View Single Post
Old November 11th, 2014, 15:41   #14
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

the biggest one is PACING.

you don't sprint through a marathon.

A long game is about who's left standing at the end and still able to fight, not who can rack up the most km traveled and kills early in the game.

Never run when you can walk, never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lay down, never lay down when you can sleep.

If you can sit and reload, then you sit and reload. Better if you can get your feet elevated to let the fluids come out of your legs, feet tend to swell. In a long rest period, try taking your boots off when you elevate your feet.

Of course hydration is important, so carry fluids with you. Don't overload yourself, take only what you need onto the field. Ammo, water, radio. Anything else is not needed unless otherwise stated, as in the field is big enough to get lost in, so you may require a compass or map. Otherwise, if the game doesn't call for it, you generally won't need it.

Properly geared/dressed for the weather. Ever weigh yourself with all your shit on you? It might not seem like a lot when you hit the field at first, but over the course of several hours, every ounce and every pound you carry with you will fatigue you faster. When you start running around and it starts sucking up sweat, it'll get heavier.

IF you're at a safezone/forward base milsim, you don't need to carry all of your shit. You can deal with carrying a couple snacks rather than a full mre. Come back to eat. But snack if you need it. High energy stuff that won't make you sugar crash... nuts and stuff like that.

Every litre of water is 2.2 pounds. Ask yourself i you want to carry 3L of water with you at all times? Most of the time you don't need to. If you're properly hydrated, you can still go down with heat exhaustion.

Carry enough to get you back to the safezone/hq so you can fill up again. I went from 2.5 down to 1 - 1.5L with me. Sip at your bladder, drink when you get back to base. Fill the bladder when it needs filling.

I advocate a cooler with ice to have cold drinks, this helps fight off heat exhaustion. A cold drink can turn a situation around very quickly.

Avoid sugary snacks and drinks. Gatorade and such is fine but it's really just sugar water, the actual amount of electrolyte in sports drinks are very low. I have gatorade to maybe a 3-1 ratio. 3L of water to every 1 of sport drink. I stick around that ratio for the whole game.

Actual electrolyte supplements and water will probably help more than sport drinks, potassium is the big one, it will prevent cramps. For me the second is magnesium, my muscles get twitchy when I'm low. Low calcium also contributes to twitchyness. You can just pick up a bottle of potassium and or magnesium (or magnesium citrate) from the drug store and bring a few tabs with you. Sodium is so common in our diets I doubt anyone would ever need to supplement it. Don't go super crazy there's no ODing on potassium or magnesium, but it can give you the shits.

Calcium and sodium are usually things we get enough of already, so take care in supplementing them.

Last edited by lurkingknight; November 11th, 2014 at 15:53..
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote