View Single Post
Old November 8th, 2018, 18:44   #15
riley_A

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewpew69 View Post
I have seen a few of them here actually. I guess what I'm wondering is are those ones (sold here and on facebook) still under ITAR meaning I wouldn't be able to take them into the US or outside of Canada.

I think I saw on GSCI that their goggles are not ITAR so they can be transported around.

I assume those on here and those facebook groups were illegally taken from the US to Canada or perhaps they got some kind of export permit (of course this is a public forum so if what I am asking is illegal then send me a PM, I am just not sure what the laws are and want clarification).

I have read on a RS forum that ITAR restrictions will also be changing soon.
When people outside of the US advertise devices as ITAR free they're implying that they are purchasable by individuals outside of the US. However many "ITAR-free" devices will still fall under ITAR restrictions if they were to be brought into the states. When dealing with ITAR it does matter what the place of origin of the item was, all that matters is whether or not the device falls under ITAR restrictions when you try to leave the US, even if you brought the device in legally. So even though GSCI advertises their devices as ITAR free, if you brought most of their devices to the states you technically would not be able to bring them back out without an extensive amount of paperwork that is difficult to obtain.

Regarding the devices that you'll find here in Canada, you'd be hard pressed to have someone tell you how exactly those devices came into their possession. I like to assume that the devices were acquired legally, but we're in no position to accuse someone of illegally importing/exporting devices. Unless something is unquestionably stolen then I wont worry about it.
riley_A is offline   Reply With Quote