Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

CO2 cartriage powered artilery... check post 26

:

General

Old October 2nd, 2006, 10:59   #46
Greenwolf
Talraga

Send a message via MSN to Greenwolf
your mortar Idea is all fine and dandy, Greylocks, but where's the fun in that? It's essentially a big shot shell. It's more realistic and interesting to have a single shot round that has a "splash damage" effect on impact. Besides, half this project is simply experimenting to see what we can do in direct and indirect fire models. Indirect fire is harder to do, sure, but would lead to some interesting matches if you could have fixed position arty...

Even if we don't get it working as an arty piece it will certainly make a unique big gun, especially with Grave's new shell idea. It might make a good vehicle mounted weapon (again, see my Airsoft Tank thread). If not it certainly could spice things up in a match.

Before you say it: IF we get it to work, and IF it is safe. Can we please get back on topic about how we might be able to do that? I'd appreciate the feedback.

P.S. thanks Grey for the mortar design, I think I'll build one just for kicks... it certainly would make a good close indirect fire support weapon.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 11:51   #47
MadMax
Delierious Designer of Dastardly Detonations

Location: in the dark recesses of some metal chip filled machine shop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talraga
From the wiki article:

"As water rockets are capable of breaking bones upon impact, they should never be fired at people or animals."
I know you said indirect fire but you gotta count in accidents

"Water rockets should only be launched in large open areas, away from structures or other people, in order to prevent damage to property and people."
Ours can in theory be used anywhere.

"A typical two-liter soda bottle can generally reach the pressure of 100 PSI safely, but preparations are made for the eventuality that the bottle ruptures."
No thank you, I'd rather not that explode in my face.

"While pressurizing and launching the rocket, bystanders are kept at a safe distance. Typically, mechanisms for releasing the rocket at a distance (with a piece of string, for example) are used. This ensures that if the rocket veers off in an unexpected direction, it is less likely to hit the operator or bystanders."
Again, ours can in theory be used in proximity to people without harm. A 12 gram Co2 cartridge exploding is bad, but it would be contained by the barrel for the most part. A 2 liter water rocket explodes...

On the other hand... that Aerial Photgraphy idea might come in handy as a recon device, especially if you can somehow get a remote feed off the camera.
You're reading a little too far into the extreme end of water rocketry. Hasn't anyone ever played with the small sub 250mL rockets from hobby stores and science shops?

Launching a 2L rocket into someones ribcage will definitely cause some serious pain. The small 250mL-500mL prefab toy ones are pretty harmless. The greatest danger they present is knocking off someone's goggles with directed fire. On the way down they're pretty light.

If you're worried about the direct fire problem then just give up on the quest for a rocket altogether and go nerf. There is a difficult tradeoff between efficacy and direct hit safety. Other than nerf it's pretty much impossible to shoot a rocket like projectile for a reasonable range and not be a goggle knocker.

MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 14:57   #48
Greenwolf
Talraga

Send a message via MSN to Greenwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Quote:
From the wiki article:

"As water rockets are capable of breaking bones upon impact, they should never be fired at people or animals."
I know you said indirect fire but you gotta count in accidents

"Water rockets should only be launched in large open areas, away from structures or other people, in order to prevent damage to property and people."
Ours can in theory be used anywhere.

"A typical two-liter soda bottle can generally reach the pressure of 100 PSI safely, but preparations are made for the eventuality that the bottle ruptures."
No thank you, I'd rather not that explode in my face.

"While pressurizing and launching the rocket, bystanders are kept at a safe distance. Typically, mechanisms for releasing the rocket at a distance (with a piece of string, for example) are used. This ensures that if the rocket veers off in an unexpected direction, it is less likely to hit the operator or bystanders."
Again, ours can in theory be used in proximity to people without harm. A 12 gram Co2 cartridge exploding is bad, but it would be contained by the barrel for the most part. A 2 liter water rocket explodes...

On the other hand... that Aerial Photgraphy idea might come in handy as a recon device, especially if you can somehow get a remote feed off the camera.
You're reading a little too far into the extreme end of water rocketry. Hasn't anyone ever played with the small sub 250mL rockets from hobby stores and science shops?

Launching a 2L rocket into someones ribcage will definitely cause some serious pain. The small 250mL-500mL prefab toy ones are pretty harmless. The greatest danger they present is knocking off someone's goggles with directed fire. On the way down they're pretty light.

If you're worried about the direct fire problem then just give up on the quest for a rocket altogether and go nerf. There is a difficult tradeoff between efficacy and direct hit safety. Other than nerf it's pretty much impossible to shoot a rocket like projectile for a reasonable range and not be a goggle knocker.
Please read the thread... We already went Nerf with Grave's new shell idea.

P.S. he doesn't know how to re-name the thread, could somone help (he's reading over my shoulder and bugging me... please make him stop :rrr: )
Old October 2nd, 2006, 16:27   #49
sirex

lol

I got a couple of rocket cartridges sitting around. The stuff you put under them model rockets and set with an electrical charge..

Man one time I took one of those things appart, and got all the black power into a bowl and lit on fire. It was cool. You might want to attach something like to your rocket for ultimate distance. Im sure u can devise a way of cutting the full pack to about 1/4 or 1/8 the size to give u a long enough burn to get some distance, and not enough of a burn to end up launching it for over a km.

The best is launching them cigar tubes.. When I was younger an older family friend use to launch them all the time. MAn those things were dangerous.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 16:40   #50
made Man

Send a message via ICQ to made Man
Quote:
instead of stooping to insults and questioning our inteligence for not wanting to play wth [B
explosive[/B] propellant.
What do you use to fire you GBBs if you have any? :cheers:

I took an open discharge of that "explosive" propellant almost head on (no end cap, full up the chamber, make the spark while looking inside) with no eye or any other protection.
It is not "explosive". Stop being such a safety nazi, or do you play with full paintball masks too with 280fps limis?
You dont choose who you love, love chooses you; and that little fucking son of a bitch sticks itself to your face like the godless bloodsucking bastards in Alien and refuses to let go until it has drained your soul and left you an empty shell of a human being.

I am worth $2,106,266.00 on HumanForSale.com

<axel026> i need help please
<^cell^> do you have an appointment?
<axel026> im french
<^cell^> i see... thats a terrible disorder
made Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 17:26   #51
Ibby

Send a message via ICQ to Ibby
Quote:
your mortar Idea is all fine and dandy, Greylocks, but where's the fun in that? It's essentially a big shot shell. It's more realistic and interesting to have a single shot round that has a "splash damage" effect on impact.
Greylocks idea is a GREAT basis for experimenting with. The spring idea is awesome, no heavy propellant canister falling on your head. You could fab up a firing mechanism that would let you fire it with the spring at different tensions. You could also fab up the firing mechanism to be a very close approximation of a real one.
As for the shot shell effect, you could envelope the BB's in some sort of sabot enclosure to have a more direct fire effect. And being spring loaded, you can experiment with this to your heart's content without needing $$$ for CO2 or other propellants.
Go. Have fun. Experiment...
Ibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 18:32   #52
Greylocks

The spring mortar is dirt simple, dirt cheap, and there is NOTHING illegal or unsafe about it since nothing comes out except an arcing cloud of BB.

No gas, no explosives or anything that can explode, no heat, no fire. 100% re-useable.

If you want more power, experiment with better springs, or a longer tube, or a canister that would contain more ammo.

A film can contains about 300 BBs. (My memory fails, but it's at least 150)
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 16:13   #53
Grave
ok greylocks nice idea but not very good for range... we want something that will fire at really long ranges
Old October 3rd, 2006, 17:11   #54
Ibby

Send a message via ICQ to Ibby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grave
ok greylocks nice idea but not very good for range... we want something that will fire at really long ranges
Depends on the spring. You could send these babies in an appropriate package a fair distance. Besides, in airsoft you pretty much need to see your target. I doubt anyone will devise a way of safely delivering a bunch of BB's into the grid square beside you. It's just not possible.
Ibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 17:17   #55
Daes

Dammit, why use CO2 capsules when a compressed air or a 20oz tube fed CO2 canister works better.

The following is a very SIMPLE, CHEAP, and EFFECTIVE cannon. You can add a body cover to make it look more realistic and it has an electrical firing system. No battery plugged in = no accidental firing. The cannon has an effective range of 100-200 feet, leaving a large surface area covered in 500-900 peas. Yes peas, they are round and similar to BB's but at 1/30th the cost. The peas can be loaded into premade shells and the air supply can be quickly refilled using a regulated CO2 canister (or an electric tire pump if CO2 is difficult to obtain).

That is right, this offers:
-Preloaded shells (use plastic bag sabbots withing plastic shells to hold bb's in, CHEAP (about $4 a shell))
-150-200 feet range with a 30 feet diameter cover
-Electrical firing system, use your AEG battery to fire, or use a custom built switch
-Cheap to fire, fast to refill if using CO2
-About 30sec delay between shots, faster with training
-Safe to use on people (see video)

Video One: Long shoot, shooting the fellow wearing white shorts standing in field.

Video Two: Demonstrating safety, no damage done at 15 feet range.

-Daes

Daes is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General