Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Steyr aug vs. Famas

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old June 12th, 2005, 00:04   #16
Keir Forget

Theres a lot of information to take in here but basically i'm getting that people don't like the Famas.

Quote:
EXPECT to pay about 1000-1500
BUT I DON'T WANNA!!! I have about seventy five cents, will that do?
Keir Forget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2005, 00:42   #17
Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keir Forget
Quote:
EXPECT to pay about 1000-1500
BUT I DON'T WANNA!!! I have about seventy five cents, will that do?
Um, no. No it will not.

You have any body parts your willing to part with though?
:grin:

http://www.bikercowboy.com

"...and if I fall, to taste the ground, and you hear that firebell sound. Don't fear, it's just the bullets, bouncing off my helmet..." -Hawksley Workman

"I sir, point & laugh at you from across the ocean."-Aquamarine

"It is that same freedom to choose that many organized faiths refuse to accept. And for that, I refuse to accept them."-MadMorbius
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2005, 00:54   #18
rat

no really, expect to spend that much...you will learn that if you cheap out it will bite you in the ass one way or another...sorry if this comes as bad news to you, but hey, this is how it is...we are all in the same boat...
rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2005, 01:02   #19
The Saint

I'm cheaping my way out with a shotty instead of an AEG. I have a feeling that I'll get a misfeed and broken tri-nozzle the first time I fire at a hostile.
Old June 12th, 2005, 01:53   #20
the end

i must say go with the AUG its an all around good weapon, but for your first airsoft you may wanna go with an armalite type or maybe mp5, but its up to you.
the end is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2005, 02:17   #21
Drake
E-01

Ignore the stuff about the FAMAS breaking down and being hard to upgrade; people who've never owned 'em talk out their ass (RAS_Jackson's post was good and informative though, so pay attention to his). The V1 mechbox is built more solidly than the V2, and for Canadian field limits it'll support decent upgrades.

I've posted stuff about upgrading the FAMAS in other sections, but here it is again in a nutshell since I feel sorry for you getting bombarded with so much misinformation:

Bushings: you can use Systema v2/v3 ones, but they're a tight fit.

Springs: I have a PDI 140% in mine and it barely affected ROF. I'd avoid going much higher than PDI 150% or equiv., since a replacement mechbox is hard to find. I feel 140% is an entirely 'safe' upgrade (for the gears, mechbox, etc; I've never had any problems with it, after several years)

Gears: There's Systema flat cut (Flat cut == stock design) FAMAS/V1 gears, which you can sometimes find at HK shops. I don't use em, the mild upgrade doesn't warrant it. As for specialized cut gears (torque up, high speed), stock they're already a high speed design, and you don't need torque up for such a mild spring upgrade (it'd just mess up the ROF)

Pistons & Piston heads: v2/v3 work fine. I use a systema polycarb piston, and a systema aluminum piston head.

Inner barrel can be swapped for a tightbore. Some people use G3 barrels cuz they're just a few millimeters shorter; others prefer cutting down M16 barrels cuz they're easier to come by. Some people bore out a bit of the outer barrel so they can use full length M16 barrels (more work, I can't notice any advantage to it).

Hop packings are standard v2/v3 type. But you have to pretty much strip down the entire gun to get to it.

Most of the other stuff in the mechbox is V1 parts only.

You'll also hear people spew stuff about the motor being old an inferior cuz it was the first design (EG560): this is also totally wrong, unless you're buying some vintage 10 year old AEG. Later models use an EG560HT (high torque) motor, which performs similarly to the EG700. In doesnt in all respects, but it does when compared with the types of upgrades you'd be using in the FAMAS, so for all intents and purposes, similar.

Cons: the biggest con, as RAS_Jackson pointed out, is it feels poorly constructed out of the box. You get a lot of loose plastic on plastic squeeks. So one of the first tasks at hand when you get one is to disassemble the body and strategically place some electrical tape to buffer out the frame. This makes everything quiet, and it feels much tighter and more solid.

Other con is most of the screws screw directly into plastic (!), so its easy to mess up the threads bigtime if you aren't careful, and then yo're in a world of shit cuz you can't reassemble your body properly.

Biggest con, in your case... the gun isn't noob friendly. As can be witnessed in this and other threads, a lot of people who are usually knowledgeable about AEGs don't have a clue what's going on when it comes to the FAMAS, so finding help can be a problem.

On the other hand, the AUG feels sturdy as a rock out of the box, and the design is easier to work on. There are also more after market parts and conversion kits available, depending on what you plan on doing. Personally I dislike the optics in the Mil model, so I'd recommend the RT version (the one with the optics rail) and you can mount a red dot or whatever optics you choose.

It doesn't have the mad ROF the FAMAS has, but the high ROF can be annoying (even upgraded, my famas puts out 6-8 BBs in a half second burst).

The stock AUG also seems more accurate, and as with the M16A2 and AK47, it can hold its own [stock] against lightly upgraded AEGs.
Old June 12th, 2005, 03:20   #22
RAS_Jackson

Send a message via MSN to RAS_Jackson
Please keep in mind when i say "Bad ass upgrades" i look at the external options. There a some crazy options out there, First Factory, GG, GP. I consider a FAMAS an Mp5ish sized AEG. (i would even attempt to snipe with it, even upgraded) Personally i would play up front with that type of AEG so internal upgrades i wouldnt be too concerned about.

Like i said you want to be a sniper and play back, look at the AUG as a first choice. Because you cant expect to run to fast with a 50 pound gun thats a meter long.

www.rangersairsoft.com
RAS_Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2005, 04:33   #23
One_Zero

They ve said it before and I ll say it again, if you come out to a CIA game you will see all types of guns (stock and upgraded). We do not mind if you wanna shoot a few. We play alot of forest games so you need range and accuracy rather than speed. A sturdy gun that is light enough to lug through the woods all day. Some thing easy to upgrade, and as previously stated be prepared to shell out the dough I think HGI was saying recently he spent nearly $ 1800 to upgrade his M4 fully and counting!!!!
One_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2005, 23:29   #24
nic_s

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick
wow everyone is so clueless.
Aug is a version 3
A friend of mine says his AUG has a Ver.6 in it. I didn't think that was the case either but I guess some AUGs did come equipped with a Ver.6.
Old June 14th, 2005, 19:22   #25
Keir Forget

I have decided that I want a Steyr Aug much more. Thanks all. Any more additional information would be much appreciated.
Keir Forget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 19:37   #26
attack-beaver

this may give you some more info if you want it http://www.airsoftunlimited.airsoftc...wtopic.php?t=4
ths website has 2 to 7 reviews on alomst every AEG made. just scolle down and find AUG reviews and read away.
attack-beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 19:59   #27
Shinjin_MC

Send a message via MSN to Shinjin_MC
aug sounds freakin cool when you work the bolt
:nod:
Shinjin_MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 20:03   #28
gandar

Send a message via MSN to gandar
Yeah, a nice solid action and the "shhschink" sound it makes when it slides is great. I love it. Nice solid feel, one of the more realistic feeling guns out of the box IMO. I wouldn't trade it for all the tea. As soon as I get my new gears I'll be rockin'... I might look at a tightbore for it down the road too.

Alternatively, I could just light you on fire. - Me
gandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 02:00   #29
Duckman

hey guys..dotn forget the you can field strip the aug down to 3 pcs mid fight if you ever get a jam. i have one adn it's awsome as soon as you get the hop up right. and it's stock.
Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 13:14   #30
Man Solo

Send a message via MSN to Man Solo
Version 3 one of the best gearboxes for both strength and upgradability

Paying also sufficent attention to third personell.
Man Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion