Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Headset / Radio / PTT / Handset mic?

:

Gear Discussion

Old March 6th, 2017, 13:25   #1
youonlywish

Headset / Radio / PTT / Handset mic?

Hey folks,

Looking to create a comms system using some gear I already own without buying a whole new headset.

I've got an electronic noise cancelling headset that I use at the range. It's got an aux-in port for bringing audio in.

I've got a radio with output for audio and input for mic.

Is there a mic I could use separately from my headset, maybe a handset mounted on my shoulder or something?

Basically, so that I can use my existing headset with audio from the radio being piped in and a mic external to that setup to talk into.
Old March 6th, 2017, 15:02   #2
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

You could just get a speaker-mic with the appropriate pin set on it. Many have an additional port to go to earphones or whatever. Your headset has an audio in jack, but no boom mic port? Best would be to get the proper mic that goes to your headset and an adapter for the radio. If not, then you can also shoulder mount your radio and use that as your mic/PTT as well. That'll minimize your costs. If you can't use a boom mic on your headset and you want to do this right, then grab the proper adapter for your radio so that you can split to your headphones and get a good outdoor speaker-mic. Third option, if you're not too fancy on what you've got. Sell your pieces and get a set of Sordins, Peltors, Quietpros, Invisios, etc, that already have all the features you require.
Old March 6th, 2017, 15:02   #3
riley_A

What you want is something like the code red headsets signal 21 speaker mic. It'll plug directly into your radio and will act as your microphone and PTT. These kinds of mics usually have a 3.5mm audio jack as well which will allow you to route your incoming audio directly to your headset instead of the audio coming directly out of the handset.
riley_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 17:26   #4
Renegade)
A Total Bastard

I run a system like this, speaker mic with a button to turn on/off the speaker itself, and a separate wire run to a acoustic earpiece. Keeps things very comfortable.

Run all 3 lines to a splitter and splice the wires accordingly.
Old March 6th, 2017, 18:44   #5
youonlywish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade) View Post
I run a system like this, speaker mic with a button to turn on/off the speaker itself, and a separate wire run to a acoustic earpiece. Keeps things very comfortable.

Run all 3 lines to a splitter and splice the wires accordingly.
I've cobbled this together from what I've got on hand - works perfectly. Didn't even think to check the speaker mic for a line-out to headphones. Thanks.

Btw - good to see you on here. Been too long!
Old March 6th, 2017, 22:09   #6
Renegade)
A Total Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by youonlywish View Post
I've cobbled this together from what I've got on hand - works perfectly. Didn't even think to check the speaker mic for a line-out to headphones. Thanks.

Btw - good to see you on here. Been too long!
Sure you could do a headphone from the speaker mic, alot of models have that.
I dont do that, I found it more comfortable to run a separate line for audio only, and keep the speaker mic as your PTT Mic system.
Gives you options to remove the speaker mic from your shoulder and have it in your hand without removing your earpeice or pulling the wire accidentally.

Hit me up on Facebook if you want some pictures of my set up.

Good to see you as well dude, been a long time!

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion