Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Op-For/Terrorist/Rebel/Insurgents
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Pictures of Middle Eastern Armies/Police/Armouries (TONS OF PICS)

:

Op-For/Terrorist/Rebel/Insurgents

Closed Thread

Old November 27th, 2005, 10:23   #31
Tarkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanhchan
Whats all that crap on the tank for...they look like lunch boxes
These are reactive armor blocks. It is another good example of countries that are a few step behind in terms of armor and counter armor technologies. Reactive armor first made it into active service when the main threat to armor were holow charge (or shape charge) shells. These were basically regular explosive shells made in a way that, when detonating on a hard surface, would concentrate all their energy on a single, narrow spot, a bit like a needle. That way, you could go through thicker armor with a reduced amount of explosive, without muzzle velocity being a factor. It was especially useful to provide large caliber, low-velocity gun with a reasonable amount of AT capabilities. IIRC, RPG and most man portable AT devices are still using this.

First counter measure came from the Germans during WWII, with the use of thinly armored skirts (schürzen, as on this StuG IV ) that would detonate the charge far away from the hull and efficiently protect it from the blast.

The T-55 seen here is using the second main counter measure idea: reactive armor. Basically, these are explosive matters pressed between soft steel plates that detonate upon contact, deflect the energy of the shell and lessen its effect on main armor. Israelis M60 and Centurions were first seen with this kind of protection in Lebanon, seemingly to good effects.

Today, tanks are mostly using discarding sabot tungstene super-hard core shells that use extremely high velocity and cinetic energy to go through armor, therefore rendering reactive armor obsolete, at least for main battle tank. It might still be useful for wheeled troops carrier, but I believe Striker LAV are now using some sort of fence like structrure, although I can't figure out how it works... :-?

Cheers
Old November 27th, 2005, 11:40   #32
Gryphon

Thanks for the correction, I checked my book Soviet Tanks and Combat Vehicles 1945 to the Present (great text), and it is indeed a T-55.

ERA would still be effective against RPGs and the like. I believe the fence structure around the LAV is also meant to defeat light threats such as RPG by causing them to detonate farther away from the armor surface, rendering the shaped charge ineffective.

I remember seeing a TV program once about a new type of reactive armor that involved two sets of conductive plates surrounding the vehicle, each connected to a massive capacitor bank inside the tank. When a shaped charge or sabot penetrated the first plate and contacted the second, it completed a circuit between the two plates and the capacitor bank discharged. Because the plasma or sabot are still conductive they receive the full electrical discharge and instantly vaporize or explode. It was tested and it worked stunningly well apparently.
Old November 27th, 2005, 13:05   #33
Warthog

Send a message via MSN to Warthog
Yep the "fence" really only helps protecting against RPG by detonating them or capturing them before they hit the main hull. IIRC, there was a picture of an RPG stuck in a fence on a Stryker.

Old November 27th, 2005, 13:45   #34
The Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus
Today, tanks are mostly using discarding sabot tungstene super-hard core shells that use extremely high velocity and cinetic energy to go through armor, therefore rendering reactive armor obsolete, at least for main battle tank.
ERAs are far from being obsolete for MBTs. There's still way more than enough ATGMs and other portable antitank weapons around for the ERAs to be useful.
Old November 27th, 2005, 16:28   #35
Warthog

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint
Quote:
Today, tanks are mostly using discarding sabot tungstene super-hard core shells that use extremely high velocity and cinetic energy to go through armor, therefore rendering reactive armor obsolete, at least for main battle tank.
ERAs are far from being obsolete for MBTs. There's still way more than enough ATGMs and other portable antitank weapons around for the ERAs to be useful.
You're contradicting yourself here. You say ERA are not obsolete then you say they are useless because there is way too many ATGM around

Old November 27th, 2005, 16:42   #36
The Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog
Quote:
You're contradicting yourself here. You say ERA are not obsolete then you say they are useless because there is way too many ATGM around
How am I contradicting myself? ERA is designed against HEAT warheads, which are primarily employed by ATGMs and man portable antitank weapons. The prevalence of these weapons means that ERA is still very useful. Try reading it again.
Old November 28th, 2005, 22:02   #37
Tarkus

Quote:
Quote:
You're right, maybe obsolete was a bit of a strong word. There are plenty of russian MBTs rumbling around with ERA add-on. Since Russian are into low-level, assymetrical warfare to the full, I guess it proves you right. :nod:

For my defence, I'll invoke the fact that I was more thinking of tank vs tank engagement. A rare occurence to say the least.

Cheers.
Old November 30th, 2005, 20:39   #38
LucidFox

Send a message via AIM to LucidFox Send a message via MSN to LucidFox

Lol they have no faced darth vader helmets...
Old December 1st, 2005, 12:41   #39
walks

those are riot helmets.
Old December 1st, 2005, 15:26   #40
LucidFox

Send a message via AIM to LucidFox Send a message via MSN to LucidFox
i know the bottom is cloth but it looks like a vader helmet...
Old December 3rd, 2005, 22:43   #41
Conscript
AKaholic

Iranian Armed Forces Vid:

http://media.putfile.com/Iranian-Armed-Forces
Old December 3rd, 2005, 23:55   #42
Warthog

cool video, nice to see a wide diversity in weaponry

Old December 4th, 2005, 00:48   #43
Penguin
Propaganda Minister
R.I.P. ???? - 2012

Send a message via ICQ to Penguin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidFox

Lol they have no faced darth vader helmets...
IF you dont feel like forking over the money for a real one, replicas have been made.

They just need a coat of primer and a coat of black and you're smiling.

also comes in a tactical model, for special operations

Old December 4th, 2005, 02:39   #44
Xepharo

-_-

hahah lol nice ad
Old December 4th, 2005, 03:52   #45
DuffMan

Send a message via ICQ to DuffMan Send a message via MSN to DuffMan
Yeah, what's with the handles?

"He resisted. I asked him to comply."
"Telling him to 'eat it, bitch' is not really a request."
Closed ThreadTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Op-For/Terrorist/Rebel/Insurgents