Thread: AK vs M4 (AR)
View Single Post
Old October 9th, 2018, 16:12   #3
Einstein

Here are some of my observations

The AK:

pros:

-I find AK's to be generally more solid
-The variants of the AK family are less similar than the variants of the AR family, thus I feel like a unique look is easier to pull off
-To me the AK is more visually pleasing
-Assembling and disassembling an AK is easy (I must confess, I have never opened an M4)
-The V3 gearbox has a better shell and a motor cage, this leads to a good protection for your internals.
-At games, the AK is very easy to repair on the field if you have a spare gearbox and a screwdriver. Just take the handle off, the selector switch, unscrew the hop-up to slide it forward and swap the gearbox (In all of my AK’s, the hop-up had a block in front of them that could be removed by hand which allowed to slide the hop-up unit far enough to free the gear box).
-I like the release for the mags. Being able to press the release mechanism at the same time as taking out the mag and doing this with one hand comes more natural to me than with the AR where you need to press the release button with your trigger finger and catch the mag with the other hand.
-You can have the battery in the stock or under the dust cover. This is great as both the dust cover and ak stock usually accept bigger batteries than AR's. And when you have a folding or retractable stock you don’t have to fight with the god awful front rail batteries or battery PEQ boxes (which i hate personally)
-AK's seem to have a better fps when compared with an AR with the same length and spring. This translates to less strain on your gearbox for the same output.
-I find AK hop-ups easier to adjust and you can lock em down with the screw.
-I like the hold on an AK, even without a foregrip.
-Since the AK is so widespread, the number of looks you can pull off are varied and numerous: military, insurgent, militia, pirate…

Cons:

-Reloading at night is terrible with an AK. This problem is helped by equipping a frontal red light to your head gear.
-The V3 is prone to semi lock-ups which means your semi automatic rate of fire is cut down due -to the fact that you need to make sure you gearbox has completed its cycle.
-Cheap AK are almost always wobbly.
-When laying down, the long curved mags make it hard to aim properly.
-The mags take a lot of space.
-Optics are harder to use because of the higher rails and bad cheek weld.
-The rail space doesn’t extend close enough to the magwell, I like to grip my gun very closely to the mag which means accessories like grips, lights etc. require me to take an uncomfortable grip.
-Most milsim games will not allow AK’s in NATO teams, thus you can’t rock the popular and battle proven multicam and the latest plate carrier with your AK during realistic milsim events.

Non-issues:

-Reload speed. When you can see your airsoft, i find that reloading speed with the AK to be a non-issue, with practice i've become only fractions of seconds slower than most of my AR wielding friends.
-Rail space is a non-issue now due to the vast mods and attachments that are now available for the AK

These were the observations I’ve made from playing with 4 different AK’s in my 4 years in airsoft.
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote