View Single Post
Old August 25th, 2019, 20:20   #3
john3302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spengler View Post
I picked up a KWC CO2 model from Toronto Airsoft for $180: https://www.torontoairsoft.com/KWC-D...ER_p_2108.html

I love the look, the size, the heft. It feels substantial and intimidating, and really stands out on the field where I play, where small black handguns are the order of the day. The metal slide sounds sublime as you send it home, and the mag release is buttery-smooth. Cocking the hammer doesn't feel "springy;" instead, you get a few clicks as your thumb puts it in place. And, of course, firing it? With that blowback and the sound of the slide? I can only get so erect.

It runs on CO2 so maybe I should just keep a hex key and some spare ampoules in one of my pouches... I haven't counted how many mags I get out of one CO2 ampoule, but I think it's at least two full mags and a bit of the third. I have a match tomorrow; I'll try to keep track of that for you if you'd like.

Sure, it probably won't get you the best FPS, ROF, range, accuracy, group out of all the more, shall we say, reasonable sidearms on the market, but you don't get a Desert Eagle to be practical. Or even tactical. You get it because it's fun. And brother, drawing and firing this beast is fun. (Hell, even reloading it is, with the smooth mag release and the satisfying music of the slide.)

Every time I field mine, both friendlies and enemies always give me props and ask to try it between rounds. Their faces light up when they fire off a single shot. And when I tell them to go ahead and dump the mag, it's like Christmas morning.

Obviously, the KWC one isn't the highest-quality or most fully-featured model, but you wouldn't expect that for only one-eighty. The slide and mag are metal, but the rest of the body isn't. (Don't let that make you think it's super-cheap-feeling, though.) It only fires in semi-auto; it lacks the full-auto firing mode of certain Desert Eagle models. The safety is really tight (I have use my off-hand to set it to semi; it's too tight to just flip with my thumb), but that might be a plus.

The mag release feels buttery-smooth, but that also meant that my mag fell out during a match and I didn't even notice. My squad and I searched the forest after and managed to find it, but I've since used a strip of tape around the mag to get rid of the looseness in the magwell so I have to manually pull it out now rather than press the release button and have it drop deliciously into my hand.

Finding holsters hasn't really been an issue. I have three pistol holsters and all of them can fit my Desert Eagle, even a cheap $10 one I got off Toronto Airsoft and the default pistol holster that came with a cheap $60 Armist vest I used to run.

Here's a comparison video of the KWC version and the WE model. The dude has reviewed them each individually, as well, I think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScrFuKRAqiE

I don't have any of the other models, so I can't comment on those.
Thanks. I read the KWA gas model was crap but the Co2 model was good. I also read the earlier full auto version would break a lot.

The Cybergun WE model has more metal, and is a lot heavier than the KWA. It may feel better but more weight and big blow back means less accuracy. It also cost $100 more. The Tokyo Mauri model is green gas and like the KWA model, only has a metal slide. The TM model also recommends using a hard to find type of special green gas. The TM model cost about $120 more than the KWA model and seems to be out of stock most of the time.

I am leaning towards the KWA model because green gas does not work well in the cold and Co2 has a bigger blow back.

I agree the Desert Eagle may not be the most practical but with a powerful blow back, it sounds like the most fun. How long have you owned yours?
I was wondering about durability?
john3302 is offline   Reply With Quote