Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Real names on the forum?

:

General

View Poll Results: Would you like to see real names used on this forum?
Definitely. Being anonymous doesn't help the community - we should be using real names. 29 7.97%
Yes, but only show it in my profile, or under my username - I want to keep my callsign! 105 28.85%
Yes, but only as an option - I'll post my real name if I feel comfortable sharing it publicly. 106 29.12%
Not really, but I'd go along with it. 32 8.79%
No, definitely not. 51 14.01%
Yes, but only my first name and initial of my last 41 11.26%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 14th, 2006, 10:24   #46
ToRN

Send a message via AIM to ToRN Send a message via MSN to ToRN Send a message via Skype™ to ToRN
I already sign my first name (Nic) to about 1/2 my posts here, so I fully support the real names under the callsigns thing. I also agree that it should be kept to first names, and user-selectable, as in, you're choice to put it there or not.

Also, if a mod/admin feels the need, they can replace that tag with the one that the person has rightly deserved.
Give your head a shake, man. You don't jump out of a shaky car so you can ride in one that's on fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff_Man_in_CADPATs
I also noticed for the first time that Bod sounds a lot like Jango Fett.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
I like the part where he got banned.
Old May 14th, 2006, 10:24   #47
SINN

Send a message via MSN to SINN
Don't forget fun things like applying for a job and your new potential company/client googles your name. Nothing like being cross referenced to tons of threads about shooting people.
Old May 14th, 2006, 12:16   #48
Gerkraz

What we do here and what we do in the sport is neither illegal, nor is it morally reprehensible.

If people discriminate because of your hobbies then you bring it up with them, because it is unfair.

If people want to associate Philippe Enguehard with Airsoft, then I say go fo it, because this isn't an underground movement and I'm not ashamed of being a player, not would I keep it secret from anyone.
Old May 14th, 2006, 22:42   #49
Oz

Send a message via MSN to Oz
Sorry guys, I dont walk around town with a name tag on (ok, maby at games, but even that is a call sign or last name on a pack). Maby Im just old school, but if I want somebody knowing my name I'll introduce myself...
Old May 14th, 2006, 23:50   #50
Drake
E-01

I voted dead against, and the reason why is because these forums are available for browsing to the public AND also spidered/archived various bots (Googling for "Drake airsoft" goes straight to my ASC profile on the first hit.) I have an uncommon last name, and I do have potential/clients looking up my name for work, etc., and this is not something I suddenly want to have to explain to a client (and potentially something that could cost me work).

And FF brought up a valid point, too.

Plus there's nothing stopping someone from registering with a fake name, and then posting something stupid. It's not the age-verified people making the stupid posts.

Plus wouldn't be legalities about that for the under 18 people?
Old May 15th, 2006, 00:14   #51
Black_Orchid

I think it would be fine if it's optional and displayed in profiles only. If you just put your first name, there shouldn't be any way for someone to track you...unless you have an insanely unique name and live in a small town or something.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Mark Twain
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:00   #52
Vladthecossack

Well, I only ever grew up being called stupid, so I guess it doesn't matter much to me.
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:55   #53
foxtail

Send a message via MSN to foxtail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake
Plus there's nothing stopping someone from registering with a fake name, and then posting something stupid. It's not the age-verified people making the stupid posts.

Plus wouldn't be legalities about that for the under 18 people?

Sounds like a shit load of more fucking red tape. What do you want next our DNA. How about I shit in a bucket and send it to you. Then you can make a clone.

Yes I am sounding bad right now because this is sounding more and more like the fucking politics of today and airsoft has enough politics as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
Wild idea: read the manual. Yes - Tokyo Marui manuals contain good information.

Despite being 50% in Japanese, the other 50% is still in English and covers important information regarding the operation and functions of your airsoft gun.
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:25   #54
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon
I'm not comfortable giving out my personal info except to those I do business with. I certainly don't think this should be mandatory at all. If it goes that way, my name is John Doe. Or Joe Smith. Take your pick.

I get dibs on James Bond!
I got dibs on either "Jean Guy Rubber Butt" or "Hu Flung Poo". :salute:
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:41   #55
Dracheous
Lego Head

Look it, there shouldn't be an issue of wether or not people should have to or not use their real name publicly on ASC. There is the option right now for people to have it there or not and thats a good thing. Why? Because there is this nifty little site called canada411.com where you could get phone numbers and all that off of names and general location. Why's that a bad thing? Say you have a feild and a bunch of noob underaged kids start calling you at outrageous hours in the night because they don't understand time zones for instance, is that point across already?

Another thing is that, with the issue on sales, people need to start to learn to remove themselves from world of Airsoft when entering the world of marketing. When your in the professional world of marketing where you buy, sell or trade items of value, one should use a more apporpriate professional name for this. So if you into a deal that is going through there is no harm in saying "Ma name is Bubba and you can get a hold of me here! or there or where ever the fuck I happen to let you know..."...

If people want to put their names under their callsign, cool. Personally I think of that CIA black list that matches up codenames to real names and how HIGHLY top secret that shits supposed to be? Well, what happens when we start waving our lil "top secret" black list around? ((If no one picks up on the sarcasm here... go to hell))
Old May 15th, 2006, 13:36   #56
ToRN

Send a message via AIM to ToRN Send a message via MSN to ToRN Send a message via Skype™ to ToRN
not a problem for people like me who have an unlisted or cell phone number.
Give your head a shake, man. You don't jump out of a shaky car so you can ride in one that's on fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff_Man_in_CADPATs
I also noticed for the first time that Bod sounds a lot like Jango Fett.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
I like the part where he got banned.
Old May 15th, 2006, 17:56   #57
Wolfgang

Send a message via MSN to Wolfgang
I don't want to make my name public.
I'll give my name to those I do business with and thats it.
Old May 15th, 2006, 18:03   #58
BC_K
Banned

I like the idea, but dislike it at the same time.

In a way ya it brings us all "closer together" if you will, tho I honestly feel, unless your a local player I associate with or I'm doing buy/sell/ect with you, you have no need to know whom I am, nor do I need to know who are you.

I'm sure there's a fair handful of people on here that share my view.
Old May 15th, 2006, 18:14   #59
gandar

Send a message via MSN to gandar
I think at the very most it should be first name, last initial under your S/N, or just your first name or something, but nothing more than that, there's no reason for people on here to know my first and last name. And as some people have already mentioned, I always sign my PMs with my first name anyway.

It's a good theory, but I don't think it should, or would fly. Besides, with a community this big, there're lots of repeats of names (like the Sean calculation), so having names on here would be a bit of an issue.

Besides, half the fun of this whole thing is having a 'callsign' and being some weekend warrior.... Like someone else mentioned, scammers will still scam, so I don't think it'll get rid of that either.

Alternatively, I could just light you on fire. - Me
Old May 15th, 2006, 18:23   #60
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

It's a tough call...

But here is my perception.

I have belonged to other forums where Alias and Nicks are used... and it had a lot of the characteristics of this forum at times.. Flaming, insulting. bad deals... all of it..

Then it went to a real names only policy.. not all of the BS stopped but about 80% did. people were much more respectful, the mean age of forum members bounced up about a decade and the community matured into something much more productive. Instead of flame wars there was intelligent discourse.

Maybe because of the sensitive nature of this, we can meet somewhere in the middle.

I think a fully populated profile should be required. Fully Populated means.

Age, City, First name and last initial. What could possibly be the harm in providing this information?
Also being found with bogus information in your profile should be an instant Ban.

You can't have a community without some trust, and for many people who come here to be jerks... the hide behind their "callsigns" and sling rubbish.

if they had to stand in the public square and sling the same bs... they just may not bother to come in at all, which would be better for all of us.
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Closed ThreadTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General