View Single Post
Old December 6th, 2008, 13:35   #3
wey ferro

Here are some items you should consider carrying:
-M4 mags (depending on mission and anticipated threat the number could vary between 6 and 20 mags). I always carried one or two of these mags on my first line (in pockets or on trouser belt). We also carried an MRE box full of loaded mags, frags, and smokes in each vehicle. If the shit really hit the fan you had a stash to grab from. Keep the mags in their cloth bandoleers so that you can grab one and get away from the bullet magnet. I mean vehicle.
-3 to 6 sidearm mags (depending on caliber/magazine capacity)
-40mm grenades. If you have a 40mm grenade launcher carry as many golden eggs as you can. Then have twice that many more where you can get them quickly (vehicle, assault pack, etc.). These things are devastatingly effective for destroying enemy positions and breaking contact.
-Couple of frags
-Couple of smokes (the A.L.S. Tactical Coverage Pocket Smokes are a great option in a small package)
-Couple of bangs
-NOD (Night Observation Device). I'll talk more about these later.
-A handful of visible and IR chem-lights
-2 or 3 Liter hydration bladder.
-Very small first aid kit for everyday cuts and boo-boo's (band-aids, Neosporin, Tylenol, etc.). Make sure this is separated in some way from your trauma kit. Other wise you could inadvertently use up or otherwise misplace a potentially life saving piece of med kit.
-Small to medium trauma kit (with things like IV and starter kit, Quick Clot ACS [Advanced Clotting Sponge], tourniquet, and several blow out bandages). The Marine Corps and Army issued IFAK is a good starting point that you can build on. A more advanced kit or any specialty items should be carried in your RAID Pack.
- Dump pouch. It's not absolutely necessary, but can be useful for when you need a convenient place to secure different items that are not part of your normal kit. Prisoner searches, demo charges, and empty magazines come to mind. I like the style made by Eagle Industries or Recce Gear that fold up compactly on your belt until it is needed.
-GPS. Make sure to play with it a lot before you need it. These are an excellent navigation tool, but if you are not totally confident in their use they can be confusing. They can also be deadly if used incorrectly during "Call for Fire" missions.
-Compass and map. Once again, make sure you're confident with these before you need them. You don't need a huge military style compass. One of the simple, lightweight hiking versions will do just fine for most situations.
-Day/Night signaling devices (9 volt strobe, whistle, orange signal panel, mirror, etc.). It might be a good idea to keep these on your first line too.
-Administrative pouch or pocket containing waterproof notepad, pen, and pencil. Always have these handy for note taking.
-Squad/Team radio.
-"Leatherman" style multi-tool. This should probably be at the top of the list after your mags. I have no idea how soldiers got by before these were invented. They must have carried around a tool box or broken a lot of pocket knife blades. I like the Gerber Multi-tool. It's fairly inexpensive (I've seen the standard model at Walmart before for less than $30) and I like that you can deploy the pliers one handed.
-Very small flashlight. (i.e. Inova Microlight).
-Cigarette lighter (a Bic is fine. The Zippo lighters are nearly worthless except to barter with.)
-Handful of lickies and chewies. Besides the fact that everybody loves a good piece of candy when their chips are down, they can be perfect when you develop a hacking cough right in the middle of a night time patrol.

It's a lot of stuff and it gets heavy when you wear it all day, but this kind of work isn't for the weak or feint of heart. You'll get used to it. The flip side of that is that you want to remain mobile in case you have to move around quickly. Work very carefully to establish a balance between too much gear and not enough. Use your RAID Pack as a carry all for bulky, heavy, or "extra" items and just leave it in your vehicle where it is still accessible and easily retrieved. Distribute squad items amongst your men so that everybody carries an equitable load.

-Rucksack. I like the MOLLE II Rucksack. Specifically, I like the MOLLE II Large with the Generation III frame (to differentiate it from the older style, the latest GenIII frame is molded in either OD or Khaki instead of Black). It is economically priced, comfortable, and durable. I took the issued MOLLE II ruck to Iraq with me and it never let me down. The MOLLE II Large was born from comments that came directly from the field and is basically the next iteration of the original MOLLE design. The Generation III frame is also the latest evolution of the MOLLE design and is much, MUCH more durable than the previous variants. If money is no object, then I highly recommend the Kifaru MMR, www.kifaru.net. It is covered from top to bottom in PALS webbing for use with any of the current MOLLE compatible pockets. The Kifaru MMR also has a huge edge in long term comfort. It is an internal frame design and rides extremely well regardless of the amount of weight it carries. The load will be heavy and it will suck, don't get me wrong, but the Kifaru frames are excellent at properly distributing the weight. You may be limited to what you are allowed to use because of uniformity, but if you are issued MOLLE then the MOLLE Large will work fine. If you are still issued the ALICE Pack, then I highly recommend sending it off to www.tacticaltailor.com to have it strengthened and improved. If you are a PSD or civilian contractor consider investing in a nondescript, heavy-duty set of luggage. Stay away from all black travel items. It screams security team. Try a nice paisley set…

-If you're doing any low visibility protection or security work where you can only wear concealed soft armor, you should consider taking a plate carrier. This will allow you to instantly upgrade your armor level to protect against rifle threats by just throwing it on over your soft armor. Just leave it in the vehicle until it is needed. They're all about the same, but Eagle Industries makes a good one at a good price. The SO Tech Callahan vest is also quite versatile. It combines a plate carrier with a removable chest harness. It's pretty neat.

-E&E Kit (Escape and Evasion kit). This is something that you will probably have to put together yourself, but the guys at www.prosurvivalkit.com also make some really good ones. It should include just the essentials you would need to survive if on your own for a unknown period of time in a given setting. Meaning, it should be specifically tailored to your environment and mission. Some suggestions are: small supply of high energy food (MRE, sport bars, and the like), means to collect food locally (fishing line, hooks, snares, etc.), cash in local currency and/or American money, signaling devices (strobe, whistle, mirror, etc.), small medical kit, small amount of water or means to collect water (purifying tablets, solar still, etc.), solar blanket, etc. Some neat items I've just heard about are the Hydration Tech Forward Osmosis pouches found at www.hydrationtech.com. They can turn muddy, bacteria ridden swamp water into drinkable water in a few hours with no mixing, pumping, or moving parts. Some people will say a full-blown E&E kit is essential, but depending on your mission you may not need a duffel bag full of survival kit. Think Bravo Two Zero compared to Blackhawk Down; A week of surviving on your own as opposed to 18 hours of surviving on your own. Your mission and environment will dictate what you need to carry. Me personally? I kept one stripped down MRE, $300 in American currency (small bills; $1's, $10's, and $20's), very small medical kit, 9 volt IR strobe, orange lightweight SERE panel, and a small lightweight solar blanket (mirrored on one side, brownish-tan on the other) on me at all times. After I stripped down the MRE, I put the other items back into the MRE pouch, re-sealed it with 100-mile-an-hour tape, and kept it in one of my cargo pockets. Since then, I have found out about the Regular and Large versions of CSM Gear's Fanny Pack www.csmgear.com They are a great way to carry an E&E kit or other miscellaneous items. The Kifaru E&E Pack is also a pretty good choice for a larger kit and, through the use of side release buckles, can be clipped (or "Dock and Lock"-ed as Kifaru calls it) to the outside of your pack for quick access and easy removal.