View Single Post
Old April 3rd, 2016, 19:10   #10
Magwell

I received a few PM's about the wiring set up on the box mags so the following is a short DIY on what I have done. Note that this wiring system runs the box mag in tandem with the gearbox so it has two wires running from the motor to a connector which attaches to the box mag.

Step 1: Disassembly.

1A - remove the two screws on the underside of the gearbox.

1B - remove the screw holding you magazine insert together.

1C - Remove the boxmag internals.

1D - desolder and remove all wiring.

Step 2: Modification

2A - Drill a new hole in the magazine insert for the wires to exit and connect to the gun. This could be done in many locations but the one pictured is how i decided to route my wires.

Step 3: Wiring

3A - Solder your new wiring in place. Make sure to check which terminal is positive and which is negative on your specific gearbox as it may be different than mine.

3B - If using an active brake mosfet, wire in a rectifier diode to the negative wiring. What this diode does is only allows current to flow in one direction, effectively preventing the reverse polarity from the active brake mosfet from doing anything to the box mag. If you are not using an active brake mosfet, disregard this step. Any 1N4001 to 1N4007 diode will be sufficient.

3C - If you used the diode in the above step, cover it with heat shrink. After that solder the negative wire to the negative motor terminal and run both the positive and negative wires together to the notch shown below. Leave slack so the wires are not tight (ie would get ripped off the motor contact if pulled) and use electrical tape or hot glue to secure them in place if desired. If using a long strand of heat shrink to keep everything tidy, this would be the time to apply it.

3D - run the wires through the same coil spring that housed the microphone wires, then through the hole you drilled in step 2A. Measure out enough wire to reach the mag insert and have some slack inside the box mag. Wrap some tape (or hot glue) the wiring as shown to prevent it from getting pulled through the hole.

Step 4: Reassembly

4A - reassemble your box mag. Feed the new wiring and half of the magazine insert through the hole in the box mag along with all the springs. Attach that U shaped filler back in place once the entire mechanism is back inside the box by seating the back end in place, and applying pressure to the front then pushing up. It should click into place. Re install the two screws removed in step 1A then put the magazine insert back together with the screw removed in step 1B

Step 5: Final Wiring

5A - Install the box mag to your 249 and route the wire from the magazine insert to the power source coming from your gearbox/battery/mosfet. Cut the wire to length and solder it to the connector of your choosing, preferably DEANS.

Last edited by Magwell; April 22nd, 2018 at 15:02..
Magwell is offline   Reply With Quote