dangerous because they can provide a false sense of security. They will not help you in a fight. You'll get stabbed elsewhere, or between plates.
Getting poked means you're already fucked.
Old January 20th, 2016, 00:01   #4
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

There are specific vests called "stab vest" built exactly for that purpose, it's what RCMP and police usually have on.
Old January 20th, 2016, 01:04   #5
-=ArchAngel=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffradical View Post
No way. No no no.
You should be avoiding these people or running away. If you're close enough to need a stab vest, you're too close. A stab vest won't meaningfully protect you in any way that will help you if you're getting stabbed. It won't make you look tough or prepared. It won't make you look iLoKo!.
Get some decent running shoes and use them to propell yourself into fitness and away from danger.

If you absolutely must have something, buy a low profile stab vest. There are types made to be worn under normal clothing which are used by security personnel. You want something made to do the job you're using it for, or nothing at all.
That said, those things can be dangerous because they can provide a false sense of security. They will not help you in a fight. You'll get stabbed elsewhere, or between plates.
Getting poked means you're already fucked.
Good points on avoidance. However, that doesnt mean that he shouldnt wear one tho. Its just like cars and seatbelts. Sure i can drive safely and defensively, but its still a good idea to have a seat belt on for in case. It wont provide a false sense of security since i already know that although it can save my life, there are still many instances that it will not even matter. As long as Im aware of the limitations of my seatbelt, theres no reason why i cant try to drive safely AND wear a seat belt.
Old January 20th, 2016, 01:15   #6
Activist

you guys please stop insinuating I'm a TOTAL idiot who hasn't done ANY research.. The absolute CHEAPEST kevlar vest I could find was a level IIIA on kijiji for $205. All level I & II's are $250 +! I can get a plate carrier for $70 and the plates I would make are free.

This is just a pre-cautionary measure ya know? I WOULD run if I had to. But say I'm with my girl friend or someone else that can't defend themselves adequetly.. Say I have absolutely no choice but to defend myself or others because running isn't an option (e.g. leg injury, disabled friend, surrounded by a group etc) - I would like to be able to stop a slash and most especialy a syringe. I don't have the money to afford $250+ on a legitimate stab-proof vest and I'm not entirely sure it's necessarily worth it to begin with.. That's why with a $70 plate carrier and my own custom plates (that i would test vigorously) would be perfect.. I live in Saskatoon, SK and kevlar vests are legal to possess here, but it just doesn't seem worth it if the whole reason for me inquiring on this question to begin with was because I'm not in immediate danger; I'm not expecting danger; I'm simply wanting to be prepared in case.

As for "looking bad ass" that's not at all what i'm going for as I would want it to be concealable and I'd like for a hoodie to be able to conceal it and it's shape.

49 out of 50 times I walk home I have no issues whatsoever. But there's that slight chance that some hood rat could walk up with a pocket knife or a dirty syringe and put me in a position where I can't "just run.

Plus $250 is a lot more than $70. If I was a security guard and faced a potential threat at least once a week THEN I would invest in legitimate body armour.. But for the mean time...While I'm probably safe any how...I'd like to use a replica/airsoft plate carrier and turn it into a knife & needle proof vest.

My idea (for one of the two panels) was to take two bendable/thin hard-plastic cutting boards and place a thin layer of a ceramic cutting board (non flexible/solid-shaped) in between the two layers of the flexible cut-proof material. That way - it doesn't become too bulky nor does it have weak structural integrity. I've personally put one of these bendable cutting boards onto my carper and stabbed at it with my personal pocket defense-knife and i failed to pierce it. So I figure if I have two layers plus a solid & thin caramic cutting board in between the two pieces that i should be able to stop even the strongest man's attempt of stabbing me in the torso. I'm not sure how thick standard level II balistic plates are - but the design i have here is only about 2 and a half inches thick for the front plate and 2 inches thick for the back plate (back plate only has 1 piece of bendable cutting board rather than two...)

Again - the bottom line is: I don't feel it's worthwhile or even necessary to drop more than $100 on a defensive armour-vest if i can make an acceptable contraption on my own with just a replica carier
Old January 20th, 2016, 01:34   #7
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

First off, proper protection isn't cheap, just like proper anything. A plate carrier is not what you need, you need a high end stab vest, period bud. That being said, where do you live, Regina, Surrey? If you continually run into trouble, you are taking the wrong route or method home from work. If I had been in several altercations in an area, I wouldn't be walking my girlfriend through there.
Old January 20th, 2016, 01:54   #8
Activist

I live in Saskatoon and I walk down 19th st. (as to avoid 20th) or sometimes I'll take 22nd (which typically is high in traffic and pedestrians).

You bring up a completely valid argument: If you want to have a protective vest of armour then take it seriously and spend the amount required to acquire a quality & legitimate armour-vest if I may end up needing it to fend off attackers.

BUT are you really gonna tell me that my idea is COMPLETELY naive and that even if I take the time to make my custom plate(s) ergonomic, slim and durable to truly offer the same protection as legitimate kevlar vests that I'l never ascertain me objective? Are you telling me,
A) It's not worth it to try your own plate - even if you do extensive quality control testing.
B) The idea is naive and the objective is ignorant because nobody can be trusted to make their own protection-plates unless said-person is a professional?
C) It's not worth it to bother trying - regardless of how successful I conclude my plate(s) are that it's still not worth wearing because when it comes down to such a scenario - the best is the only option and home-made is completely irresponsible to wear for protection
D) All of the above
[E) None of the above]
?

Like are you just advising me against the idea because you don't feel comfortable suggesting that this idea may work? Are you telling me that even if I experimented and played around to see if it could be done that it's not worth it? Are you saying that the idea is worth attempting but until you see the outcome/research of the idea that you feel I shouldn't wear it until I make a thread in the future where I either prove or disprove my idea?

Last edited by Activist; January 20th, 2016 at 01:58..
Old January 20th, 2016, 02:02   #9
AXe Hound

I would use this http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_inf...ducts_id=16514
one of the smallest low profile carriers you can buy on the cheap.
Old January 20th, 2016, 02:05   #10
Handsonic
"I like syrup on my blue waffles." #diseasedvagina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activist View Post
I live in Saskatoon and I walk down 19th st. (as to avoid 20th) or sometimes I'll take 22nd (which typically is high in traffic and pedestrians).

You bring up a completely valid argument: If you want to have a protective vest of armour then take it seriously and spend the amount required to acquire a quality & legitimate armour-vest if I may end up needing it to fend off attackers.

BUT are you really gonna tell me that my idea is COMPLETELY naive and that even if I take the time to make my custom plate(s) ergonomic, slim and durable to truly offer the same protection as legitimate kevlar vests that I'l never ascertain me objective? Are you telling me,
A) It's not worth it to try your own plate - even if you do extensive quality control testing.
B) The idea is naive and the objective is ignorant because nobody can be trusted to make their own protection-plates unless said-person is a professional?
C) It's not worth it to bother trying - regardless of how successful I conclude my plate(s) are that it's still not worth wearing because when it comes down to such a scenario - the best is the only option and home-made is completely irresponsible to wear for protection
D) All of the above
[E) None of the above]
?

Like are you just advising me against the idea because you don't feel comfortable suggesting that this idea may work? Are you telling me that even if I experimented and played around to see if it could be done that it's not worth it? Are you saying that the idea is worth attempting but until you see the outcome/research of the idea that you feel I shouldn't wear it until I make a thread in the future where I either prove or disprove my idea?
If you can make EFFECTIVE stab-proof plates for free, you should BECOME a professional and own the stab-vest market.
Old January 20th, 2016, 02:09   #11
Activist

My current top three picks are

1) ^^^ posted above by aXe Hound @ airsoftgi.com
2)http://store.specwarfare.com/en/emer...-easy-style-bk
3) http://store.specwarfare.com/en/emer...ate-carrier-cb
Old January 20th, 2016, 02:10   #12
Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsonic View Post
If you can make EFFECTIVE stab-proof plates for free, you should BECOME a professional and own the stab-vest market.
Well then I will definitely make a thread to inform people of how it goes once I begin the endeavor.
Old January 20th, 2016, 05:33   #13
supahtim

You are asking for quite a lot here. Advice given to you from any of us that resulted in injury or death would or could leave the advisor liable.

That being said, $100 is worth saving your life, but $250 isn't? Gotta do what most of us do to get that VFC or whatever else. Save up.
Old January 20th, 2016, 05:47   #14
-=ArchAngel=-

I would recommend saving up and getting the real deal. But if you're dead set on diy, what you're looking for probably lies in a Google or Youtube search

Last edited by -=ArchAngel=-; January 20th, 2016 at 05:56..
Old January 20th, 2016, 08:16   #15
Cliffradical
butthurt for not having a user title

Are you trolling? It's an unbelievably bad idea.
And I don't mean a kevlar vest, I mean a stab vest. The kind you'll actually have to go to the right store to buy. Yes it will be expensive. No, it won't be too expensive if it's something you really need.

How old are you?
Putting some cutting boards in an airsoft plate carrier so you can stand up to bad guys and protect your mom or girlfriend is so delusional that I am actually concerned. Please take a step back and reevaluate your motives and plans.
You will hurt yourself and possibly others if you do this. Bast case scenario is you look like a fantastic turbo-dork.
Closed ThreadTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion