View Single Post
Old August 20th, 2019, 18:12   #18
Airmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Limey_Brit View Post
Afternoon chaps,
A word of caution to those who disregard this kind of political play- I'm from the UK. We had this similar situation about 15 years ago.

Funnily enough, political figures love banning things (because that stops bad guys) or at the very least imposing complex and flawed new 'protocols'.

Oddly enough, we have adopted a system that now works pretty well. In case you're not aware, we have 2 levels of "authentication" for Airsoft in the UK:

1) Being 18+ with a fixed address.
2) Criteria of .1) but also a documented, ID proven, skirmish site signed+stamped, externally approved, member of UKARA (United Kingdom Airsoft Retailer's Association).

If you don't have a valid UKARA (most common form to prove one is an airsofter) but are over 18 you fall into category 1 and you may purchase a half black, half bright green/yellow/pink/blue/red/orange gun. Also known as an IF (Imitation Firearm) in the UK.

If you've been through the simple checks and submitted paperwork you get a RIF (Realistic Imitation Firearm).

I personally have always been part of this ruling after starting 10 years ago. As a result I see it as a reasonably good system. It keeps those soccer moms happy their kids don't have easy access to realistic guns, the stricter controls pleases government and airsofters can continue with their hobby with minimal disruption.
That is exactly what is needed in BC. Lets face it, it's the wild west here, anyone under 18 can buy Airsoft without worry or cause of concern. Whether stores enforce the old rules is unknown ,but I bet today it is not.

I called the number on the letter and spoke to one of the folks regarding the matter of concern. It turns out that the BC Gov. is trying to get feed back from the BC airsoft community and still doing active research on issues with young people joining gang's but using Airsoft or other platforms to do crimes. The UKARA as suggested was actually one of the item I put forth today in my conversation with them.
The main concern is the sale to anyone under 18 as the younger age group is the area of concern with the BC gov. in terms of gang related issues. Their not wanting to ban or force us to colour our guns, just that there is no rules today in place regarding airsoft in BC other than importation rules in which is a federal regulation that the Canadian community had dealt with in the past, which the BC gov. is aware of. However the access to airsoft platforms in BC is a concern of theirs regarding gangs and those under 18. From what I got out of the conversation, it seems like the Ukara system would be ideal for this situation as the BC Gov. is looking for idea's from the BC community.

I encourage the BC Airsoft community to get involved with this matter as the BC Gov. haven't really gotten allot of feedback from us and the floor is still open for feedback from us.

(LMAG) http://www.lowermainlandairsoft.ca
Airmax is offline   Reply With Quote