Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Radios and You

:

Gear Discussion

Old January 28th, 2015, 00:15   #76
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

Typically no, but I'm not sure 'overpower' means what you think it means. please elaborate.

Keep in mind,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrajr122 View Post
Some people believe that some interference they get is simply from the power level of near by transmitters on different frequencies. I have tested this with up to 70W on adjacent channels with a few different receiving radios (2 types of blister pack, a Puxing 888, and a Motorola XTS2500), none of them receive any interference. So, these guys either have REALLY, REALLY shitty radios, or they were experiencing interference due to the bandwidth issues as described in this section below, which is far more likely.
Cobrajr122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 00:48   #77
GR

I saw the term being used in one of the tutorials I watched, as well as in a small PDF explaining GMRS and FRS. I would guess it means that if there's a secondary transmission on a certain frequency with the same PL Tone, that the radio with more power (i.e. 5W) would interrupt transmission of the previous one.

...or maybe I just don't completely understand how this works.

The context to the question is that I am wondering if I have to use 2W or 5W setting in order to communicate with blister packs, or the better power setting in general (since apparently, 5W transmitters are illegal for public in Canada).
GR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2015, 10:49   #78
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Power setting would just change the distance you can successfully transmit at. Good 2W or 4/5W radios will be able to transmit at much higher distances than blister pack radios can. Doesn't change the "receive" distance of course, because that depends on the sender's transmitting power.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 07:15   #79
WPJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR View Post
I saw the term being used in one of the tutorials I watched, as well as in a small PDF explaining GMRS and FRS. I would guess it means that if there's a secondary transmission on a certain frequency with the same PL Tone, that the radio with more power (i.e. 5W) would interrupt transmission of the previous one.

...or maybe I just don't completely understand how this works.

The context to the question is that I am wondering if I have to use 2W or 5W setting in order to communicate with blister packs, or the better power setting in general (since apparently, 5W transmitters are illegal for public in Canada).
This would happen even if the tones were different. PL tone is not a secret Chanel or security it only tells your radio when to turn the speaker on.

What your describing if I understand it is.

Team A radio on channel A, PL A
Team B radio on channel A, PL F

If either team A or B are transmitting and receiving clearly then team B transmits one of two two things happen. Either one of the teams radios over power the other transmission or what typically happens is they mess both transmissions up by QRF, or talk over.

PL tones are only a way to break squelch and not sub channel security of any means.
WPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 10:17   #80
BattleBorn

Just looking at reviving this thread with a question to everyone here who uses comms equipment in milsim events.

So what would be the best radio that is the most compatible with the majority of the players out there? I was leaning to a TRI Harris PRC-152 as I have a decent knowledge of them and a lot of experience usin em, BUT they are bloody pricey!

I'm looking for a comms suite that can include a Comtac 111 AHP headset and a good PTT switch (something like the TRI RACAL PTT)?
BattleBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 11:14   #81
FirestormX

A puxing 777 or 888 is all you really need for airsoft. They're already put out more watts than you're allowed to without a license.
FirestormX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 14:07   #82
Six By Ten
2tall2brawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
Just looking at reviving this thread with a question to everyone here who uses comms equipment in milsim events.

So what would be the best radio that is the most compatible with the majority of the players out there? I was leaning to a TRI Harris PRC-152 as I have a decent knowledge of them and a lot of experience usin em, BUT they are bloody pricey!

I'm looking for a comms suite that can include a Comtac 111 AHP headset and a good PTT switch (something like the TRI RACAL PTT)?
Security/LE type radios such as the Motorola XTS 1500 are a nice step up from what most airsofters are using. Puxing and Wouxun radios are the norm for most milsim events. As long as you are able to use UHF frequencies that standard civilian FRS and GMRS radios use you will be good to go. TRI Harris radio are nice, but there are other options out there that can set you up just as well for functionality.

With real headsets and China made radios the issue commonly experienced is matching impedence and having the correct connections for the downleads. If you're looking for a quality setup, SRS Tactical in Calgary does top notch work in terms of setting up your headset to work with the radio of your choice.

Aside from reliability the biggest thing to have besides the working setup is sufficient batteries to last longer games, particularly in cold weather. In addition to rechargeable batteries, having a AA battery adapter for your radio is worthwhile. If your radio is the same brand/model as the guys you usually play with, even better.

I've probably spent as much or more on comms for airsoft as I have on guns, if milsim games are up your alley, it's an important part of the game.

Also, I sent you a PM yesterday, have a look at it when you can.
Six By Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 14:29   #83
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

Like others said, a puxing 888k/888/777, wouxun equivalents are the norm. They are excellent radios that do the job well.

I personally run an XTS2500 paired with a set of real MSA Sordins and a real nexus U94 PTT that were modified by SRS tactical to work with the XTS2500 + a TCI MAST kit.

Expensive high grade radios are definitely NOT needed. Start out with a puxing/wouxun and a good headset/ptt and see where you go from there.

Beyond a good headset and PTT, the best upgrade you can do is a longer antenna, or relocating the antenna to get it up above your shoulders. This will do wonders for you.
Old February 12th, 2015, 17:13   #84
BattleBorn

I'll have a look at these puxing and wouxun fellas. IYO what would be the best for clarity and features? The price point isn't too big of a deal, i'd rather get the right product the first time than having to go out and get something else later on!
BattleBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 20:59   #85
Ecks

Ok. So now I can say that I am a bit overwhelmed. I thought military comms was tricky. This is just a bit boggling to me. I was a meat head, not a Jimmy. When I joined comms were kind of simple then they lost me.
Ecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 21:19   #86
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

-Always state your name first
-Have an idea of where you are BEFORE transmitting
-Keep a who, what, where idea of what you're talking about (I don't need to know WHY half of bravo is eating lunch at their FOB, I just need to know half of them are eating lunch at their FOB.
-Keep transmissions under 10 seconds
-Imagine the other party listening to you is extremely pissed off and not at all in the mood for any mindless rhetoric

That's pretty well the airsoft basics.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 23:04   #87
Ecks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
-Always state your name first
-Have an idea of where you are BEFORE transmitting
-Keep a who, what, where idea of what you're talking about (I don't need to know WHY half of bravo is eating lunch at their FOB, I just need to know half of them are eating lunch at their FOB.
-Keep transmissions under 10 seconds
-Imagine the other party listening to you is extremely pissed off and not at all in the mood for any mindless rhetoric

That's pretty well the airsoft basics.
This part of military comms I get. I'm actually quite good at it! It's all the technical craps that I don't! All I want is for my radio to work. I want to be able to reach c/s 0 when I need to reach c/s 0.

I hope these radios are better than army ones!

I have a radio it has 31 freakin channels! What frequencies should I set to start with?
Ecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 03:21   #88
Red Dot
Google level: BOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
I'll have a look at these puxing and wouxun fellas. IYO what would be the best for clarity and features? The price point isn't too big of a deal, i'd rather get the right product the first time than having to go out and get something else later on!
I'm late to the party on this one but I HIGHLY recommend the Puxing 888K. The ability to change channels just rotating a top dial with voice ID for what channel you're on is legendary. Easy to add a channel and one battery lasted me 18 hours still showing 75% of it's capacity. Super happy with it, I only have scratched the surface of what it can do.
Red Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 15:59   #89
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecks View Post
This part of military comms I get. I'm actually quite good at it! It's all the technical craps that I don't! All I want is for my radio to work. I want to be able to reach c/s 0 when I need to reach c/s 0.

I have a radio it has 31 freakin channels! What frequencies should I set to start with?
We were sick of that bullshit too.
frequency base UHF radios, constantly looking up channel frequencies and have to change them 4 fucking times before the game starts.
so we upgraded to wouxun uvd1p radios (baofengs are programmable too), and cloned every radio with the same program across all the teams we usually work with.
Everyone has the same channels; FRS 1-12, a few GMRS channels, and 4 special out of range frequencies for privacy.
very few radio issues now that everyone has the same program, makes things much easier.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 16:21   #90
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
and 4 special out of range frequencies for privacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecks View Post

What radio is it?

Also, the issued radios are just fine! Peoples expectations of them are just crazy though, especially when they abuse the fuck out of the antennas and run low batteries forever.

Stop breaking them though, that is an issue...

Last edited by Cobrajr122; June 19th, 2015 at 16:26..
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion