View Single Post
Old February 13th, 2020, 17:28   #2
Datawraith

Z (Pestobanana here on ASC) will probably chime in here at some point in time or another. Listen to him if he does.

I'll cover what you're asking first and then give my personal recommendations.

AEGs pretty much have outstripped PTWs entirely; our gearboxes and barrel groups can be tuned to give us really consistent shots and be extremely reliable with minimal maintenance. I believe RHop benefits are more for consistency and a flatter trajectory than conventional hops (which helps with perceived increased range).

There's a few fire control units that give excellent trigger response; I personally like the BTC Spectre/Chimera the most but others seem to have some success with the GATE Titan or Jefftron Leviathan.

As for brands, there's a lot of options and it depends on the platform. If you're looking for an AR/M4 with the nicest externals with a quality gearbox, VFC is still the best brand. A nice reliable out of the box AR would be Maple Armouries. Their ARs come somewhat pre-upgraded and performs decently. If you're looking for an AK with decent externals and a quality gearbox, LCT is my recommendation. AFAIK, Real Sword AKs are nicer externally but they have some quirks with the internals. VFC AKs are beautiful externally but they're rare as hell as they've been discontinued since forever.

As for adjusting FPS, some options have quick spring change but that term covers a lot. For some systems, it means a single screw needs to be undone and the spring can be swapped. For others, it may mean the gearbox has a screw on the back that holds the spring in, but may require the gearbox to be removed from the receiver to change the spring. Neither of my ARs have any of that capability (old school VFC ARs) but I haven't really ever needed to change my springs (I just run all my guns at 375 fps; low enough for indoors at Siege and high enough for good performance outdoors).

Since you say you have no problem spending money and don't need realism, I'd say get a high quality base gun and hit up Z at Blackblitz in Cambridge and just have him do a full ZTW build for you (I've got one and it's awesome; they are expensive though). Get a VFC if you want an AR/M4 or a LCT if you want an AK. If you want a subgun, VFC has a new MP5 released or ASG has the CZ Scorpion which is pretty good out of the box.

The sport has changed a lot since PTWs reigned supreme. There's a lot of good guns on the market now; I think you'll like the new stuff available. Happy hunting!
Datawraith is offline   Reply With Quote