View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2005, 00:25   #9
MadMax
Delierious Designer of Dastardly Detonations

Location: in the dark recesses of some metal chip filled machine shop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
it's stuff like this that makes me want a M870 or M1100 again! damn you for making me want one again.

I do agree on the 3bb's from a shotgun is not enough! How did you fix the failed components? did you just make new ones out of a stronger metal?
The broken shell carrier was fixed by riveting a piece of sheet steel shaped similarly to the part that broke off. I had to modify the trigger bits to accept the different horizontal spacing of the part, but it works as well as the original one now.

The busted valve body was fixed with a machined back plate. The original one had only 3 cross screws placed close to the rear edge of the valve body. The holes cracked backwards. The new back plate puts the set screws further forward to give more metal to hang onto. I put the oring ahead of the setscrew holes so seal. I also cast urethane right into the part to do away with the separate rubber part in the stock part. I found that the thing kept getting unseated when shooting at high pressure. I run my shotty at 260psi so it was a serious problem. A stiffer hammer spring is required to bash open the valve.

A custom valve stem increases the port area significantly. I guess I have a port area about triple of the stock one with this one.

MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote