Thread: AK vs M4 (AR)
View Single Post
Old October 10th, 2018, 14:18   #14
Jolly_Green

AK vs AR...

Quick and dirty answer, if you've narrowed it down to VFC and LCT for your choices then you really wont be disappointed in either. They are top of the line in respects to each platform and have the same performance potential imo.

Personal experience. Ive been running LCT AK's now for 2 years, I ran an upgraded King Arms M16 prior to that. I have a VFC SCAR-L which I love but its not fair performance comparison to my LCT as it hasn't been given the same attention in regards to upgrades. So the comparison will be made between the King Arms and LCT, both of which are upgraded internally.

In regards to upgrades, M4 has way more parts available, but AK ive found to be easier and cheaper to upgrade to my standard. Both systems in my experience have the same performance potential though. A good quality barrel and hop up on my LCT has yielded great results and satisfied my performance needs for a long time. That being said my old M16 shot fantastic as well, I just needed to spend a little more time and money getting it to that point.

As far as gear and kit wise its kinda hard to compare. If you build a western themed kit for AK its gonna be a little trickier. Mags are and bigger and bulkier and your gonna spend more getting plate carriers and chest rigs intended for M4 platforms to work with your AK kit, not impossible by any means but just not ideal. It goes the opposite way though as well. If your kit is russian themed you're gonna find everything is designed to work with AK and it will be easy to set up a kit, M4 can work but like I said before it wont be ideal. I wouldn't worry too much in this respect though, its by no means a deal breaker for either system.

Handling and ergo differences are minimal imo. Ak is heavier, mag changes are slower, and the base versions are not as ergonomic as M4. It wont take long though running the AK every weekend before you get used to it and get over the quirks of the platform. That being said though it you get down to the nitty gritty M4 is faster and more ergonomic.

If your going balls out on your build, I would go for the platform that gives you the look and feel you want. From what it sounds like your gonna spend the money on upgrades and your building a whole new kit around it so really it comes down to what what makes you feel the most tacticool when your out on the field.
Jolly_Green is offline   Reply With Quote