View Single Post
Old July 4th, 2009, 02:01   #26
FlyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copcarman View Post
Actually, i'm sure it's a UHF because I use it to pick up fire/police on those freqs. I bought it primarily as a police scanner(without transmit codes), but was wondering if I could use it for other applications.

Thanks anyway
Police & Fire are NOT necessarily or exclusively using UHF frequencies so again, I would say that unless you can provide a more accurate part number/model number/fitted option number/etc. description to go on, the "Kenwood TK-230" is supposed to be a VHF radio. Besides, if memory serves, 417-420 MHz is not allocated to mobile services in Canada but rather fixed, point-to-point links.

That said, others have mentioned some popular choices but I personally would stick to IC-certified radio equipment (Yaesu/Vertex, Midland, Kenwood Canada, ICOM, Motorola etc.) or the commonly available blister-pack type of FRS/GMRS radios rather than un-certified offshore clones having dubious spectral purity at best. In fact, I'd love to put one of these "Wang Chun" (sic) brands on the bench at work and take some measurements with a spectrum analyzer. I probably won't be all that suprised with what I find...

Good luck with your search,

'Fly...out

Team GHOSTS - Fides et Amicitia
G-68

"Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted Just an earth-bound misfit, I"

Learning To Fly
© 1986 Pink Floyd

Last edited by FlyGuy; October 14th, 2010 at 10:15..
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote