Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Age Verification Options

:

General

Old January 24th, 2008, 11:19   #91
BloodSport
Traveling Man

Considering I've sent many a people to Lego.com in the past its nothing new, some actually enjoyed their visits there.

Hell some of the games on that site are actually fun, I play them now and then myself.

rustysdream, hope you enjoyed your visit. The clues people gave you didn't sink in.
Old January 24th, 2008, 11:57   #92
Aquamarine
PanSexual

Send a message via MSN to Aquamarine Send a message via Yahoo to Aquamarine Send a message via Skype™ to Aquamarine
sorry fellas but there is no way that this retard is over 16. No chance in he'll. If this is the kind of shit that he stays involved with and if he isn't mature enough to let it go then there is no reason to let him become involved with airsoft.

If he is indeed the age he said he was then he is that typical childish know-it-all guy you see at the shooting range: his wife left him for acting like a child, and all he has left are his guns and gun buddies. What a pitiful way to end a life.

Last edited by Aquamarine; January 24th, 2008 at 11:59..
Aquamarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:01   #93
super_six_four

Send a message via MSN to super_six_four
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustysdream View Post
Jimski,

Do yourself a favor and scroll back. "Who gives a shit" comes from him first.
super_six_four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:20   #94
Danke

Holy Sh!t I found his picture in the paper,

http://www.theonion.com/content/opin..._own_a_gun_for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamarine View Post
sorry fellas but there is no way that this retard is over 16. No chance in he'll. If this is the kind of shit that he stays involved with and if he isn't mature enough to let it go then there is no reason to let him become involved with airsoft.

If he is indeed the age he said he was then he is that typical childish know-it-all guy you see at the shooting range: his wife left him for acting like a child, and all he has left are his guns and gun buddies. What a pitiful way to end a life.
Danke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:48   #95
fireman182

Ironic that so many "age verified" users in the ASC community display the maturity level of a 12 year old on these boards.

Considering this is a starting point for new users entering the sport, it doesnt do much for growth and positive image.

I put forth the idea of a new system. MATURE age verified, and IMMATURE age verified. OR can we raise the bar to US drinking age? haha

Not pointing the finger at anyone, just a view from a casual user.
fireman182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:51   #96
Danke

It's not irony.

If you kick a dog enough times it'll bite you.
Old January 24th, 2008, 13:11   #97
kalnaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchmeister View Post
Well, there's a big difference between "sporting arms" in the sense of hunting and target shooting (either competitive or recreational) than playing airsoft. Airsoft is not about shooting. It's about wargaming and having all-out military simulations with airsoft guns. While marksmanship is certainly a crucial aspect of it, it's a very different sport than what you refer to. Being a good shot is only a very small part of this game.

Hopefully you can understand why as a community, we don't want to attract public or police scrutiny for what we do. Because of the nature of this sport, it quickly attracts very negative publicity from outcries that we're militants, glorifying gun violence, desinsitizing kids to gun violence, etc. It happened back in the day with paintball when it used to be very much like airsoft. Paintball had to change drastically in order to be allowed to continue. And it's turned into a joke now and geared at kids.

As it stands, the majority of the public out there really have no opinion on airsoft one way or another. Some know it exists and don't care, some don't know at all. However, it takes very little noise from the nay-sayers to demonize us and what we do and turn public opinion against us. As it stands, we have little attention on us and that's a good thing. While what we do is not illegal, the tools we use to do it with are illegal by some laws, and aren't by others. We are basically allowed to exist because of loopholes and vague areas in the law. It's a very fine balance, and it doesn't take much to upset that.

To attract attention to ourselves from the general public, particularly from dwellers in major urban centres where people live in constant fear of perceived gun violence (often overhyped by the media and special interest groups) is asking for trouble. They prefer eradication of what they perceive to be the problem (all guns, airsoft included) rather than the control of it. If this happens, we (the responsible airsoft gun owners who play the game) end up getting perceived as militant gun nuts from all the soccer moms and social do-gooders and end up paying for the problems of society that we have no part in by being forced to give up our guns and our sport.

And unfortunately, these urban dwellers are the majority of Canadians, or close to it. Even if just a a few small groups within this population of urbanites see us as a problem, you can bet they will lobby their local politicians law enforcement on all levels to put a stop to what we do. We just barely have a toehold in legality as it is. To draw too much attention to us and our sport is not a good thing. It's much too easy for legislators to just eliminate these loopholes we exist in than it is to rewrite existing laws to allow us - a very small minority of Canadians to continue with what we do. It's true that the 'squeaky wheel gets the grease'. And these small groups of individuals squeak just loud enough to the right politicians, then we're done

And of course, there's the police issue which is not a good thing to bring up. Airsoft is in a grey enough area that police don't hunt down and prosecute airsoft gun owners unless they use their airsoft guns for criminal purposes. They know we exist, and allow us to do so because we aren't a priority or a problem. They don't raid known airsoft events to seize guns, etc. Technically, they could, since airsoft guns are technically classified as replicas (by some laws, but not others), and replicas have been illegal to accquire (but not own) since Dec 1, 1998.

Unless one could prove that they've owned their guns prior to that date, then the police would have every right to seize them, and possibly lay charges. Whether or not the charges would stick and stand up in court or be thrown out and the guns returned is a gamble. But technically, the police COULD do that if there was enough public pressure put on them to do it.

When you know you COULD get bitten by an animal, it's usually best to avoid contact with that animal as much as possible. The same can be said about officially involving police and public scrutiny in any matters regarding airsoft.
I honestly think this post should be stickied somewhere. This is probably the most straight forward and concise overview of airsoft in Canada on thsi forum. Heck, some good should come out this thread.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 13:22   #98
TokyoSeven
Red Wine & Adderall

I happen to like lego.com, did you guys know that theres now batman and indiana jones themed lego?

"Its only a little bit on fire"
TokyoSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 14:07   #99
Cassius

I love legos.

I have the big Technics tow truck and I wanna buy the BMW Williams F1 as well as some Star Wars legos
Old January 24th, 2008, 14:10   #100
kalnaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
I love legos.
+1. I'm currently developing a rather complex SF boardgame where all of the starship models were made out of lego using LDRAW.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 14:26   #101
TokyoSeven
Red Wine & Adderall

For a while I was building a zombie boardgame using lego... but its sorta been stashed away in a storage room for now.

"Its only a little bit on fire"
TokyoSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 14:58   #102
Crunchmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
I honestly think this post should be stickied somewhere. This is probably the most straight forward and concise overview of airsoft in Canada on thsi forum. Heck, some good should come out this thread.
Thank you. I'm glad that I'm on the right track with this. But I don't take credit for the information. It's basically just a collection of all I've read here on ASC in the last 3 months and how I've interpreted it and understand it. I'm still a noob, but at least I think I'm on the right track to becoming an informed one.
Old January 24th, 2008, 15:48   #103
Aquamarine
PanSexual

Send a message via MSN to Aquamarine Send a message via Yahoo to Aquamarine Send a message via Skype™ to Aquamarine
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman182 View Post
Ironic that so many "age verified" users in the ASC community display the maturity level of a 12 year old on these boards.

Considering this is a starting point for new users entering the sport, it doesnt do much for growth and positive image.

I put forth the idea of a new system. MATURE age verified, and IMMATURE age verified. OR can we raise the bar to US drinking age? haha

Not pointing the finger at anyone, just a view from a casual user.
Not to worry, if people cross lines and fuck around too much, their age verification is revoked.
Old January 24th, 2008, 16:04   #104
digital_blue

I actually think this guy is over 18. Google his user name, he's on some ATV forums. This also brings us to a sad realization, some adults are just as retarded as kids...
digital_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 16:10   #105
Danke

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_blue View Post
I actually think this guy is over 18. Google his user name, he's on some ATV forums. This also brings us to a sad realization, some adults are just as retarded as kids...
I wonder if he's related to my cousin, Rustybedsprings?
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General