View Single Post
Old April 8th, 2013, 08:39   #43
Drake
E-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by zone 69 View Post
Let me see if I have this right.
I have my radio set to 13FRS 467.6875 and CTCSS tone set TX 103.5 and RX 103.5
I can only transmit and receive on channel 13FRS 467.6875.
Will I be able to use other channel's or do I have to reset the CTCSS tone.

It depends on the radios: if you're programming channels, then each channel will have its own CTCSS tone assigned (or disabled); if you're in "direct input" mode (arbitrarily tuning frequencies) then the CTCSS tone will usually stay to whatever you set it. Some radios (namely COTS FRS and GMRS radios, as well as a few programmable Chinese versions like the PX-888K) will let you set a CTCSS tone on a stored (programmed) channel (frequency).

So it really depends on your radio:

If you have a FRS/GMRS radio, you'll have a 103.5hz CTCSS tone set on channel 13 but none (or a different one) set on other channels;

If you have a UHF radio and you're manually entering frequencies (rather than using programmed ones) the CTCSS tone will stay set when you change frequencies;

If you have a UHF radio you've programmed, which doesn't allow easy changing of CTCSS frequencies (PX777, Motorola Sabre II, etc) then the channel either has CTCSS set to a given tone from when you programmed it, or it stays off;

If you have a UHF radio you've programmed, which allows you to set CTCSS tones on a programmed channel (PX888 etc), then you'll be able to set a 103.5hz CTCSS tone on channel 13 and it will usually be applied to only channel 13 (i.e. you can set a different one on different channels).

* note I'm citing examples for radios I know: there's a metric buttload of brands/models and I don't know the capabilities of all of em.