View Single Post
Old August 7th, 2016, 21:08   #7
shreddybear

Thanks for sharing everyone.

I should have mentioned that I am also going for a flat trajectory (straight shot from barrel to target). I can get more range if I dial the hop in more, but then I have to aim lower for targets within. Are your trajectories flat?

Very much appreciate the detail and how fast you all chimed in. I know I'm not getting everything I can out of my setup. I will keep tinkering! Any advice or anyone with experience with the Tippmann, I'm all ears.

Thanks again everyone,
-Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger11 View Post
If you are shootign 2j on .3's at 370-380 FPS then you are joule creeping, right to about the same as 480 ish on .2's which isn't good.

At about 400 FPS on .3's I am hitting 260 feet with a 6.03 barrel no problem.
Yeah, the FPS is high. We are good with MEDs however, so it's not been an issue. If I can make a more effective hop, to actually make better use of the power, that would be great. Thanks for chiming in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
Yep about 275-300 foot on a 400 ish fps gun. Once I flat or bridge hop and stick some .3 -.36 in it. Barrel doesn't really matter much as my mp5k could reach near as far as my m4 with a 455mm.
My bolt action at 500fps cam reach 500 foot range but I'd say 400 foot is likely more consistently achieved. Keep in mind that there will be arching with a bolt action. Running a flat trajectory at 200 feet is where I zero my scope. But the bb flies in an arch. Really thought to get flat AND hit long ass ranges at the fps limits we use. Now 700 fps that can fly pretty far prety flat with some .66
Thanks for sharing!

I've zero'd my sights to the 200ft range as well. I can have the BBs travel farther consistently if I dial the hop in more, but then I have to lower my aim for targets around the 80ft-100ft. Ideally, I'd love to get the farthest possible flat trajectory out of this thing. I don't mind the power it's at, but wouldn't want to go higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
Systema PTW M4 CQB (395 FPS on 0.20g BBs/Below 1.5j)
- Turnigy-Nanotech 11.1v lipo
- Stock barrel (6.04mm)
- Green Devil 0.30g BBs (295 FPS)

= 250 plus feet consistently

Arcing BBs? That's lame. Also, make sure your gun is under energy limits for your local field. HPA units joule-creep like crazy.
Nice, thanks for sharing.

Mostly play on a friend's farm. We follow the BB Bastard MEDs. Not arcing BBs myself until the target is beyond 200ft. I can turn the hopup a bit more to get +200ft shots, but then have to compensate for closer targets--shooting nothing within 50ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post

Your effective range should be equal to your maximum range.
And at 2j, you should be in the 300-350ft range, so clearly there's not enough hop being applied to the BB, which I think is actually a common known fault of the tippmann? I could be wrong but I think there's a mod to fix it.
Thanks for the info!

I should have mentioned I was going for a flat trajectory. I can achieve longer distances when I dial in the hop a bit more, but then have to adjust my aiming for targets within. Do you hit those ranges with a flat trajectory?

I've actually put a flat hop in the tippmann. I think I just might not have tinkered enough with it to reach full potential. I might try some heavier bbs than .3s. Then I'll try dialing the hop in more. I wonder if the heavier ammo will help flatten the trajectory when the hop is dialed in more...

What do you mean by maximum range? It's my understanding that any maximum range would require one to arc the gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
240ft @ 1j /w .30g bb
260ft @ 1.37j /w .30g bb

All trajectories are flat, using flat hops with G&G green buckings in prometheus barrels

Awesome, thanks!

Thanks for mentioning flat trajectory. I should have mentioned that above. That's what I'm going for anyway, the longest possible effective range with a flat trajectory.

Last edited by shreddybear; August 7th, 2016 at 21:14.. Reason: typo
shreddybear is offline   Reply With Quote