View Single Post
Old June 3rd, 2013, 09:54   #7
Rabbit
formerly FrankieCees, Remylebeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by pestobanana View Post
I've used Lonex, CA, G&G and VFC hop up units. I find the unit itself makes no difference, as long as you tune them all. I have had no FPS changes from switching hop up units, and no accuracy benefits from changing out a plastic unit to a metal one.

I use a Modify moundless hop up rubber, and a Prometheus bridge tensioner.
There probably isn't a hop up combination I HAVENT tried these days (with the exception of bridge/rhops) and I can tell you, you DO get various results by changing out units - they all dont have the same dimensions and they all dont seal the same either.

You also have to take into consideration nozzle to hop up seal as well which is one of the main causes of air leaks - this is why I always try and match nozzle and hop up unit brands.

When it comes to hop up sleeves, the rule of thumb is soft sleeves for 400fps and less - Hard sleeves for anything over 400. (Some will actually say soft 350fps and lower and hard for 350fps and above.)

I've had nothing but horrible results in air seal with the PDI-W hold in various units - teflon tape is a MUST.

The most consistent results in fps have ALWAYS come from using a Prometheus Purple and ARS for me.

The best combination I have ever used for a consistent 395fps have been a combination of a Cyma Nozzle, Cyma unit and a Prometheus Purple sleeve and purple nub - its just a shame the Cyma m4 unit does not fit in all guns (does not work with my King Arms m4 receiver currently)

Currently I am using the Prometheus Neo chamber, prometheus purple sleeve and nub at a very consistent 363fps.

Edit: If you are curious about range - hands down the best range I have ever had was from the ICS hop up unit using a stock 247mm barrel (ICS CXP) easily over 200 feet with stock sleeve and stock nub.

Barrel length/bore will get you accuracy but will do nothing for range which is the conclusion I have come to - hop up unit/arm engagement is KEY.

If you look at the Lonex hop up adjustment arm, it is MUCH different than most standard arms - also wider (I can't even get this unit to mesh with various receivers and nozzles - always seems to air leak yielding much lower fps compared to another unit in the same AEG)

In conclusion there are MANY variables when it comes to selecting a consistent match for hop up units and everything else used in conjuction.

Last edited by Rabbit; June 3rd, 2013 at 10:20..
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote