Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Spring issue

:

Newbie Tank

Old August 11th, 2009, 02:00   #1
highny

Spring issue

Hello all.

So my friends stock MP5 spring shoots around 360 FPS which is too high for our local indoor area(320 FPS), so we went a picked up a "Power Mega hand made spring" aka PDI 120%. The guy said "it'll shot around 300 FPS". But yesterday at an indoor game, he tested out the FPS and it shoots around 330 which is still too high...

Could someone tell me did the dealer wrong about PDI 120%?

Or is my friends' MP5 went crazy?

I need to change my spring for my M4, but now that I see the issue, I'm not sure if I should just change it and test it or just return for a lower FPS spring.
highny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 02:26   #2
Darklen
Administrator

Check the ASC spring chart fo guidance here. While the springs were tested with a highly upgraded TM P90, I've found the readings to be a good base line for an otherwise stock TM M4 with whichever spring installed.

A PDI 120 might do the trick, but PDI were kind of flakey a while ago with a lot of guys getting mislabeled springs. A Prometheus M90 wil do the trick. Not sure of Modify or Madbull as they haven't been put on the chart. Springs are an easy change if you know what you're doing. Chances are, unless the retailer you got the gun from offers a gundoc service, you'll have to purchase the spring and have someone install it for you if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:16   #3
coach
aka coachster

you could try to find someone with a stock marui spring. they typically shoot 280ish.

I have a modify s90 spring installed with a standard non-bearing spring guide and it's sitting around 270-280. it's suppose to be in the 330's but I'm figuring that's not with a complete stock marui box.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:17   #4
zone 69

Do you not have to give the spring time to brake in.??

Or if its a Irregular-Pitch spring you can just install it back wards to loose FPS.
zone 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 12:02   #5
L473ncy

Installing a non linear spring backwards should give you a drop in FPS but your gun would still be a bit hot, maybe you can mess with other settings/parts to drop it to 300.

Also that guy who sold you the spring either didn't know (wrong information) or purposely sold you the wrong spring. a PDI 120 will give you 327 FPS according to the ASC spring chart (which a lot of other sites use BTW, such as Redwolf).

A stock TM spring like someone else said will bring your gun down to below 300 (90 M/s = ~290 FPS).

Also keeping the spring compressed for a long period of time should break it in enough that it shoots lower although I don't think that's recommended so only use that as a last resort if you're only a few FPS above the limit.
Old August 11th, 2009, 19:20   #6
highny

What do you guys mean by installing a non linear spring backward.
highny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 20:28   #7
coach
aka coachster

the tighter coils are usually on the spring guide end. if you install it the other way around, some people have experienced a lower FPS
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 20:41   #8
Skladfin

it will shoot around 320 after a few hundred or thousand rounds.
Skladfin is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank