Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

FAQ for Tokyo Marui Hi-Capa, 2011, 1911, MEU & Detonics type variants

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old July 17th, 2010, 16:33   #436
turok_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
Its not the hole you are worry about. Its the connection between the 2 side.

You have - and = on the left and right side, you need to make the fit between the key and the slot tighter...
Hey RM, thanks for the tip, I tried it out and it works really well! I tightened the lock between the - and =
turok_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2010, 19:19   #437
StrikeFreedom

Is it possible to replace the BBU top spring with a rod so that the nozzle stays in place? This way it won't stick to the hop up for awhile then spring back.
StrikeFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2010, 19:19   #438
ujiro

Send a message via MSN to ujiro
Your gun won't blow back if this is the case though.
Old July 18th, 2010, 19:35   #439
StrikeFreedom

That's exactly what's happening; gas just spews out at the muzzle. Shouldn't the bulb move forward, blocking the nozzle head, and the rest of the gas push the BBU/slide back?
Old July 19th, 2010, 12:04   #440
turok_t

Which kind of nozzle are u using? I heard that the SD bulbs are crap (if u read a few pages behind in this thread), and that ILLusion recommended using the stock bulb instead... Ive got an upgraded one by KM or nineball, i cant remember, and the blow back is really crisp..
Old July 19th, 2010, 12:10   #441
StrikeFreedom

I had problems with the SD bulb as well so I already switched back to stock.

A friend of mine wanted the nozzle to stay in place (relative to the slide), just like me. He left the nozzle/BBU spring there but used a screw on top to fix the nozzle. IIRC his blowback works just fine, so I don't understand why mine doesn't.
Old July 20th, 2010, 12:20   #442
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikeFreedom View Post
Is it possible to replace the BBU top spring with a rod so that the nozzle stays in place? This way it won't stick to the hop up for awhile then spring back.
If this were possible, then Tokyo Marui and all other GBB manufacturers would not have created a moving nozzle system. Same goes for real steel. There has to be a moving component that allows gas expansion, and thus, movement of the slide from incoming gasses.

It'd be a different situation if it were a stabilized gas rod in a gas tube, with the gas source coming from outside of the blowback mechanism and in through the tube, but this isn't the case.

The way TM GBB's work, is that as gas is expelled from the magazine's flow outlet in to the nozzle, the floating valve directs pressure out the inner barrel until a negative flow is realized. Once the inner barrel is free of the projectile, the floating valve will recognize a greater gas pressure behind it (from the magazine's flow outlet) than what is present in the inner barrel, which will cause the floating valve to close. Once the floating valve is closed, pressure builds inside the nozzle, and the only escape for the expansion is to push the only moving part at this point, which is the piston head. Attached to the blowback unit, the piston head will force the entire slide assembly to blowbackwards while the nozzle remains in contact with the magazine's flow outlet. The nozzle will NOT release contact until:

a) The moving slide pulls the nozzle back
b) The blowback unit trips the valve knocker disconnect lever, which stops the gas flow.

Whichever comes first, usually (b) happens first unless something is wrong with the setup.

If you lock the nozzle to the blowback unit with a rod, the slide will NOT move, and thus, the valve knocker disconnect lever will NOT trip, which will cause gas to blow out of the magazine till it's empty.

Quote:
A friend of mine wanted the nozzle to stay in place (relative to the slide), just like me. He left the nozzle/BBU spring there but used a screw on top to fix the nozzle. IIRC his blowback works just fine, so I don't understand why mine doesn't.
Where was the screw placed? There must be some type of movement still occurring.

I don't understand why you want to lock the nozzle in place. I can't see any benefit to it.

Last edited by ILLusion; July 20th, 2010 at 12:30..
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 12:54   #443
turok_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
If this were possible, then Tokyo Marui and all other GBB manufacturers would not have created a moving nozzle system. Same goes for real steel. There has to be a moving component that allows gas expansion, and thus, movement of the slide from incoming gasses.

It'd be a different situation if it were a stabilized gas rod in a gas tube, with the gas source coming from outside of the blowback mechanism and in through the tube, but this isn't the case.

The way TM GBB's work, is that as gas is expelled from the magazine's flow outlet in to the nozzle, the floating valve directs pressure out the inner barrel until a negative flow is realized. Once the inner barrel is free of the projectile, the floating valve will recognize a greater gas pressure behind it (from the magazine's flow outlet) than what is present in the inner barrel, which will cause the floating valve to close. Once the floating valve is closed, pressure builds inside the nozzle, and the only escape for the expansion is to push the only moving part at this point, which is the piston head. Attached to the blowback unit, the piston head will force the entire slide assembly to blowbackwards while the nozzle remains in contact with the magazine's flow outlet. The nozzle will NOT release contact until:

a) The moving slide pulls the nozzle back
b) The blowback unit trips the valve knocker disconnect lever, which stops the gas flow.

Whichever comes first, usually (b) happens first unless something is wrong with the setup.

If you lock the nozzle to the blowback unit with a rod, the slide will NOT move, and thus, the valve knocker disconnect lever will NOT trip, which will cause gas to blow out of the magazine till it's empty.

Where was the screw placed? There must be some type of movement still occurring.

I don't understand why you want to lock the nozzle in place. I can't see any benefit to it.
Ive been speaking with strikefreedom lately.. He says he wants to short stroke his slide even more by preventing the nozzle from adhering to the hopup chamber. Hes anticipating that the rod will preventing the nozzle from sliding forward so it can chamber the next bb quickier
Old July 20th, 2010, 13:11   #444
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turok_t View Post
Ive been speaking with strikefreedom lately.. He says he wants to short stroke his slide even more by preventing the nozzle from adhering to the hopup chamber. Hes anticipating that the rod will preventing the nozzle from sliding forward so it can chamber the next bb quickier
Well... it's not going to work. The nozzle HAS to move to at least *some* degree, and it must allow the slide to move till the blowback unit can at least trip the valve knocker disconnect lever as well as the sear disconnect lever. If neither of those trip, then the trigger cycle can't function. The nozzle MUST stick to the chamber until the slide cycles to the point of disconnecting all levers.

There is only so much you can do with short stroking, beyond that, if you want to increase cycling speed, there are other things that can be done, such as increasing the recoil strength, buffers to "bounce" the slide back in to battery, as well as lowering the weight of the moving mass to remove acceleration time.
Old July 20th, 2010, 18:46   #445
StrikeFreedom

Yes I am pushing the short stroking limit. Currently, with the stock spring in (or no spring), the slide can blowback no problem and is enough to cock the hammer. Problem is within such short traveling distance the nozzle will not spring back into the piston, failing to chamber the next round. Will replacing the spring with a stronger/longer one work then?
Old July 20th, 2010, 21:12   #446
juicy

Wait, no spring works? Interesting!

Sorry, I've got not a clue about short stroking... but like, the no-spring thing - shouldn't that cripple your blowback? I guess I've never tried it... but hmm, why put a spring in there in the first place, then?
juicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 21:53   #447
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Yes I am pushing the short stroking limit. Currently, with the stock spring in (or no spring), the slide can blowback no problem and is enough to cock the hammer. Problem is within such short traveling distance the nozzle will not spring back into the piston, failing to chamber the next round. Will replacing the spring with a stronger/longer one work then?
Well, you're pushing the line, because the sooner you release the nozzle, the sooner you'll stop the gas flowing in to the nozzle. And the less gas that goes in to the nozzle, the less power there will be to blow the slide back. If the slide doesn't blow back far enough, then it won't be able to chamber the next round, even if the nozzle is cocked all the way back.

A longer spring, or one with tighter coils will prevent the nozzle from going back, but again, make sure that however much you short stroke it, make sure the blowback unit has enough room (and time!!) to roll back and disconnect the sear & valve knocker levers

I'm not saying what you're doing is impossible. You're just challenging the original engineering specifications, and you're on your own territory there. Keep trying things out, and you may discover something that we can't answer for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy View Post
Wait, no spring works? Interesting!
Yes, the no spring thing works, only because it doesn't impede any mechanical function of the nozzle as far as cycling goes.

As far as short stroking goes, having a spring in there or not doesn't affect the function at all.

The *ONLY* purpose that exists for pulling the nozzle back, is simply to pull the nozzle back when the slide is racked back so that you don't have a big, unsightly, an d unrealistic nozzle sitting in the ejection port when the slide is racked back. Beyond that, it serves no real purpose.

Most users who've bent or damaged that spring due to careless reassembly and decide to try using the pistol without the spring can attest to the full functionality of it. But again, not having the spring there won't impede NOR improve any performance characteristic whatsoever.
Old July 20th, 2010, 21:54   #448
StrikeFreedom

AFAIK no spring works in the sense of blowing back, but it'll fail to chamber the next BB since the nozzle doesn't get pulled back.
Old July 20th, 2010, 21:56   #449
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
AFAIK no spring works in the sense of blowing back, but it'll fail to chamber the next BB since the nozzle doesn't get pulled back.
It is conditionally possible. (ie, if the pistol is otherwise unmodified.)
Old July 20th, 2010, 22:02   #450
StrikeFreedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
It is conditionally possible. (ie, if the pistol is otherwise unmodified.)
O right, the slide/nozzle can reach back far enough on a stock gun. Too much short stroking in my head right now hahah.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications