Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

g&p sr15 or ics m4

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old January 3rd, 2013, 13:54   #1
gixxer66

g&p sr15 or ics m4

I've been doing a lot of research watching videos and reading reviews but I'm stuck between the 2 guns. I'm just getting back into Airsoft after 8 yrs and both these brands are very new to me but both appear and sound to be solid units. I'm not really on a budget but al capping my self ay 700 so please don't say systema ha.

This will mainly be a outdoor gun maybe some cqb but.I usually go pistol anyway. I'm not looking for insane rps and will be running the proper volt battery. I wouldn't mind some slight mods but is not my main intentions( if shoots straight and around 380 fps I won't be modding anything until it breaks. And I don't care about rps and upping Tue voltage on my batter's.so gears shouldn't be a issue.

irst the g&p Sr 15 very solid outside, heard some problems with gears but have a feeling people where trying to get more rps then was meant for them. And a video crono at 370 I think it was out of the box so not bad. This retails by me for 699. Comes with forgrip and optics.
2nd is the ics m4 love the split gear box designs but almost seems to good to be true. And also a lot of mixed remarks some same other parts work some say only ics?(clarify someone who actually owns one) this retails about 500 .
I know buying online could be a bit cheaper but not a fan of online buying and like to support local shops. We need them around!
I want something reliable that can take a decent beating and if need be can be repaired fairly easy with accessible parts.
Any options? (someone who owns either both or has fielded both would be great).
Thanks
gixxer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 14:13   #2
L473ncy

Where are you located? $700 for a G&P SR15 is a bit steep IMO.

Out of the box the ICS is probably better and I say that owning 2 G&P's. With G&P the gears are consistently weak. There are some other minor problems such as the motor adjustment may need some threadlocker because it sometimes has a tenancy to loosen up. Piston is sometimes bad but that's moreso a lemon thing than a consistent problem.

ICS out of the box is good but if certain parts break you're kind of up the creek. It's like ~80% TM compatible for parts though. The ones I remember off the top of my head that are proprietary are tappet plate, anti reversal, and gearbox shell there are a few other parts but everything else is 100% TM compatible.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 14:17   #3
Kos-Mos

Tappet plate is standard.

ARL, mechbox shell and trigger switch are the only internals that are unique.
Hop-up unit is different, but you can fit a standard metal one by rounding the front of the square plate around the feed tube.
Body is unique, you need an ICS lower or upper to fit.

Barrel nut threads vary from batches/year apparently, but most are Standard size (G&P will fit). Others are metric (TM compatible will fit).

Stock are a pain to fit, since the stock post (that is detachable) is made tapper, so you need to add a spacer or mod the post to fit (when done, all stocks made for aegs will fit).

SOME pistol grip need to be ground at the front where it meets the receiver and have the hole for the motor shaft enlarged (Magpul amongst others). That is 1mm and can be done with sanding paper or a dremel tool.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 14:44   #4
gixxer66

Yes I know 699 eems a lot more then what it should be my first thought but havnt been able to compare to any other Canadian prices I think if I went in with cash in hand I can maybe get for 600 though.. I live in Edmonton Alberta also and only one place seems to Carry g&p. I was more leaning towards a ics but the Sr is oh so nice ha. Hence my post stuck in between the two. As for the odd part that is proprietary I don't mind stocking a couple extra parts for my convenience if they are fairly common to break.

Last edited by gixxer66; January 3rd, 2013 at 14:46.. Reason: edit
Old January 3rd, 2013, 14:57   #5
Spike
Privateer Airsoft

If you can get yourself age verified, there are retailers that carry G&P SR16s for ~$500 ish
Old January 3rd, 2013, 15:31   #6
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

dare I say you don't even need to be AVed to find the retail stores in canada that sell G&P. There's a ton of them now and not everyone lives on forums. It's just forum policy that you can't tell him.

The ICS is a solid choice if you don't want to add anything to it like a rail system, since ICS bodies are proprietary to fit their split gearbox.

threadlocker should be applied to ANY and every screw on an AEG... you'd be surprised at how many screws will just back themselves out. Teammate's ICS m4 had all the outerbarrel screws fall out and his outer barrel slipped right out of the handguard during a game.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 16:10   #7
gixxer66

I am age verified on ear , now need to get it transfered to here if that's possible. And yes shoulda mention I definitely want a forgrip . That is a must. And a acog. For ics what would have to be bought in order to do that. Or is it just a ris guard I need to buy from ics.
As for the Sr 16 that looks like a very short cqb weapon the complete opposite of what I want, unless the make a short and normal version?
Old January 3rd, 2013, 16:33   #8
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

if you're budgeting 700$, I'd much rather have a vfc over a g&p. ICS have their own RIS systems to add on but theyre not as widely available as say a madbull or acm stuff.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 17:21   #9
gixxer66

Just to clarify in order to put a grip on a ics I NEED a ics hand rail right nothing else fits .
Old January 3rd, 2013, 18:44   #10
HackD

I'll agree on the ICS M4 barrel nut thing - some are imperial threading and some are metric.

My original M4 apparently had metric threading - A Madbull Noveske barrel nut for my 7.25" Noveske SWS rail went right on. This one was manu'd sometime in late 2010.

My very recent second M4 project of indeterminate vintage, sported imperial threading. I needed to order a G&P barrel nut to accommodate the DD 7" free-float rail system to make it work. The ICS barrel nut was incompatible - it is of a proprietary design.

I wouldn't say that the ICS M4 design is limiting.. but you do need to get creative in parts sourcing, and some modifications at times to make work. There are certainly easier M4 designs that lend themselves to being Gucci'd up.
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 19:51   #11
L473ncy

Talk to Jeff at Capital Airsoft, he is one of the guys in Edmonton who can do AV for ASC. Shogun-G and Azaroth too.

See thread here: http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=74996

Also Imperial Airsoft just opened up in Edmonton too, check them out as well.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion