View Single Post
Old October 27th, 2009, 09:25   #6
m102404
Tys

Signing Up For Games - What's Expected From You

If you stick around ASC long enough, you'll see occasional flare ups regarding attendance, scheduling and participation of games. Here are some highlights and some tips for avoiding the subsequent shit storms:

1. Shoot'em Ups vs. Structured Events
There are two main types of games...Shoot'em Ups and Structured Games.

Shoot'em Ups - These are the more casual easy going games. Often not much more than just an arranged time/place for guys to get together and wail on each other. Lots of shooting, some loose tactics and quite often, lots of fun. Camo/BDU setups might not matter, teams are usually split right at the start to balance things out. Comms (radios) are often not needed. Simple games of straight elimination, attack/defend, etc... Typically no ammo/loadout limits.

Structured Events- These are events that often planned months in advance. Teams are sorted out well ahead of time, they are usually run on a schedule. Mission objectives and briefings are the norm. C&C structure, comms, maps, etc...are usually deployed in full force. Teams are usually broken down into squads, squads usually organize themselves and coordinate firepower/roles so things are covered off most effeciently. They are not all MilSims (Military Simulations)...they can be highly organized Zombie Nights, Terminator games (complete with glowing red eyes!!), etc... Typically there are load out and ammo rules.

Shoot'em ups are like checkers...Structured Events are like chess.

So...why all the fuss?!? For Shoot'em Ups, it's so easy going that most times as long as there's a minimum number of people that show up (some fields won't give you space unless min numbers are met)...it really doesn't matter if you confirm in advance or not. The Game Host (Host) doesn't do much more than book the place and try to help new guys get sorted out. If you commit to going...and then don't go...the game will probably continue on. NOTE: It's still f*cking rude to commit and then to just not show...you should post as soon as possible that you're pulling out. Hosts need to think about how to make the games enjoyable for all...and it does make a difference if 15 guys show up vs. 35. But for Shoot'em Ups....the game's still going to be the same.

For Structured Events...flaky attendance can really make or break the event. Quite often the scenario necessitates that there's a player cap/limit on one or both sides. If numbers of guys pull out (or WORSE just don't show up), leave early, etc....the scenario stands a good chance of falling apart. This is like a big kick in the nuts to the Host/Organizers...basically a big "f*ck you very much for all the time you've put into this". It's also a disappointment to your teammates who have been counting on your support/efforts for months...and for your Opposition of the day, who are looking for a solid challenging fight (and then smiles all around afterwards).

What Can/Should You Do?
- Don't bother posting "Tentative", "I might make it out", "We'll see if I can get out of work", "Hope to see you guys".....It doesn't help firm up numbers for bookings, it doesn't help with planning, it doesn't help with anything.

- Simply confirm "IN" if you are sure that you can make it. When you confirm IN, you are taking an available slot away from everyone else and reserving it for yourself. (This is critical in some Structured Events). You are making a firm committment that you will be there, be on time, be ready for the game and stay for the whole game.

The Host is counting on your attendance, your teammates are counting on that and your opposition is counting on that.

* For some games you need to confirm your attendance, what team you're signing up for, and what role you'll be filling. Simply confiming "IN" is not enough in these cases...you need to read the mission brief (usually the first couple of posts) and confim enough details so the Host knows where to slot you.

- Real life stuff comes up...that's just life. So...If you have committed to a game and taken a spot....it is curteous and helpfull for everyone involved if you simply post up to the thread (or PM the organizer) and pull yourself out. It might not be necessary to detail how you need to take your dog to get de-wormed...a simple "OUT" usually does the trick.

- If you need to pull OUT...please try to do it as much in advance as possible. There are often guys waiting for your/any spot to free up. Most people have an inkling of what they're doing at least two days ahead of time...and that's enough time. Pulling OUT at midnight before the game or the morning of...is not.

Consequences of Being a Flake:
- If you're habitually unreliable....be prepared for your "teammates" to dis-clude you from any organizational planning. Not really a fulfilling way to be part of the team. Getting the cold shoulder from everyone is just not fun.

- If you're habitually unreliable...be prepared to be refused entry into some games. You'll be on the Hosts' "Sh*t List" and/or you'll be politely asked not to attend.

- I have no idea how long some hosts may keep you on their "Sh*t list"...for some it may be permanent. For others it may be just for critical games.

- Some Hosts' lists are likely to be posted publically. Either in the After Action Report (AAR) or noted somewhere else. They might be shared between hosts...there is an Ontario Field Owners and Game Hosts group section...and there is a Denial of Service list there.

Here's a great bit written by an Ottawa guy (I've * the swearing so as not to offend the censors). If you're new to things and are interested in Structured Games...it's worth reading at least twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex View Post
My two cents for what it's worth is this:

This past season we started a website just for the LZ. We integrated a self register system that was designed by Smith so that people could sign up for games on the teams they wanted, or add themselves to a waiting list. You could move yourself around and join the other team or remove yourself completely.

The sad part is people would show up that did not sign up, and people didnt remove themselves in a timely manner if they had to bail. I kept a list of the chronic deserters and know who they are.

Pre pay was an option we tossed around but never implemented simply because it's not a guarantee someone will show up. Sure we got your money regardless but big deal, it's not about the money. It's about the sheer lack of commitment and childish behavior that is forcing us to close the doors next year and only let in a few people.

Yep the noobs are stuck and probably will not get invited in unless they are brought in by a respected/invited individual. I could give a rats ass if you don't have a car. Sort your sh*t out long before game day.

We are all supposed to be adults in the sport but more and more I see childish 20 somethings ruining it for everyone. Grow the f*ck up, take some responsibility for your actions or inactions and move forward. If you cant sort your sh*t out don't expect any sympathy from me or any other game host/field owner. Your f*cking with them and that's not cool. I'm not in this to wipe noses and spoon feed anyone.

Bottom line the immaturity and lack of commitment is what lead to the LZ being shut down to the public. My time is worth more than money just like yours so quit f*cking with it and everyone else's. Ottawa is Unique in that we do not have the player base like Toronto or Calgary, Vancouver etc. So if you sign up for a game and don't show, it does effect the rest of us that were able to get our old fat asses out of bed and run all day having fun in the sun/rain.

I just don't get this lazy f*cking attitude displayed by a very large number of fairly new players. We gave you all the tools to sign up, coordinate a ride, rent a gun, buy gear but it just didn't work because the commitment wasn't there to begin with.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote