View Single Post
Old November 11th, 2014, 14:21   #11
talon

Realistically, it's about simply not quitting. That, at the end of it, is how to accomplish 24 hour games. 24 hours is not an especially long period of time, and at all the 24 games I've been to, night time has generally been fairly restful, for at least a couple of hours. Most people tend to peter out during this time, with only a few roving squads actually able to continue through the entire period.

Fitness level certainly plays a part in the not quitting department, as it can make longer term commitments more comfortable, but it's all in the mind.

Firestorm XXX has the right idea, in that it's up to your command to designate proper rest rotation and feed times. If command isn't doing this, then it's up to your squad leader to step in and impose a rest rotation. Calories are important to consume, obviously, but we carry around so much fat with us that there's plenty there when we need it. I don't know how many calories are burned at your typical game (colder games certainly burn more, as does carrying heavy stuff and long patrols), but I don't think it's intense enough for anyone to really bonk or hit the wall. I've never found that there is such a continuous strain on the glycogen system to completely deplete sugar reserves to the point of bonking or wall hitting, especially as I keep some Gatorade on hand.

I have found, however, that while I don't really eat all that much during games where I am active the whole time (sometimes as little as 1000 calories), in the next few days I am a roving monster eating everything in sight, likely in a state of caloric deficiency.

Hydration is certainly important, but you can train to fight without needing as much too. You've got to figure out how much comfort you need to keep you capable and willing to not quit. For some it's a few moments sleep when the opportunity avails, or others it's coffee and fresh fruit.

All of these factors will absolutely make a difference in your level of performance, but to simply make it through to the end, all it takes is a not quitting mindset.
talon is offline   Reply With Quote