Newbie Tank

Old August 23rd, 2009, 22:21   #16
deep in the bush
Monkey with a Gun

Send a message via MSN to deep in the bush
Cut mask

Here is what I did with mine.
(thanks for idea Pete)

It's a JT mask. I like it cause it never fogs.

P.S. Please excuse the 70's easy chair
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mask (Custom).JPG (63.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Mask back.JPG (61.7 KB, 25 views)

I'm the Barrie Bastard.
http://www.bbbastard.com/

Cheese is good.

Last edited by deep in the bush; August 23rd, 2009 at 22:27..
deep in the bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 23:24   #17
chronic

i use a neoprene half mask. it covers the ears, cheeks, neck, chin, nose, mouth and back of head.. i got hit straight on the lip with a 350fps gun and it stung for about 30 seonds. no marks and no lost teeth.

its extremely hot underneath it in the summer. i wouldnt recommend it for everyone. But it works..

i prefer it alot more than a paintball mask as paintball masks, at least the ones i have seen dont give any protection for your neck and back of your head at all.

and i am bald, so the back of my head is an open canvas for the painting..
Old August 23rd, 2009, 23:42   #18
Adrenaline101

I've been tempted to pick up the airsoft mask that canadian tire has, it covers down to the chin and over the ears, its got a set of goggles on it but Id only want it to remove them and see if my ESS Profiles would fit into them.
Adrenaline101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 23:43   #19
Kit
Ride Sleds!

Send a message via MSN to Kit Send a message via Skype™ to Kit
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep in the bush View Post
Here is what I did with mine.
(thanks for idea Pete)

It's a JT mask. I like it cause it never fogs.

P.S. Please excuse the 70's easy chair

Thats a pretty cool idea, I got a pball mask but it was 110 bucks and i dont want to cut it up lol...
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:14   #20
SEAL009

is a shemagh really enough protection for the teeth? i have fairly big teeth
SEAL009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:19   #21
Armyissue
Administrator of Pants

Send a message via MSN to Armyissue Send a message via Skype™ to Armyissue
Shemaghs, Balaclava's, Neoprene masks, combat scarves. All available at ArmyIssue. See you soon
Armyissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:39   #22
TaktikAirsoft
formerly moogy

Send a message via Skype™ to TaktikAirsoft
I like it.

But I don't see much neck protection..
Old August 24th, 2009, 15:43   #23
deep in the bush
Monkey with a Gun

Send a message via MSN to deep in the bush
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
Thats a pretty cool idea, I got a pball mask but it was 110 bucks and i dont want to cut it up lol...
Yeah I understand. I do not PB so the mask was only for AS.

I'm the Barrie Bastard.
http://www.bbbastard.com/

Cheese is good.
deep in the bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 15:52   #24
Kit
Ride Sleds!

Send a message via MSN to Kit Send a message via Skype™ to Kit
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep in the bush View Post
Yeah I understand. I do not PB so the mask was only for AS.
I quit paintball lol for this way better sport, would this be classified as a sport? probably not eh?
Old August 24th, 2009, 16:28   #25
Drake
E-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogy View Post
I like it.

But I don't see much neck protection..

You realize this is a contact sport, right? You're gonna take hits. You'll take finger hits and earlobe hits and neck hits and groin hits, and some will hurt like hell but none are life threatening.

Protecting your eyes is an absolute must. Protecting your teeth is recommended (teeth can be repaired easily but its really expensive). But if you're afraid to take shots to the rest of your body you're perhaps not in the right sport. I don't mean to be an ass, but that's the reality of it: this sport revolves around shooting and being shot with plastic projectiles traveling at 350+ FPS.

Are you going to still feel the hit through a balaclava, shamagh, etc? Yes. Not as bad as a bare skin hit and it'll usually spare you the bleeder, but soft material protection only provides a bit of padding against the BBs (specially a balaclava, at least you can wrap up the shamagh into a thicker bunch): if you get hit squarely by a high velocity shot you could probably still suffer a chipped tooth -- hence, get a damn $5 mouthguard from Walmart (the combatives ones with upper and lower protection). Otherwise, get a paintball mask, or something like the Eye Tactical mask if you want full face/head/neck protection.

http://www.eyetactical.com/products/milsim/cm110.html
Old August 24th, 2009, 16:47   #26
Jburough

I agree w/ you there
to be Frank! I have been hit in the neck; 375fps must have been 20 paces (yes, paces)
hurt for maybe 20 seconds due to the adrenaline.
but, I guess, we all have different tolerances.

edit- and yeah.. I use a mouth-guard I had from Rugby
"My mind is my blade, my body is my soul - w/ out them I am useless"

"squeeze my lemon - 'til the Juice runs down my leg"
-Robert Plant

Jburough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 16:53   #27
TaktikAirsoft
formerly moogy

Send a message via Skype™ to TaktikAirsoft
The idea of getting hit at 450 fps is not a problem for me.

The situation is what can be the result in been hit. Some guys have mesh goggles an if they are unlucky enough to be shot in the mesh at less then 20 feet with a bio bb that will explode on contact... well just say I wouldn't want to be that guy.

It's about minimising stupid accidents. Getting clipped in the ass is a matter of pride not pain. I don't think anyone would like to get one in the ear or the mouth, even the nose not mentioning the eyes. It's not about pain... but long term damage that can't be fixed with a couple of days to shake it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
You realize this is a contact sport, right? You're gonna take hits. You'll take finger hits and earlobe hits and neck hits and groin hits, and some will hurt like hell but none are life threatening.

Protecting your eyes is an absolute must. Protecting your teeth is recommended (teeth can be repaired easily but its really expensive). But if you're afraid to take shots to the rest of your body you're perhaps not in the right sport. I don't mean to be an ass, but that's the reality of it: this sport revolves around shooting and being shot with plastic projectiles traveling at 350+ FPS.

Are you going to still feel the hit through a balaclava, shamagh, etc? Yes. Not as bad as a bare skin hit and it'll usually spare you the bleeder, but soft material protection only provides a bit of padding against the BBs (specially a balaclava, at least you can wrap up the shamagh into a thicker bunch): if you get hit squarely by a high velocity shot you could probably still suffer a chipped tooth -- hence, get a damn $5 mouthguard from Walmart (the combatives ones with upper and lower protection). Otherwise, get a paintball mask, or something like the Eye Tactical mask if you want full face/head/neck protection.

http://www.eyetactical.com/products/milsim/cm110.html
Old August 24th, 2009, 18:27   #28
Drake
E-01

Quote:

The situation is what can be the result in been hit. Some guys have mesh goggles an if they are unlucky enough to be shot in the mesh at less then 20 feet with a bio bb that will explode on contact... well just say I wouldn't want to be that guy.

It's about minimising stupid accidents. Getting clipped in the ass is a matter of pride not pain. I don't think anyone would like to get one in the ear or the mouth, even the nose not mentioning the eyes. It's not about pain... but long term damage that can't be fixed with a couple of days to shake it off.

That's one of the reasons that mesh goggles aren't allowed on all fields (paintball fields, for example) and generally discouraged: they're a "wear at your own risk" item, similar to ballistic glasses (i.e., non sealing). They're fine 99.9% of the time, but you do open yourself up to an extra amount of risk.

For similar reasons, some brands of bio BBs are discouraged. Even with full season tactical or paintball goggles, fragments can still enter through small ventilation holes.
Old August 24th, 2009, 19:40   #29
coach
aka coachster

Quote:

I've taken some hot ones off the ear and lip that burned for a few minutes. A little cussing while walking off the field to respawn or safe zone is as long as it hurts. I've had one in the lip that bothered me for a few days.

I've never worn a full mask for airsoft and probably won't ever. Even when playing terminator for a full day I didn't bother with it but loosely wrapped a shemaghs around my neck and to cover my mouth. The only other essential piece of protection I'd wear when playing something like terminator or ironman is a cup! there are guys out there that aim low or purpose.

If you're really that worried about head, face and neck protection, wear a pb full face mask, balaclava, shemagh, mouth guard and a helmet. You'll be sweating buckets and likely won't be able to see. lol only other option that I can see is, become a chairsofter and don't play.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 21:51   #30
AznFireboi

Would fields allow something like the mask in my avatar? It has clear lenses in the eye holes, and it said it could take shots up to 500 fps or so, but I haven't taken test shots at it yet.
AznFireboi is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank