View Single Post
Old February 14th, 2013, 09:36   #3
AshleyAshes

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_A_N_K View Post
Assuming you are located in the GTA
Believe it or not, Ottawa. Though it's set in Toronto we're doing all our filming at Algonquin College in Ottawa. Though the school has been nice enough to let us use the police program's Impala, the paramedic program's Ambulance and the nursing program's 13 bed medical simulation ER. We'll use some crafty tricks to add the CN tower and a few things to Ottawa's own skyline to pass it off at T-Dot. That said, I'm moving on to advancing my film and TV education at Sheridan in Oakville, so I'll continue shooting this production as shorts and vignettes out of the GTA then.

Quote:
Also it would be a good idea to let local law enforcement know where and when you plan on shooting if the area is publically accessible.
We have a special constable from the Ottawa Police Service helping us out in an unoffical capacity for 'technical support' and he's the one bringing us the gas blowback sigs and M4s. We have that part covered.

Quote:
I am not sure on the legaility of the TPS Patch, but without context someone can easily interpret you as impersonating a police officer (Summary Conviction btw) so another good reason to give local leo's a heads up.
It's actually not the patch. Weather it generically said police or a specific department, it's just as much a problem or NOT a problem. When filming and people only looking like police for filming, there's no issue or violation of S.130 of the criminal code. Because when you see police and cameras and lights, no one thinks you're the cops. There's no concerns about 'personating a peace officer' so long as you execute common sense that'd be used on any film shoot. Obviously the talent will take the shirts and vests off when the go to lunch though. That said, there is one tiny legal issue that's civil rather than criminal. That emblem is a trademark of the TPS and The City of Toronto. We just figure they probably won't sue us for being so small scale. (And you just can't get generic Canadian police patches. American ones are easy, with stars and eagels and stuff, not Canadian though.)