View Single Post
Old June 17th, 2016, 12:01   #13
viraL
Envies Disaster_Piece's hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock0 View Post
Good info thanks.

Aside from the device itself, can you talk about required accessories? Mounts, lasers, counterweight, etc.

I have always been curious - can you use NODS with full seal goggles? Or would they sit too far away from the eye? Do you need low pro eye protection like Oakley M frames, Revision Exoshield, Boogie regulator, etc. ?
Counterweights can be as simple as you need. I have lent 1911 CO2 mags to Deltastone for a counterweight for a dual PVS14 mount. Required 4, but it worked.

There are quite a few companies that make them.. very popular are the EOG counterweights. They are not a requirement but anything to help balance them out works really well.

Mounts - you can go as simple as USGI J Arm. There are a bunch of upgrade options after this.. old norotos titanium mounts, AKA2, INVG, then we go into Wilcox territory with L4Gxx models, standard for "best system for monocular" these days is L4G24 with Wilcox J Arm or Norotos Dual Dovetail.

The USGI J arm works fine for many airsofters, even better when you have ESS or low profile full seal - just jam the monocular against the goggle and it works pretty good. Obviously upgrade options are better, more stable and more reliable, hold the NOD at a better angle when flipped up, and in the case of the INVG gives you different ranges of motion with the arm to circumvent vehicles (low ceiling) etc. No best way - but everything is better than a J Arm.

As far as lasers go - they are not a requirement but damn they are cool. Anything class 1 FDA approved will be good. I believe the current standard is 0.7 mW for eye safe lasers. LDI products like OTAL ITAL etc are good to go. PAQ4C is only eye safe mode, PEQ2A/PEQ15 etc all have high power eye melting modes, but also eye safe training modes. Illumination is a great function too from some models like DBALs.

Generally having white-light and IR available is a plus. Inforce WML is the cheapest to do both of these, higher priced version do it a bit better. Surefire has many options (I use a surefire M952V, love it).

Weapon sights are a great investment as well. Stuff that has an NV mode (eotech, aimpoint, holosun) are critical. This will allow you to engage targets WITHOUT throwing your laser on and giving away your position. This is the standard now for ontario airsoft, a lot of players are moving away from using Lasers as primary aiming device, and for good reason.

Hope that sheds some light on some of your questions brock0