View Single Post
Old March 10th, 2010, 12:16   #45
coach
aka coachster

Update:

I had to redo 2 of 4 TM mk23 socom and 1 WE p14 mag. Not sure why or how they developed a small leak.

I had a few Well G55 (mp5k) mags and could not fix their inherent output valve leaks. Even with new high flow valves, I could not get them to hold gas properly. It's possible that the valves were not 100% to spec and or the mags are made inconsistently. 1 of 3 mags held gas over night with the original flow valve. None of the 3 held gas when I got them. 2 were brand new in the packaging but the main seal likely dried beyond rehydrating with silicone.

This week I worked on a SCAR GBBR mag. Original owner forgot to store them with gas, over the entire winter. Standard silly oil bath did not work. Took a lot more sealant to seal it up than an average GBB mag. I usually squeeze a 1 inch length of sealant on my work surface and it's typically enough to do 2-3 GBB mags. I ended up using a little more than 2x 1 inch lengths. All I did was apply it around the entire channel the rubber ring sits in and then spread more over it.

---------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
So once everything is cured, the floorplate is basically "glued" into the mag? Or does that stuff separate easily?
Update:

No, the floor plate is not essentially glued to the mag. it will separate with some effort but not difficult at all. I had to use a small jewellers flat head screwdriver to pry/coax the floor plate to release but it wasn't so hard that it caused any damage to the mag itself. Only thing you need to be careful with is that you clean out every little bit of old sealant as the bits will end up getting stuck in your GBB. I went as far as to wash them with mild soap and water.

I'm going to add that before sealing your mag, to wash it with a mild soap to eliminate all signs of silicon oil. I have a theory that too much oil causes the sealant not to stay put too well so I will do this from now on. **Once it cures, please do remember to add silicon oil back into the mag via your gas fills. You will still need it for your fill and flow valves plus to lubricate your GBB.

Last edited by coach; March 10th, 2010 at 12:25..
coach is offline   Reply With Quote