Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

CO2 cartriage powered artilery... check post 26

:

General

Old September 20th, 2006, 18:13   #1
Grave
CO2 cartriage powered artilery... check post 26

I've desinged and tested my own arty w/ rocket ammo. I used a 12gram co2 cartrage to proppel the round. The catriage usually burns out very shortly after leaving the barrel so theres no danger of it bouncing off of something and flying into somebodys face. It fires from a large 6 foot long pvc pipe and loads in the back then I close the butt cap which has a nail in it which when hit with a hammer punchures the co2 cartrage in the center of its nozzel. well heres the design. i left out allot of small details that make it work correctly but this is the basic design.
Now me and my freind have test fired it many times and the problems with it are: fully puncturing the cartriage, making the hole on a 90 degree angle and making the hole in the dead center. Well I'll exept any feedback with open arms, thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arty & ammo.JPG (31.9 KB, 183 views)
Old September 20th, 2006, 19:10   #2
Greylocks

Please spell-check that post? It is painful to read.
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 19:18   #3
Goldman

Send a message via MSN to Goldman
So what happens when this round that goes up, has to come down?

What is the round made of?

How is a wooden frame going to protect the use from explosion?

My Buy/Sell 1337ness rating
Goldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 20:00   #4
Pliskin

Send a message via MSN to Pliskin
Very creative. The only problem I find is the fine paper fins, as they would bend while going down, causing the rocket to fly in a problematic angle. And the wooden frame catching fire if something drastically weird happens. You could just put a guide for the nail to go in 90 degrees, and make a butt-cap for it(instead of using hammer, just bash it in with a hard steel cylinder that attaches to the back and slides back and forth).

Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 20:23   #5
shadow1911
Banned

Send a message via MSN to shadow1911
Hard to read when you type with no grammer. I use to / still do some times. So I got the just of what your sayng and have come to this conclusion.

ARE YOU NUTS. the force of that thing coming down and hitting some one on the head dam thats going to hurt. Assuming thats solid materals.
shadow1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 20:28   #6
Vivisector

Send a message via MSN to Vivisector
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1911
Hard to read when you type with no grammer. I use to / still do some times. So I got the just of what your sayng and have come to this conclusion.

ARE YOU NUTS. the force of that thing coming down and hitting some one on the head dam thats going to hurt. Assuming thats solid materals.

Even if it is made of paper, if one fills it with flour like he suggests it'll still hurt/injure.
Vivisector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 20:42   #7
Greylocks

If you make at least as much effort to get age-verified, and you bother to use a spell-check software (or a dictionary), we'll gladly offer constructive criticism.

Right now the safety factors around that project are sadly lacking. There is more than one way to get severely injured with it, and not necessarily from the projectile end of it.
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 20:46   #8
Amgoosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grave
i've desinged and tested my own arty w/ rocket ammo. i used a 12gram co2 cartrage to proppel the round. the catriage usually burns out very shortly after leaving the barrel so theres no danger of it diflecting off of something and flying into somebodys face. it fires from a large 6 foot long pvc pipe and loads in the back then i close the butt cap which has a nail in it which when hit with a hammer punchures the co2 cartrage in the center of its nozzel. well heres the design. i left out allot of small details that make it work correctly but this is the basic design.
Now me and Talraga have test fired it many times and the problems with it are: fully punchuring the cartriage, making the hole on a 90 degree angle and making the hole in the dead center. Well i'll exept and feedback with open arms, thanks.
Your project is dangerous and is likely to hurt someone, begone.
Amgoosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 20:47   #9
Swatt Six-Four
Formally SwattMedic

I have a rule of thumb when desigining/building anything to do with airsoft "unless your willing to take a hit with whatever your building point blank, go back to the drawing board" I won't decry your recent efforts, seeing as others have quite obviously pointed it out already. I am pleased with the fact that your using your mind and talents to simply try ( most never do) but please rember that you have to keep your safety and the safety of others in the fore front of everything you do. When desiging items you must always ask yourself " what would be the absolute worst thing that could happen" and assume the something twice as bad as that is going to happen. I won't lie most times this will lengthen the whole process considerably, however, your finished product will be far better than orginal concept. It will stand the test of time, you will have something to be proud of, something people will use, and most importantly something that can be used but will not seriously hurt anyone. The last one is the most important. Good luck with future projects, IMHO the above design has to go back to the drawing board ASAP, perhaps with this post in mind you will be able to build what you like in a more " user/target" friendly version

"Pain is just a symptom of weakness leaving the body"
-Herb Ferh
Swatt Six-Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 22:36   #10
tunabreath

Whoa, crazy idea... Just reading the title, rocket propelled...
What if you had a rocket propelled projectile (ala estes) that sent up a quartered cylinder full of BBs/powder... The entire projectile could be parachuted down at a safe velocity (temperature would probably be a bigger issue). The deployment charge could be used to trigger both the release of the BBs as well as the parachute. At altitude, the BBs can probably spread out enough to give a fair 'blast radius' once the BBs reach the ground. To prevent direct hits, the launcher can have a safety gimbal that would prevent firing below 45 degrees or something.
Sort of like airburst artillery...

Crazy, probably stupid and unsafe, but different. Has anyone considered this before?
Old September 20th, 2006, 23:52   #11
Kid

Could just use a foam end of sort from a craft store... may have to weight it inside to make sure it's even... or it won't go straight.

Also, for the tube of the rocket, could you not just have some sort of cardboard tube filled with foam(etc) that would be able to have the cartrige be pressed in by pure pressure from the blast, making the rocket it more easily reusable? Instead of having to ducktape.

As for the nail... I think a more precise tool could be used, but whatever.
What I would do for that is sand it down, to make sure it is smooth. Just to help it go in easier. As for the end cap, maybe a thicker one, and use a drill, level, and ruler to make sure it goes straight?
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 16:56   #12
Combine

The first thing I said to myself when I saw "Rocket Propelled" was "nope too dangerous"
Old September 21st, 2006, 22:39   #13
Greenwolf
Talraga

Send a message via MSN to Greenwolf
And once again ASC comes down on an Idea like a ton of bricks... what part of "testing stage" was not read? I know the grammar sucks but come on people it's not that hard to get.

Basically we need to get the thing to fire first before we attempt to make it safer. Grave had the Idea of making the Co2 cartridge eject imediatly after leaving the barrel (and burning out so it doesn't fly off on it's own) which would lighten the payload and reduce risk of injury.

Basically this all boils down to the same problem with conventional air cannons that have been considered for use as arty... what kind of round is safe to fire at people? It's the same problem no matter what kind of propellent you use. You can't nail it to the cross soely on the principal it's "rocket-based".

How about some constructive critisim instead of playing "stick the hot brand on the newb"?
Old September 21st, 2006, 23:26   #14
wingman

Send a message via AIM to wingman Send a message via MSN to wingman Send a message via Yahoo to wingman
To fix the puncturing problem, somehow plug the pipe on the bottom and put a nail in the center. Then it just works like a mortor round. Drop it in, gravity does its thing, the downward force puncturers the CO2, and off it goes. Works pretty much perfect every time, at least with a CO2 alone it does, haven't tried or seen it tried while attachedto something.

Hope this helps.

Waiting responsibly since early 2005.

Of course I've got all my ducks in a line, it's easier to shoot 'em that way! - me
wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 00:06   #15
Korneil

Send a message via MSN to Korneil
If you are building an artillery piece, maybe you should build a system that would prevent fire below a certain level, as said by
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunabreath
To prevent direct hits, the launcher can have a safety gimbal that would prevent firing below 45 degrees or something.
As for the ammunition it self if launched as an inderect fire, you could insert a parachute to slow the fall of it either all the way down or low enough to let it fall freely at a safe speed for its weight. You could also include in the ammunition a system that would make it "detonate" so that it spreads BB all over an area. This last system, combined with a parachute would render the ammo pretty much safe, don't you think?
I know this seems complicated but for safety sake I believe it is doable.

Korneil is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General